Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 1000 or Loadmaster

Boolit Master
    Great suggestions Dave. I have always de-primed, and sized in a separate operation, and cleaned afterwards. Once this is done my brass is stored for when I need it. I have tried a few of the lee presses, and have only kept the Loadmaster, and Classic turret press. I do my brass prep on the turret press, and use it as a single stage. The Classic has a nice primer disposal system, where the loadmaster needs to be taken apart to clean out the primers, and gunk. With the upgrades available for the loadmaster most if not all of the problems it had have been ironed out. Some things I do not use are the bullet feeder, or case feeders. I do it by hand and can do about 300 rounds an hour at a normal pace without issue. The more addons you use with the lee press the more problems it creates. Between those two presses there is no reason to go middle of the road with a Hornady press or RCBS, just use the Lee's until you can afford the Dillon.

But if Mary can get the Lee loading satisfactorily for her needs, why would she need to spend more money later for a Dillon?
    One big advantage of a Lee is that if used like Dave does, extra turrets are cheap to buy. In fact, I just bought a spare 3-hole for my 1000 purely to use with the Universal de-primer - I like the idea of just dumping them into the feed tubes and away I go.

Lee do mention that the 1000 is intended primarily for pistol cartridges, so it seems to me that the Loadmaster is the obvious choice for your needs.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I do my brass prep on the turret press, and use it as a single stage. The Classic has a nice primer disposal system, where the loadmaster needs to be taken apart to clean out the primers, and gunk. It is unfortunate the Lee doesn't have primer disposal through the ram. That said, the system I'm using is faster than what you would get on a Lee's Classic Turret and it needs the extra station to provide room for the Dillon Trimmer, which does takes up some space due to the size of the motor.

Some things I do not use are the bullet feeder, or case feeders. While I agree on the bullet feeder, I would think the case feeder would work reasonably well if all the stabilizing mods are put into place for the Loadmaster.

I do it by hand and can do about 300 rounds an hour at a normal pace without issue. That is not a bad pace for a progressive. When one gets above about 400 RPH, one really needs to think about primer and powder alarms for safety, as that's about the speed where many operators begin to miss the little details in trying to keep up with the press, myself included and I'm a reasonably experienced machine operator.

The more addons you use with the lee press the more problems it creates. That's true of all the progressives.

Between those two presses there is no reason to go middle of the road with a Hornady press or RCBS, just use the Lee's until you can afford the Dillon.
    Having owned the Hornady, RCBS and Dillon presses at one time, I wouldn't advise assuming the Hornady and RCBS are middle of the road presses versus the Dillon. I prefer both the LnL and the Pro 2000 to the 550 I had. And I prefer the Pro 2000 I now have over my friend's 650 that I've operated a bunch.

There's a fella or two that's come up with a way to add a case feeder to the RCBS press and if that was done, frankly, the RCBS would be superior to the Dillon. It's easier to change over calibers and it's boringly reliable and the primer system just never fails. At least that's been my experience with it.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    But if Mary can get the Lee loading satisfactorily for her needs, why would she need to spend more money later for a Dillon? I agree with this. 10 years ago, the information wasn't as available as it is today to get a Loadmaster running properly. Today, the information is available and there's that guy that makes the mods and sells them for reasonable prices. I think his name is Mike (?).

One big advantage of a Lee is that if used like Dave does, extra turrets are cheap to buy. Cost of die holders is a big deal. They add a good bit of cost to Hornady, Dillon and RCBS. I think die plates for my RCBS are $18 apiece now retail. I bought a ton when I bought my press and got both wholesale through a buddy, but not everyone has that advantage.

Lee do mention that the 1000 is intended primarily for pistol cartridges, so it seems to me that the Loadmaster is the obvious choice for your needs. There is never a disadvantage to a press with more space for and more mass in general.
    Just my .02

Boolit Master

I enjoy my Loadmaster and also have the Classic Cast single stage. I got the Loadmaster from a friend for $100 and he was doing .223 on it. He wasn't happy with the ammo for whatever reason but I never really confirmed why. I believe I asked if it had to do with priming issues but he said no. In any case, I opted not to prime on mine, partly because of the issues that are well documented and more so because of what I wanted in each stage and the primers I was using (Lee doesn't recommend Federal primers on it). I de-cap and cap on the single stage and just feel better about it. The LM is setup for 9mm only and it just keeps working and working without issue. I'm using an M die and Hornady case activated powder drop, along with the case collator. I did get the turret stabilizer from mikes reloading bench.

