Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

View Poll Results: Chili: Beans or no beans?

Voters
342. You may not vote on this poll
  • You ain't from around here are ya? No beans!

81 23.68%
  • Dang WILCO! It's got to have beans or it isn't chili!

157 45.91%
  • Who cares! I'll eat three bowls either way.

81 23.68%
  • Get off my lawn!

20 5.85%
  • Really WILCO? Really?

14 4.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The great chili debate of 2015. Beans or no beans?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yes they use them now but you see more of them in chunks in pasta dishes then as a sauce. You also see more white sauces in real Italian food then red sauces. Allot of the pasta is eaten with nothing but garlic and butter. Another thing that's a bit different then here is we tend to use burger in spaghetti and for meat balls and they tend to use sausage more. We all know that a good Italian pasta dish is much better then some firery hot green chills with some burger thrown in. If I want that taste in my mouth I can light off a bic lighter in there Some good burger or sausage in a tomatoe sause with some mild yellow and red peppers, a pinch of a good hot pepper and so chunks of tomato and some BEANS have a much more complex flavor then a bic lighter in the mouth
    I love me some diced tomatoes in my Soup, Chili, Spaghetti, black eye pea soup. Don't like the raw though. Have tried sausage in pasta dishes and for some reason, like plain hamburger better or maybe it was the type of sausage they used I didn't like. Guess I would make a terrible Italian.

I do like the complex flavor you speak of.

Banned
    All this chili talk had me making a batch for dinner. Yes, it has beans

Chili does not have beans in it.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    To Quote: "Sheldon Cooper" ....Chili has no beans in it!............ "Chili" with beans!!!!....It's very good..... whatever it is!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

I was raised on something called chili, it had ground beef, tomato sauce and kidney beans in it. I survived, but that dish will never be served in my house. I make a great pot of beans and a decent pot of chili, but never both in the same pot. I even put cracked red peppers in my cornbread on chili days.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Look everyone, I wanted to see if these Yankees were on to something, so made chili and beans in the same pot. It IS possible! I made the beans last night, and it was good. My dogs loved it too. Then I washed the pot. Washed it again. Then made chili tonight. Same pot, as I said earlier. Now I don't see how anyone would be so goofy as to make chili and beans in the same pot, unless you have some fancy pot with a divider in it to keep them from mixing and letting the beans contaminate the chili. The dogs and I all approved of the chili tonight too. Now if my dogs can handle my spicy chili, I don't see how any grown man could have a problem with it.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Moderator Emeritus

No it is not authentic texan, and I now cook the chili powder in the oil a bit to get it to bloom the flavors and add it at the beginning for the mild. Second addition of chili powder goes in right before it gets done so it doesn't mellow as much. When I make it for myself nobody else in MN I know will eat it... sweat starts after 2 spoonfuls. I usually thicken it a tiny bit with some masa flour, I like my chili thick enough to stand a spoon in.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chili

Recipe By :Mary Brown
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 pounds beef chuck -- chopped in 1/4 inch pieces
    12 ounces beef stock
    8 ounces tomato sauce
    1 can beer or maybe 2(just enough to cover for thick chili, use more for thin)
    1 tablespoon salt to taste
    1 large onion -- coarsely chopped
    4 teaspoons bacon grease
    4 tablespoons chili powder -- mild
    3 tablespoons chili powder; hot -- hot, I use my own blend. To taste, might try 1 tablespoon to start
    2 cloves garlic -- chopped fine

Fry meat seasoned with the salt in the bacon grease until browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.

Add 1 can of beef stock and the beer and simmer for 1 hour or until meat starts to get tender.

Add tomato sauce and the mild chili powder. Simmer for 45 minutes.

Add the hot chili powder, simmer another 30 to 45 minutes.

Serve with crackers, sour cream and cheese if desired.

Beans are optional for you non chili heads, drain and add during the last 10 minutes of the cook.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    Let me know when you're around my part of Texas, and I hope you like it spicy.
    I would like to do that when/if I retire.... I feel blessed to have had some mighty fine chili and would like some more...Can I have iced tea in a quart jar?

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=shooterg;3110313]Castalot is right - we need to judge the product . Need at least 3 judges, looks like me and Castalot just need one more volunteer...

Sir, I accept your company...But be warned I intend to travel in my '77 Nova (Hawaii car-no rust but I'll need to refresh it) I'm also known to waste my time at gun shows, museums of all kinds but especially military ones with ships and warbirds, and places of fine food...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Enjoyed my meal last night,I will not give it a name but here goes.Ground Steak browned in the pan,Onions just softened,4 chopped Cayenne peppers seeds and all,1Can of Red beans drained,1 Can of Cannellini Beans drained,1 can chopped Tomatoes,simmered and stired,Salt,Pepper,served on a bed of long grain Rice.Nice background heat without scalding the Tonsils.
    Dear Sir, If I ever get the chance to visit England, might I impose on you for such a meal? I promise to bring funny stories of misspent youth and shooting. As my heritage is English, Irish, Scottish, French, American Indian. and German, we are practically cousins!

Dale

Banned

looks like another war us Yankees are winning poll looks like about 2 to 1 in favor of beans

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Strange

NOT ONE VET has reported back that the chilli served them while in service was really a bowl of soup.

I therefor propose that all Chilli HAS BEANS as my recipe was presented to me by a RETIRED Army cook well south of 50 years ago and it DOES CONTAIN BEANS.

LOTS OF BEANS.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master
    Anyone who knows beans about chili knows it has beans.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    The Navy gets the gravy but the army gets the Beans.

Boolit Master
    looks like another war us Yankees are winning poll looks like about 2 to 1 in favor of beans
    It is merely Half-time, Kind Sir! May I suggest that we fight this one from around a big table with a lot of pots of various chili and a few Southern Belles running around? I knew we were missing something here....
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    Next you'll be wanting proof that his life insurance is paid up and his wife has a good copy...
    Nope, just the stuff necessary to get him home and planted. He don't take well to hot stuff and will require a couple gallons of sweet iced tea.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Nope, just the stuff necessary to get him home and planted. He don't take well to hot stuff and will require a couple gallons of sweet iced tea.
    Just a couple of gallons? I like hot that makes you sweat but not that takes your breath away...

Boolit Master

Equally as valid a statement as "Eat sh*t - billions of lies CAN'T be wrong"

dale in Louisiana
    (who believes Texas has it right on a lot of things, among them chili and barbecue)

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    It is indeed a sad time here.

So few folks could afford to put beans in their chilli for so long that they now believe it is a bad thing to put beans in chilli.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

This is the recipe I use. Notice it doesn't have tomato juice in it. This is good hearty stick to your ribs chili! http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/78299...ailgate-chili/
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast