Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 230gr 2r OAL

Boolit Master
    No need for a flame thrower, it's easy to get confused. The problem is the boolit. As newton says, get the 230-2R-TL and you'll be happy as a lark.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now that we have the correct nomenclature we can also confirm you have no throat and probably an abrupt leade, like newton had. Unmodified further your 1911 will be happiest with the 230-2R bullet. Other types will give more or less difficulty depending upon the selections you make and just how short your throat really is. Not saying they won't work, just that they won't work as well as if things were as they should be.

FWIW....Max OAL for the 45 ACP is 1.275." Correct for this bullet given my iteration is 1.260-1.270" depending upon just how abrupt your leade is. If it's cut just flat stupidly you won't have much bearing surface at all out of the case. This is best remedied if you are so inclined.

The deep seating needed of the 228-1R means reduce your powder charge.

If you were wanting to keep your mold, and use it for the time being, I would do this.

The boolit length of the 1R is .628" and the TC I have shot is .620" in length. This equates to about the same amount of powder space underneath the boolits if you seat to what you said you were seating. The Lyman lists a seating depth of 1.170" for the TC boolit.

I have no doubt you could use the data for the TC with the 1R boolit. Here is a snapshot of the Lyman tested data. I would not go over the max charge, and I would stay longer than 1.178". I can tell you I was shooting the TC boolit with a middle of the road charge and my gun was loving it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	128657

Love Life
    I have a few 1911 pistols and other guns chambered in 45 acp. Only one will accept the 452-228-1R at nominal length for 230 gr ball. All the others require the bullet to be deep seated. I wll look in my notes. It's in accurate bullet, but must be seated quite deep.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any pistol that will accept the 228-1R loaded to standard ball OAL has a really long throat. This is not the norm.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Taurus 455 revolver, it will chamber and shoot factory J-word ammo. It will not fully chamber rounds loaded with cast boolits sized .452. Size the same boolit .451 and it chambers.
    Try sizing your boolits to .451 and see if they chamber. Mine just had a minimum chamber, bullet diameter kept them from chambering not OAL.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo 5959 View Post
    Thank you John H,
    this is starting to make since.

Now that I cast 500 of them over the week end.

Ok, next question. Will the pressures increase that much if the powder is not compressed?

edit: I just pulled the mold and checked it...

It's the Lee .452, 228, 1R.

My bad.
    Pressures go up the deeper the bullet is seated. If your loads are midrange or below, seating deeper causes few issues with pressures, especially in the low pressure 45acp.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I have a few 1911 pistols and other guns chambered in 45 acp. Only one will accept the 452-228-1R at nominal length for 230 gr ball. All the others require the bullet to be deep seated. I wll look in my notes. It's in accurate bullet, but must be seated quite deep.
    As I noted, I use the 228-1R, seat it 1.240"-1.250", fits several diff 45ac; 1911s & XD. The XD are notoriously short throated. Every gun is diff with regards to OAL, even guns from the same manuf.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I have a Taurus 455 revolver, it will chamber and shoot factory J-word ammo. It will not fully chamber rounds loaded with cast boolits sized .452. Size the same boolit .451 and it chambers.
    Try sizing your boolits to .451 and see if they chamber. Mine just had a minimum chamber, bullet diameter kept them from chambering not OAL.
    Gary
    This will be brass dependent. RP brass is quite thin, should work with 0.452" bullets. I have one 1911 w/ min spec Barsto match bbl, all I shoot are 0.452" bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by newton View Post
    If you were wanting to keep your mold, and use it for the time being, I would do this.

The boolit length of the 1R is .628" and the TC I have shot is .620" in length. This equates to about the same amount of powder space underneath the boolits if you seat to what you said you were seating. The Lyman lists a seating depth of 1.170" for the TC boolit.

I have no doubt you could use the data for the TC with the 1R boolit. Here is a snapshot of the Lyman tested data. I would not go over the max charge, and I would stay longer than 1.178". I can tell you I was shooting the TC boolit with a middle of the road charge and my gun was loving it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	128657
    Sorry I haven't been able to respond lately. (I had to work a couple of 14 hour days with 3 hours road time each)

I would like to thank everyone for the advice and patience with this tread.

Newton,
    This info from Lyman gives me a great starting point.
    Ill be working up some loads this weekend.

Also the new 2r mold will be here before then.

Pablo

Boolit Master
    I wrestled with seating depths for the 452-228-1r for a while. Eventually, I also settled on 1.245 as a good length. I worked up loads at 1.190, 1.225 then found 1.245 worked very nicely as long as they were sized .452 and tapered at .468. For some reason, accuracy just wasn't available until I found the 1.245 sweet spot... now I love it. BTW, RIA M1911 a1 Govt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12