WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pressure Differences Between Hodgdon Triple Seven's ffg vs. fffg

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Ordering a case of BP online is barely any trouble or expense for me. Having 4 pounds of Black Powder that I may never use seems foolish. "Kind of feel sorry" that would be like me saying that "I kind of feel sorry for people who have to shoot rifles of ancient design using an obsolete propellant." I shoot many pounds of powder every year, just not Black Powder. The .22 Hornet and 30 BR may sip propellant but the 30-06 and 25 Krag Ackley Improved burn it at a much higher rate, not to mention all the other rifles I have in the safe. Save your pity for starving children in Africa. Yeah, I know your chosen minor firearm pursuit is superior to all others! anyone not shooting Black Powder is just a plebe.

Tim

Well I guess I just can't say anything right! When I said I kind of felt sorry for someone who only shoots a pound or so of powder a year I honestly meant I just felt sorry for those folks who don't get the chance, for whatever reason, to shoot a lot more than that and for all the fun they are missing. I never at all meant it as a smart@%% remark and I honestly TRIED to agree that someone who only shoots a pound or so a year probably shouldn't order more powder than they might use for many years! Apparently, just like that breech plug/pyrodex connection that never even occurred to me until you mentioned it, I suppose you will just read into whatever I say to mean whatever it is you want. Let's just drop it, ok?

Boolit Master

For what it is worth, hylander is right in that in California you are only allowed to have 1 lb at a time. Since this is a ridiculous and never enforced law we all just have to ignore it. The shops rarely carry it as the storage rules are very tough to follow and make it totally not profitable for them. I just split an order with other BP shooters. In the last 8 years I have asked 3 firefighters, who should know, how much Blackpowder I am allowed to have, and none of them had any idea, which shows it just isn't a problem. A lb of BP does not go very far, my wife and I shot more than that at the California Championship shoot. And I shoot BP in at least 2 shoots a month.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    You likely won't find any blackpowder at a Gunshow. Why order a case, when you can get 5 lbs? Why not just call over to Doyline and ask them where the closest place you can buy a pound of powder over the counter is?
    Oh, a case is more than 5 pounds, I would get what seems reasonable when I go search for some more in earnest, I don't know about Doyline, do you think he knows who stocks Black Powder in my area. I have check around a lot and I have not found anyone who stocks any reloading supplies other than for muzzle loaders. Any place I haven't checked is probably a two hour round trip but for caps, powder and who knows what, could make it worth the trip.

I just googled Doyline Black Powder, were you making a joke? Millions of pounds of improperly stored Black Powder!!!!!!!

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Well I guess I just can't say anything right! When I said I kind of felt sorry for someone who only shoots a pound or so of powder a year I honestly meant I just felt sorry for those folks who don't get the chance, for whatever reason, to shoot a lot more than that and for all the fun they are missing. I never at all meant it as a smart@%% remark and I honestly TRIED to agree that someone who only shoots a pound or so a year probably shouldn't order more powder than they might use for many years! Apparently, just like that breech plug/pyrodex connection that never even occurred to me until you mentioned it, I suppose you will just read into whatever I say to mean whatever it is you want. Let's just drop it, ok?
    We can, I can let it go, sorry for repeatedly misunderstanding you, I will accept some of the blame for the miscommunication.

Tim

dtknowles, how far from you is this guy?

http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/#!form__map/c24vq

Might be a solution.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    dtknowles, how far from you is this guy?

http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/#!form__map/c24vq

Might be a solution.

-Nobade
    Thanks, it is about 2 hours one way. I live as far east as you can go on I-10 in Louisiana at the intersection of I-10, I-12, and I-59. Just west of the big swamp, Honey Island and the Pearl River delta.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I just googled Doyline Black Powder, were you making a joke? Millions of pounds of improperly stored Black Powder!!!!!!!
    Doyline La. the location of the Goex powder plant.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

900+ new laws in CA each year for the past 7 years and your worried about having more than one pound of B/P ?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    For what it is worth, hylander is right in that in California you are only allowed to have 1 lb at a time.
    I read some of the code covering California law on powders.
    It's pretty plain that one can only keep 1 pound of black powder on hand, but another part of the code tells how five pounds is legal to transport.

So, it almost seems like you can only have a pound in the house ... but you can keep five more out in your car.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Ok it's only legal to keep one pound of uber-super high explosive nuclear BP powder at home but how many gallons of gasoline is allowed? What about a tank or two of LP gas for the bar-b-q?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123