Moderator Emeritus

I always batch process, deprime, swage primer pockets, tumble then I am ready to load a bunch. And some of the steps like swaging and depriming I can do while watching a movie so it is no big deal if takes time. Time I have plenty of when not running a large laser job

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy08 View Post
    RCBS announced the Pro Chucker 7 and 5 at the SHOT show. Unofficial word circulating is the Pro 2000 will go in favor of the newer 5 and 7 station progressives.
    Thanks Kilroy see the video. I'm waiting to see what limitations there will be on the press cartridge wise.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Mold
    My reloading setup is one of those plastic-topped, break-down reloading stands from Midway with two reloading presses mounted on opposite sides, a Lee Classic Cast single-stage on one side, and a Lee Pro 1000 progressive on the other. I have a spare top that mounts 12-gauge and 20-gauge reloaders. I like the Pro 1000 for cranking out the pistol ammo I shoot a lot of for practice and IDPA competition, and have shell plates set up for .45ACP and 9mm Luger, and use the single-stage for everything else. Once it's set up, the Pro 1000 works fine, and I can put out 400-500 rounds per session with no problems. The only hitch I've had with it is that the primers occasionally stick in the feed trough and let a charged, un-primed case go by. Now I usually pre-process the brass, depriming and trimming the cases, and then reprime them with a hand primer before loading them into the feed tubes; I took the depriming pin out of the resizing die. I tumble, deprime, inspect, trim, and reprime my brass in batches whenever I have some free time, until I have enough primed cases accumulated to run off a few hundred reloads at a time. The Auto-Disk powder measure that came with the press is very consistent with charges of Tite Group or Bullseye, so overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it, for pistol calibres.

Moderator Emeritus

For my pistol shooting (~100 rounds a month) the lee budget turret is fine, works fine for my low volume Pdog and coyote loads too. Only do 100 at a time. Told nephews that each has to bring 500 rounds of brass cases 223 for the AR this summer to boost my brass collection. Plan on teaching them to reload it with my help and watchful eye for no goofing around. They are very good when running the 12 gauge progressive press and turn out some really consistent trap loads. Reminds me, I better find more 7 or 8 shot...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    you will need a single to resize the brass. any lee wont last long
    My 25 year old Loadmaster disagrees.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    My 25 year old Loadmaster disagrees.
    The Loadmaster is not that old. It was introduced in 1992.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I know nothing about the 1000. I use a Lee Classic Turret as my utility press for sizing boolits and bulge busting and loading up a few rounds just to see if I like the recipe. I have a Lee hand press for at the range. The bulk of my loading is on the Lee Load Master. I shoot a lot and use the press often and have minimal problems with it. I wash my brass spent primer in, I rinse that brass and lube it while it is still wet with Lee case lube. I dry it in a food dehydrator and run it through the press letting the Load Master size and deprime in stage 1, "M" die and reprime in stage 2, charge the cases in stage 3, mechanic's mirror at stage 4 to check powder leverl and then also seat in 4, then crimp in stage 5. I have a modification that lets the spent primers and filth continuously fall out the bottom into a clear collection tube same as the Classic Turret. I have a powder baffle in the ProAuto powder measure. And that is about it for mods. I had minimal problems with original primer feed devices, huge problems with the several updated primer feed devices, and NO problem with the current new primer feed device. This same press has been in regular use since 1994. Sure, I've worn-out some inexpensive parts and even cracked 2 carrier heads on it before I learned how not to use it. I've said for years that if this one wears-out or breaks that I will buy a 650 blue or a lock'nload red. But this dang thing just keeps on keeping on. I load 30-30 and 32 SPCL on it, but not a lot; mainly pistol caliber stuff. Check-out the site: loadmastervideos.com

Try not to be overwhelmed by some of the incessant promotion of mods and after market "improvements" there. Just glean the tips for getting the system set-up and running clean and smooth. What ever you get, let us know how it goes for you.

prs

Dillon!

Boolit Buddy
    Guess I've been doing it wrong for the last 30 or so years. I will immediately junk all my Lee equipment.
    Thank's for saving me from my self.

PS: I really get enough of people bashing what works.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dnotarianni View Post
    /// Reloading with a jacketed head is going to cost you .23 per round after all the work vs .27 for your average imported steel case ready to go in the gun. Assuming the press costs you $200 plus a case trimmer and a primer pocket reamer your going to have to make 7500 good rounds based on a $300 outlay in equipment to pay for the equipment....
    Comparable .223 imported steel case is more like $0.35 a round. That would be 2000 rounds to break even or couple weekends of shooting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dnotarianni View Post
    Sorry I love my Dillon. I can beat on it like a red headed stepchild in the dark and still crank out good ammo. If your happy with your Lee I say great but Lee didnt stand up for me. My buddy likes his lee but he has 1 for each caliber so he never has to change anything. Changing calibers always caused him problems
    Indeed. To use a Lee one does have to have at least a basic understanding of how mechanical devices work. Those that never obtain that basic understanding maybe have to have Dilion.

FWIW. You only beat on presses or are you alos beating on a stepchild? Beating a stepchild is a very bad thing to do. If you are doing that I will for the 1st time on this forum put someone on my ignore list.

Boolit Master

MaryB,

I've used a Loadmaster for over 15 years and think you would find it able to fullfil your needs. I've reloaded 10,000's of rounds with it including .223, .308, 7.7, 7mm, 9mm, .38. .357, 45 LC.... you get the idea.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    Indeed. To use a Lee one does have to have at least a basic understanding of how mechanical devices work. Those that never obtain that basic understanding maybe have to have Dilion.

FWIW. You only beat on presses or are you alos beating on a stepchild? Beating a stepchild is a very bad thing to do. If you are doing that I will for the 1st time on this forum put someone on my ignore list.
    perotter:
    Beatin' like a red headed stepchild is an expression older than the hills. Since you cannot spell Dillon correctly I will explain something. Dillon does one thing and one thing only - progressives. It never fails that Dillon gets pulled into a Lee thread. I don't understand that. The OP was weighing out their two choices. I WILL NOT DEBUR, MODIFY, OR CORRECT ANY MANUFACTURER DEFECT! I bought my press back in the mid 80s, set my dies up and started loading. Been that way since. Defective stuff goes back. I use reloading tools and concentrate on the task at hand, the tool better not destract me or out it goes! The LM has the least amount of shellplates of any progressive capable of reloading long arms. I like it when manufacturers keep up with what's available. Can't wait for my 500 Linebaugh to arrive as well as the 17 PPC barrel. Yeah I needed a versatile progressive and its fits my needs then and now.

MaryB:

Weigh out your needs now and into the future. Make sure the press does what you want and understand its strengths and weaknesses - there are NO perfect progressive press made that will do what every person wants to do. The LM is on it's 3rd Gen primer feed so hopefully that has been solved. Take advantage of the modified M die plugs instead of decapper die to assist in primer feed. Mount the press SOLID! Take advantage of Pat Marlins RockDOCK or Inline Fabrications mount - both guys are members here. Use the case feeder and bullet feeders last when you get the press to do what you want. Start slow.

Most of all have fun. There are too many people who can assist with slight issues along the way.

Take care

r1kk1

actually reloading isnt dillon's main thing ( want some eye candy ? http://www.dillonaero.com/ ) fat government contracts go further than us reloaders do in the terms of millions and billions of bucks [shrugz]
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    actually reloading isnt dillon's main thing ( want some eye candy ? http://www.dillonaero.com/ ) fat government contracts go further than us reloaders do in the terms of millions and billions of bucks [shrugz]
    Yeah I know about that. He also has several other ventures. There are several brothers.
    Jesse James who hosted Monster Garage tore a project up using one!

Take care

r1kk1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast