Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea salt

Boolit Master

Sea salt

What's the deal with sea salt? A lot of foodies sing of its' virtues. I've been to the oceans on both coasts and know what goes into them. Why would I want to use that on my food?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    To me, it has a better taste. Try a pound, get iodized, of course.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Real Salt is the best in my opinion. From a salt mine in Utah. There is little to nothing I would ingest from the ocean.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Fish "DO IT" in sea water! So have at it.

Actually all salt mined or recovered is from either a current or acient sea. And in Detroit (I drove there for 10 years) all the salt on the roads just is recycled after it seeps back into the ground.

Potable sea salt is just a way to get more money from users that think it is somehow different than NaCl. What ever floats your boat.

I've got some (wife bought it) and I cannot tell any difference. I preffer powdered salt rather than granules.

banger

Boolit Master

Sea salt has more minerals in it, no iodine and has a slightly different flavor than regular salt. With my taste buds I can barely tell the difference specially on chips and popcorn but some will swear by it.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    how you taste a salt has a lot to do with it's grain size sea salt is often a larger grain than refined table salt

there is also refined sea salt that is no different in size

I like Kosher salt for it's larger grain size , but even find a difference between brands , David's Kosher salt is more of a flake than Mortons Kosher salt that is more of a chunk

how long the salt will sit on your taste buds changes how you perceive the taste

Boolit Buddy
    I like the salt from Bonneville Salt Flats. It taste like burnt rubber and transmission fluid. Puts hair on your chest!
    PS: Those of us who have had by-pass surgery know better than to eat salt.

Boolit Grand Master

As a potter, I make and sell "Salt Pigs", which are small ceramic pots, of which the inside is not glazed and allows course salt to sit in the open air and not clump.
    I sell quite a few of them, and the demand for them has picked up over the last 3-4 years with the public becoming aware of the properties of sea sat. I grew up living on top of one of the largest salt mines in the country, and my wife says I would salt salt for flavor. That said, guess this is one of those issues that is a "to each his own" thing. I started using sea salt and kosher salt a few years back for cooking, and find that I have cut down on the amount of table salt that I use (for what ever that is worth)! Have been asked to make salt shakers with large holes for sea salt, and when I explain Salt Pigs, most people opt for them. By the way, they are very common in Europe.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Moderator Emeritus

All salt is technically "sea salt" it is just from ancient dried up sea beds. The stuff made in ponds from sea water I would steer clear of now. Fukushima radiation is starting to show up all over.

I use kosher salt, Mortons usually because it is the most widely available. I cannot stand the taste of idodized salt now, it is bitter tasting to me after using non-iodized salt for years. My iodine levels must be fine, thyroid tests each year come back normal.

Most if not all sea salt does not contain added aluminum oxide. A vey toxic metal. Morton started adding this as an agent to prevent clumping. "when it rains it pours". You do not want that Al in your body. Causes over eighty health issues and diseases.
    Store I shop at Hain Pure Foods sea salt is the same price as Mortons with aluminum.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using Pink Salt lately. No particular reason but I like the taste better. I end up putting less on my food as well. Still use iodized salt in small quantities so I get my iodine.

Boolit Master
    I can't really tell the difference. There must be something in it that we need besides the iodine. Ever notice how deer will return to an old stump that had a block on it years ago? It's funny to watch them kick at it, trying to get any bit of salt out. I heard they will travel sometimes miles for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    I can't really tell the difference. There must be something in it that we need besides the iodine. Ever notice how deer will return to an old stump that had a block on it years ago? It's funny to watch them kick at it, trying to get any bit of salt out. I heard they will travel sometimes miles for it.

Look on the side of almost any food and you will see the recommended daily allotment of Na the human body needs. And then how much your food item has in it We all need it, but get waaaaaay too much in today's prepaired foods. NaCl is a taste enhancer and manufacturers use it in liberal abundance in just about everything we buy today.

Remember, in the acient days workers and soldiers were paid in salt!

Good people were referred to as "the salt of the earth."

Animals sense the need of NaCl in thier diet. Ranchers and farmers put out salt lick blocks and you never see cows OD'ing on it! They know eactly how much they need per day.

banger

Boolit Master
    I enjoy sea salt with fresh asparagus from the garden lightly sautéed in olive oil and a light sprinkling of sea salt.
    As a main course, fat ribeye over charcoal with black and white pepper and sea salt.
    YUMMMM!
    Lab
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Moderator Emeritus

Home cooks under salt their steaks when they grill them. For that restaurant taste use a LOT of salt. It helps draw juices to the surface where they sear into that crust that a good steak has.

Boolit Buddy

Morton Kosher for me as well MaryB, a room temperature Ribeye is the only thing that I will salt heavily now. It makes a great crusty & tasty steak when done in cast iron in a 500* oven ......
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Home cooks under salt their steaks when they grill them. For that restaurant taste use a LOT of salt. It helps draw juices to the surface where they sear into that crust that a good steak has.
    Brining meat is the way to go. Salting at time of heat application tends to make them dryer, less juicy. I brine just about all the meat I use except ground meat. Crust on meat is obtained several different ways and is mostly the type of heat and how applied or what type of coating is applied and how that is heated. My experience, yours may be different. As for sea salt, doesn't make a difference to me as I use other spices and types of cooking to provide flavor and salt is a sparing flavor enhancer unless used as a preservative as in bacon/hams/fish/pickles etc... Oh yeah, no iodized here, mostly canning or kosher type. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    and don't forget pink himalayan salt....

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I like my steaks to be able to moo. Olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, salt, toss on high heat for a bit on each side (just enough to change outside color), remove, and let rest.

Nice and rare. Mmmmmmm.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I like my steaks to be able to moo. Olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, salt, toss on high heat for a bit on each side (just enough to change outside color), remove, and let rest.

Nice and rare. Mmmmmmm.
    That's how I like mine. Unfortunately as I age my body does not like them that way anymore. Has to have a warm pink center now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast