RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: 32-40 Dies Help????

32-40 Dies Help????

Hi guys I just rcvd from a great guy here a standard lee 2 die set for 32-40.
    My question is:::: The first die sizes and deprimes. The second die seats the bullet!
    What does a guy do to expand the neck to accept a cast bullet?
    Thanks for your help here!
    Terry

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What does a guy do to expand the neck to accept a cast bullet?
    They foolishly spend the big bucks for a M-Die or from Track of the Wolf or other vendors expander plugs for $3.00 that are used with the Lee Expansion Die. Id one is a BPCR reloader, the plug can also be used as a compression die in the Lee die
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

For an immediate expedient, grab a set of pointed nosed pliers and insert closed in the neck of the case. Give 'em a slight push and twist, wallah, expanded neck. Now seat boolit. Other things that will work include inserting a bottle necked case that will fit and giving a light tap to slightly bell the case. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    What kind of press are you using?

On a Dillon 550B, you'll have to get a bit creative finding a powder funnel that will open .32-40 case mouths. Unless they have made a funnel for this caliber and I have missed noticing, one can use their funnel "C" to expand the case mouth.

For a single stage press, RCBS makes a "Cowboy" expander die for the .32-40. I checked my die sets to see if I had an extra to give to you, but nope, I don't have an extra in that nor in .32WS.

Boolit Master
    32-40 brass is very thin so its easy to re-form its mouth edge so's to accept cast lead without its shaving or collapsing its cartridges neck. Got a 223 handy. After the 32-40s resizing. Just roll the 223 loaded rd around the 32-40s inside edge of its mouth lip with a little outward pressure applied. Old timer who primarily shot Winchester High Walls showed me that useful Tip at our gun clubs bench rest area one afternoon years ago. I've used his Tip a couple of times on my 32-40s. Works good when one doesn't have a Expander Die right then and there to use.

Hey there Terry -- Whilst the Lee die set will get you by, The RCBS Cowboy die set will work far better. Especially if you need a larger diameter bullet, say in the .323" or .324" variety.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32-40 basics.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	128716

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind