Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Patching bore riders vs non bore riders and wrapping the base

Boolit Man

Patching bore riders vs non bore riders and wrapping the base

When PP'ing a bore riding bullet, do you wrap the bore riding section, or just the drive bands/base? How far up the bore rider / ogive

Speaking of wrapping the base, what if you don't? If I only wrap the drive band portion, can the bullet blow by the patch when fired?

When you have a normal bullet (no bore rider, but significantly pointed ogive), should you wrap the ogive or just the drive bands, and if so how far?

I guess what I am getting at is do you want the patch to be engraved on the rifling, just touching the rifling, or have a small jump to the rifling when the cartridge is chambered.

Boolit Grand Master

A bore riding bullet should fit snugly in the bore its full length The idea being that it is seated very shallow into the case and the bullet sits in the bore on firing it obtrates to fill rifling and grip. Depending on action .001 over bore size is as far as you can go. On a groove dia bullet wrap to end or just slightly past the driving dia. Wrapping a nose that is already bore dia will require seating deeper into case than neccesary. Wrapping just the dia of the bullet with no fold over or tail will allow bullet to pass leaving paper wrap in bore and a bore obstruction. The fold over /tail stops this.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A bore riding bullet should fit snugly in the bore its full length The idea being that it is seated very shallow into the case and the bullet sits in the bore on firing it obtrates to fill rifling and grip. Depending on action .001 over bore size is as far as you can go. On a groove dia bullet wrap to end or just slightly past the driving dia. Wrapping a nose that is already bore dia will require seating deeper into case than neccesary. Wrapping just the dia of the bullet with no fold over or tail will allow bullet to pass leaving paper wrap in bore and a bore obstruction. The fold over /tail stops this.
    Thanks for the info. I guess when I said "bore rider" I meant a dual diameter bullet where the nose is a bore rider and the rear of the bullet has the driving bands. With those, from what you just told me, I assume you would wrap those the same as a drive band bullet as you described. Correct?

Boolit Grand Master

Yes you would wrap them to front of drive band and roll a tail under. Keep in mind that a bullet needs to be undersized to wrap it to size.

On account of the throat dimensions a boolit that fits the bore and grooves can still be patched up to fit the throat. It is possible to fully support a nose rider with a nose under bore diameter if the paper will survive the bore trip.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''