RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: 209 primers in an inline?

Boolit Buddy

209 primers in an inline?

Tripple 7 Win.209's are about $8 to &10 a hundred,regular 209's are around$4.What difference would it make to use some brand of regular 209 primers in my inlines?

Boolit Master

I've used standard 209 primers for several years with my inline muzzleloader.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I only use regular 209 primers in my inlines. There are problems using the "special 209" primers in many guns. The Triple 7 primers aren't as hot as a regular shotgun primer and if you have a long flash tube in your breech plug you may have problems. It's reported that the dreaded crud ring using Triple 7 powder is worse when using Triple 7 primers.

Boolit Master
    All 209 primers are not equal... the 777 primers are not as hot as many other 209 primers...they will not work well in some muzzleloading applications..especially BH209 that requires a hot primer.. they specifically tell you not to use 777 primers... I use Federal 209A or CCI magnum primers to ignite BH209 primers in my Knights.. previously I used Win 209's but had a few issues.
    Hope this helps..
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    I have used Win.,and CCI and have had no problems.
    Just lately bought some of the REM. made for black powder and have yet to try them.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Muzzleloader specific primer are made less "hot" (powerfull) to compensate for the se7en "crud ring". For the most part, a hotter primer is better on most other subs. I have been using winchester w209 for everything for many years

Perm-Banned
    i use the hottest primer i can get and like them, the muzzleloader primers are a ripoff in price and quality. all my side locks and my son inline use 209 primers and black horn 209 powder. no cleaning and always go off.

Boolit Master
    T7 and Winchester Blue Box 209's in Omega, never once not go boom! I also wipe between shots and loading is a non issue.

I shoot Winchester 209 primers in both of my CVA in-lines. Never had a dud with them. Can't say that for primers that are said to be better for in-lines.

Yes....I like that they are cheaper and for me work better.

Perm-Banned
    these regular shot gun primers are so hot guys have made them as the power source for a .117 pellet in a break action rifle. they lined a h and r shot gun with a .177 barrel and made the back area to accept a shotgun primer. a good reliable pellet gun.

In Remembrance

Stopped shooting trap and skeet about 30 years back. Got my Remington in line 50 when they came out. Got a conversion kit for it to use 209 shotgun primers and have been using up the last 1k of those shotshell primers since then. I`ve used regular BP, BT 209, 777 and pyrodex powders with no problems with those primers.Robert

Boolit Master
    Any 209 I could get I use and I tape the muzzle and do not shoot till season is over or kill something ,never had a misfire ,but I did miss once !

Boolit Master
    I have been using the nobel sport primers of late at 2.65 a hundred , they work just fine with real black , before that I used Winchesters , federals and remingtions my hunting load and 777 clover leafed at 50 yards and I didn't wory about any better than that the deer never noticed a difference

also never had a miss fire as long as I had a clean flash channel , make sure to pop 3 caps to make sure that flash channel in the breach plug is clear of all oil before loading up for a hunt

it also doesn't hurt to put a sock over the muzzle and store them muzzle down you get less oil in the flash channel that way

I missed twice right in a row once , yup that deer wandered back in just about the time I had reloaded , shot at her again , she came back again but ran off just as I pulled the ram rod , I shot that one at a dead tree just to find I was almost a foot off at 25 yards all i needed to do was aim 9 inches left of where I wanted to hit , I had a scope issue and hadn't realized she had been looking right at me for every shot had she been broad side I would have hit her
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02-02-2015 at 02:21 PM.