WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: You can't shoot that in a 1911

Boolit Buddy

You can't shoot that in a 1911

Stopped at Wally World tonight and saw they had some 45 acp lead round nose cartridges in the showcase. I pointed them out to the clerk and said I was surprised to see them. We got to talking and he said he had just recently bought a Rock Island 1911. When I asked if he had shot any of the lead round nose to save any money he said there was no way he was shooting them in his 1911. I asked if it was because of a leading problem. He told me leading wasn't the problem. The problem was that he had a 1911 pistol and 45 acp ammo was not designed to shoot in a 1911. Only cartridges marked 1911 would work. 45 acp would work fine in any other .45 acp pistol just not 1911's. I thought he was joking at first but it didn't take long to realize he was dead serious.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Buddy

My head hurts. But I have heard worse sadly. Seen 10mm and 9? Both firing as single shots idiots couldn't figure out why. Ummm because you are shooting wrong caliber out of em.

Boolit Master
    I was in wally world the other day. No worries about getting the wrong info or ammo. Shelves looked like they always have. Little or no ammo. Lady said they got what was sent. Either that or the employees are saving it for their friends. Or selling to the gun show dealers. Truly pitiful. Frank

Boolit Bub

I love it when I hear the gunslingers behind the counter cranking out the great advice!

The WM I normally go to has the shelves full of ammo. EXCEPT 22LR!
    "Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight" ~Col. Jeff Cooper~

Boolit Master

Feel your pain while ago at a public range I was shooting at cause I didn't own the farm yet and it was close to home, saw 3 older guys and a young kid all standing around in what I call the duh head scratch confused look. I said what's the trouble guys? Wish I wouldn't have asked!The 22lr cartridges kept falling out of the 222 Ruger 77 they were loading them into. I said guys that's a center fire rifle, got the look again, it won't work wrong ammo for that gun. The oldest of them asked me for real if .22 mag would work. The other folks with him got what I was saying, the lost guy owned all the weapons they had at the range and was giving some friends and a kid a shooting lesson!!!!! And he didn't know what ammo his rifle.fired and was just gonna try stuff until SOMETHING went bang!

Boolit Master

Yes it's truly pathetic, the bad news is it's getting worse by the Minute.
    Just check out youtube and search for fools with ( add your own search term ) or fails with. I was amazed at the total lack of brain cells of any kind.
    Most of these folks would last about 5 seconds around my camp. The gun stuff ? totally mind blowing.

I see it constantly at my little range. At times I wish I had some soft body Armor, and my range is a semi privet range.

Humanity is in a downward spiral.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    I see it constantly at my little range. At times I wish I had some soft body Armor, and my range is a semi privet range.
    Body Armor is cheap - what's your life worth? - remember most soft armor is only good against handgun rounds.

https://drmorgear.wordpress.com/
    soft
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/body-armor.html

plate armor
    http://www.maingun.biz/Body_Armor_St...12twocurve.htm
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator Emeritus

I picked up a box of 380 at WalMart on Monday to replenish my stock until I am totally setup to reload it. Dweeb behind the counter starts going on how that wasn't any good past a few feet etc etc then asked what gun my husband used. I told him it was for my pistol and I was headed to the range if he would care to watch me hit the steel flip targets at 20 yards with it... silence was golden...

Funny stuff there MaryB
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I really enjoy a good story before I turn in for the night.........thanks, I will chuckle all night as I dream of silly people instead of the bad stuff on the news.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    Where does one find this ammo marked 1911?
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master

The scary thing is they are buying guns instead of trying to buy common sense which we all know is getting more and more uncommon!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    Where does one find this ammo marked 1911?
    It the ammo with green stuff growing on it.

Boolit Master

Ouch that's gonna heart at some pont. Err bang.

Banned
    On the .380Auto topic: I encountered a truck driver with some type of Soviet era Makarov pistol and noticed that he had .380 cartridges in the magazine. Now a lot of Makarov's are rebarreled in .380 but this one clearly had the original 9x18 barrel. I politely attempted to tell him that it wasn't chambered in .380 but he would have nothing to do with my warning. He said it cycled fine and therefore it was "A 380" .
    Another individual that had a Sig P230 purchased 9mm luger cartridges for it because the slide was marked 9mm Kurz. He was shocked when the 9mm Luger cartridges wouldn't chamber. When told that the gun wasn't chambered for the 9mm luger; he said "it is a 9mm". I commented that technically he was right and wished him luck.

Keep in mind those people vote. And drive. And breed.

Banned
    You just can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    Stopped at Wally World tonight and saw they had some 45 acp lead round nose cartridges in the showcase. I pointed them out to the clerk and said I was surprised to see them. We got to talking and he said he had just recently bought a Rock Island 1911. When I asked if he had shot any of the lead round nose to save any money he said there was no way he was shooting them in his 1911. I asked if it was because of a leading problem. He told me leading wasn't the problem. The problem was that he had a 1911 pistol and 45 acp ammo was not designed to shoot in a 1911. Only cartridges marked 1911 would work. 45 acp would work fine in any other .45 acp pistol just not 1911's. I thought he was joking at first but it didn't take long to realize he was dead serious.
    What is scary is that these kind of ignorant (I can't call them stupid - just ignorant - there is a difference - I am ignorant of nuclear plasma physics but I COULD learn) eople actually WORK behing the gun counter in places like this and give advice to customers. Man, that kind of stupidity will get them sued someday.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

about like the gun salesman at gander mountain I herd telling a customer that was looking at a 454 raging bull tarrus that he knew of two grown men that broke there hands shooting one just like it.

Someone here has a signature line that I love. Something about not arguing with people whose education exceeds their intelligence. I swear some of the wm gun counter people I talk to do not even have a GED.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast