Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning 1885 22 Hornet

Browning 1885 22 Hornet

I am thinking of buying this from a friend of mine. It sure is pretty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0812.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

A work; of art!
    1 Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I have one just like it.. It likes Lil Gun Powder..Will shoot dime sized groups at 100yds..

Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    I have one just like it.. It likes Lil Gun Powder..Will shoot dime sized groups at 100yds..
    A pound of Lil Gun will go a long way in a Hornet.

Boolit Master
    Tim, you shouldn't even think about it. Just do it! My favorite gun for the last two years has been my Browning/Miroku 1885 Low Wall in 357max. My next gun will probably be another Miroku 1885 (with a Win name on it) in 22 Hornet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    A pound of Lil Gun will go a long way in a Hornet.
    It will indeed. Mine is a picky eater, but loves the LiL Gun..

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Tim, you shouldn't even think about it. Just do it! My favorite gun for the last two years has been my Browning/Miroku 1885 Low Wall in 357max. My next gun will probably be another Miroku 1885 (with a Win name on it) in 22 Hornet.
    I know...I know... The nice thing about it is I can take it and shoot it all I want before I decide. I have the dies and brass and bullets and powder and I know if I shoot it I will own it.

Boolit Master
    Try the Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tip and Lil Gun if you have those components...

Boolit Master
    That is a nice gun, I almost bought one in 22 Hornet. I have two Browning Low-walls like that, one in 223 Remington and one in 260 Remington.

Boolit Master
    I also have a Sako K-Hornet from the Late 50's that was my fathers pet rifle .It has a Canjar trigger ,and it is not a picky eater at all.
    It is my beaver rifle.Whenever a beaver gets in the pond, I can take the top of his head off with that rifle..
    Last edited by Clay M; 01-27-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Buy that beautiful rifle, or I will!
    I've found only 2 in the past 3 years, and purchased both- the first, in 45Colt, which I plan on rebarreling or relining to a more mellow, historic caliber, although it shoots very well as a 45Colt. The latest I just purchased was originally a 44Mag, relined already by Lee Shaver to 32-40-- sweet- I expect great accuracy to come--
    Did anyone mention that Browning put some really high-grade walnut on these little rifles? The kind of quality not seen these days on rifles that most men can afford--
    I will buy every one I can find, wallet willing!

358wcf

Boolit Mold
    I just recently purchased one in .22 hornet. I was aware of the .223 bore, but I measured the twist at 1 in 171/4 to 171/2 which concerns me! I would like to load down to .22WMR velocity, 1900-2000 fps. I have a box of Hornady 40grn. Vmax. Any suggestions on loads?
    I also have a high wall in 45-70, a low wall in .17M2, and .22LR (the most accurate .22 I've every owned) and I've owned a bunch!! Also have two original low walls in 32-20 and .22LR. I do cast for all the centerfires but would like to stick with jacketed in the Hornet until I can find a 225107 mould. As you can see I am obsessed with 85's. Thanks

Perma-Banned

Tim, that sucker is sweet buddy. You should grab it if the price is decent. The 22 hornet is a great cartridge. I am biased of course as I have a serious addiction to single shot rifles!

Boolit Master
    The Browning advertisement I have on the 1885 Low Wall rifles shows a 1-16" twist for the Hornet, 1-12" for the 223 and 1-10 for the 243.

I've owned almost every low wall Browning produced. I believe my first was in .223 in 1994 (the others were .243, .260, 22 Hornet & .357 Mag ("traditional"). Anyway, I've sold them all, but can't let myself sell the Hornet (nor the .357). I'd guess I've potted several thousand 'sage rats' in Eastern Oregon, along with lots of jackrabbits, coyotes and a few crows.

The neat thing about the Hornet is that one can literally shoot all day long and even with (maybe because?) the thin octagon barrel, it never seems to heat up. The 1-16" twist doesn't bother me as most of my loads are 35 & 40 gr. bullets.

On another site, someone started a thread asking for opinions on the most graceful firearm ever. IMHO, Browning's low wall is at the top of that list. Buy it....you'll love it!

Boolit Master
    Wow that is pretty!
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Wish they had done them in 25-20 & 32-20. I'd probably own one of each
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    My old shooting buddy who is dead now had a Ruger #1 in .22 Hornet.He worked and worked on it trying to get it to shoot.It was no match for my Browning once I found the right load..

Boolit Master
    What probably kept me from buying the 22 Hornet is the fact that I can down load the 223 and with the 1-12" twist not have to worry about stabilizing the bullet.

Boolit Master
    I have always loved the little Hornet,of course I grew up shooting my Fathers old Sako.
    Whenever I wanted to show off for my friends ,I always took that rifle out..
    We use to fill beer cans with water and shoot them from the hood of the truck.. Shoot till you miss.
    Great memories of my childhood..
    We loaded all that stuff on an old Herter's C press. The Dies weren't worth a Damn either...
    Last edited by Clay M; 01-28-2015 at 07:50 PM.