RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Triple Seven fffg Catridge Catastrophe???

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Actually post #5 answered his question quite completely. Hogdons says to use only 2f 777 in cartridges.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

I'm glad someone else asked this question as I'm considering using this powder in a couple of cartridges since I have a couple of pounds sitting on the shelf. 8x57 and 35 Winchester are my thoughts but I haven't started loading any yet.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    Southern shooter, I am not very good at being PC, but for goodness sake, hijacking a thread that's only a few minutes old is really looking hard to make sure that everyone knows one is morally superior than we poor souls who choose to shoot subs.
    longinosoap, I am not sure if you are referencing me in this statement. But, if you are, how can I be hijacking a thread that was my thread to begin with???

Moderator Emeritus
    Lets us get back on topic here without arguing about who said what. This is a shooting forum not a school playground, we've made space to separate the true blacks from the not true blacks so lets not find other issues to fight over, surely life is too short.

For what it is worth my experiences with 777 have not been good and would recommend adhering completely to the manufacturers recommendations I certainly would not be confident in venturing beyond that as I have found it unpredictable and not very forgiving.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    dromia,
    Would you share with us what specifically was unpredictable about 777? And, in what way was it not forgiving?

Thank you

Boolit Mold
    Southern Shooter, I was referencing post #3.

Boolit Buddy
    longinosoap, I apologize. My mistake.

Moderator Emeritus
    I found 777 to be very compression sensitive and prone to velocity/pressure spikes for no obvious reason.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, dromia. That would not be a good thing...especially in a Colt clone.

Were the velocity/pressure spikes connected to compression of the 777? Or, were they totally random experiences?

Thanks
    Last edited by Southern Shooter; 04-23-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Moderator Emeritus
    I suspect that some were and others had no obvious reason.

Bear in mind after trying this in a three cartridges one straight walled and two bottlenecked along with a M/L revolver and a percussion rifle, I just gave up on it. I haven't tried to find out what was going on, just that this powder didn't work for me. I only used it as I had a couple of pounds come in in a deal. I'm a BP shooter really.

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    I've only used 777 in muzzleloading long guns (FFG) and all of my experience with it has been positive. So much so in fact that we use it in our flintlocks as well. It makes reloading in single digit temperatures with a deer looking at you a lot more easier. Of course the new fangeled mini's called Power Belts help a lot too.

Motor

PS: As far as Pyrodex goes I've always cleaned my guns the same day I used them. I guess good cleaning habits is why I never noticed how terrible it truly is.

Perm-Banned
    i use blackhorn 209 powder in my colt clones and this is the reason. very accurate and a lot cleaner shooting that 777. also it fills the case behind the bullet. its not a magnum load either and that another good thing. quite a while back when i switched to 209 powder i poured my 777 powder and pyrodex powder on the flower bed. works wonders in makeing them bloom better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    I've only used 777 in muzzleloading long guns (FFG) and all of my experience with it has been positive. So much so in fact that we use it in our flintlocks as well. It makes reloading in single digit temperatures with a deer looking at you a lot more easier. Of course the new fangeled mini's called Power Belts help a lot too.

Motor
    So, I had trouble with ignition of 777 in a caplock. I had heard it would not work at all in a flintlock yet you are using it? Are you using it in the pan as well? Have you compared lock times between 3f black and 777?

PS I stopped using it in the caplock because of the 'crud ring' as well as the ignition issues. Went back to Pyrodex.

Banned
    It's garbage. Alliant Black is a direct sub, much cleaner and no warnings.

Boolit Master
    just bought a lb of ff to tryout in my 45-70. After reading this thru, think I'll just dump it out.

Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    just bought a lb of ff to tryout in my 45-70. After reading this thru, think I'll just dump it out.
    Don't. It works fine. Just keep the fouling wiped and you're good. I won't buy any more but have shot a lot of it through cartridge guns with no problems.

I'm pretty new to this but I fired my first 45-70 test round last week using 59gr. volume triple 7 ffg. The recoil felt somewhere between my Unique reduced load and my 3031 hunting load. ( I know this isn't very good science) Anyway primer looked fine and the burn was VERY clean almost no fouling in the case and less smoke than I expected. I'm going to try it in my inline next. If it works as good in that application as the cartridge I doubt I'll toss it out. Gp

Boolit Master
    I started using 777 FFg or FFFg back when it came out, when I couldn't find black local. At the time there was no load data, just a sheet of paper with recommended loads. I used either FFg or FFFg in .44-40 and .45 Colt. For 7 1/2 barreled pistols I used a full case with about 1/16" compression for years but I have backed off on the charge to 20 gr in pistols with the rest filled with grits to get the 1/16" compression. Old hands can't take the recoil any more. Rifles, Model 73, Lighting, and 92's all get the full load. I never thought to look for load data after all the loading over the years.

Boolit Buddy
    ******** brad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast