Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Repackbox

View Poll Results: Chili: Beans or no beans?

Voters
342. You may not vote on this poll
  • You ain't from around here are ya? No beans!

81 23.68%
  • Dang WILCO! It's got to have beans or it isn't chili!

157 45.91%
  • Who cares! I'll eat three bowls either way.

81 23.68%
  • Get off my lawn!

20 5.85%
  • Really WILCO? Really?

14 4.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: The great chili debate of 2015. Beans or no beans?

Boolit Master

How ever you cook it, or whatever you call it. Just don't forge to call me for, morning, noon or evening chow!
    Always like good food!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I like chili, wouldn't want to live on it, don't take too seriously, and don't like it so hot it burns off the ceramic discs on the space shuttle. Very little hot spice will do it.

As for the debate, chili-no beans, (I've never had it like that) chili con carne-with beans. Different animal.

Again, keep the spicy heat. I don't need it.
    Good chili does NOT burn your mouth from chili's... you get halfway thru the bowl and start sweating! Then you know the heat level is perfect!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    lets see. some say no meat, some no veggys so that would eliminate tomatoes and peppers and some sat no beans. i guess you could get a bowl of water and douche it with chilli powder. all i can say is look at the poll. pretty obvious what america considers chilli and i dont much care with what the illegals at the border or their country considers chilli. about like the old italian that lived next to us when i was a kid. he was from there and spoke broken english but his spaghetti wouldnt touch tomato based sauces. pretty much butter and garlic with maybe stewed tomatoes or other veggys. used to laugh at us calling pizza or what we call lasagna italian. chilli for most back in the day served the same purpose it did in mexico. you threw everything you had that wasnt completely rotten in a pot to feed your family. beans were cheap protein. America likes beans in there chilli because thats how they were raised. i kind of chuckled at marys post. who the hell wants to eat something so hot that it burns your insides and call that tasty. just macho bs. heck ill really make you angry. when i was a kid and dad had to feed me and my 5 sisters he made a big pot of chilli. used only one lb of burger and wouldnt drain off the fat. lots of pintos and or navy beans and also a whole box of elbow maccaroni to make it go even further. he ate it like that till he died and didnt care much what some mexicans or texans thought of it. he ate it because he thought it tasted good.
    I like mine hot but I also like to taste my food so not stupid hot! Make you sweat halfway thru a bowl is perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Good chili does NOT burn your mouth from chili's... you get halfway thru the bowl and start sweating! Then you know the heat level is perfect!
    I've had it like that and it was okay for a change. We generally make ours that you taste the chili without the pain. Also, this may sound strange, but sneer and snicker away if you like. I like dipping a PBJ sandwich in mine, soak the bread with sauce and bite off a hunk! Makes the best PBJ ever!
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master

I know I have commented on this thread but today it says I never took the poll and I did ???

Then there was Frank ...

Texas Chili Contest

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cooking contest. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted." Here are the scorecards from the advent:

(Frank Judge #3)

Chili # 1 Eddie's Maniac Monster Chili...

Judge # 1 --! A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.

Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

Judge # 3 -- (Frank) What the hell is this stuff?! You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put out the flames. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy!

Chili # 2 Austin's Afterburner Chili...

Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor; needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chili # 3 Ronny's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili...

Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.

Judge # 2 -- A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.

Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now.
    Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting pie-eyed from all of the beer...

Chili # 4 Dave's Black Magic...

Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish, or other mild foods; not much of a chili.

Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb. woman is starting to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Lisa's Legal Lip Remover...

Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne ! peppers make a strong statement.

Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead, and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.

Chili # 6 Pam's Very Vegetarian Variety...

Judge # 1 -- Thin, yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, a! nd garlic. Superb.

Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. I pooped on myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair! No one seems inclined to stand behind me anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.

Chili # 7 Carla's Screaming Sensation Chili...

Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

Judge # 2 -- Ho-hum; tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress, as he is cursing uncontrollably.

Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me.
    I've decided to stop breathing; it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

Chili # 8 Karen's Toenail Curling Chili...

Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced ! chili. Neither mild, nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 farted, passed out, fell over, and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself.
    Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?"
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

We had a HOT freak at gun club #1, he kept a selection of chili powders at the club just in case he wanted to whip up some fried coon or some other of his delicacies.

He had one that was so hot, the guy who ran the bar donned dish washing gloves that went to his elbows when ever he had to move the container. Claimed he moved it one day, with out gloves. Touched his eye later that day and was convinced he was going blind. This was after washing his hands several times.

Doug thought that stuff just added a little tang to his cooking.

Boolit Master
    In a few days after I grind up the meat, I will be making my first pot of bear chili. Of course it will have both kidney and black beans. It won't be very hot because like rifle recoil, I don't take it as well as I used to. We had the first steaks off that bear two days ago and they were superb so I can't wait for the chili.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    We had a HOT freak at gun club #1, he kept a selection of chili powders at the club just in case he wanted to whip up some fried coon or some other of his delicacies.

He had one that was so hot, the guy who ran the bar donned dish washing gloves that went to his elbows when ever he had to move the container. Claimed he moved it one day, with out gloves. Touched his eye later that day and was convinced he was going blind. This was after washing his hands several times.

Doug thought that stuff just added a little tang to his cooking.
    Sounds like my jar of nuke grade chili powder in the freezer LOL I wear nitrile gloves when handling it! Used it today, 1/2 teaspoon in a 1/2 gallon batch of chili... classic Texas Red... no beans! Hand chopped chuck...

Boolit Master

I grew up on the border (1960's). Every Diner had it's own recipe. They were all good, some better then others. Some were a straight chili. Some had beans. If it wasn't thick enough to stand up a spoon, it wasn't worth eating. They all had one thing in common, NO BELL PEPPER. I didn't see bell pepper in food until the new york invasion in the 1980's.
    And real chili and beans has either pinto or small red beans.
    Any one who would ruin chili and beans by putting kidney beans in it, should be horse whipped.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned

looks like beans are winning 2 to 1. no surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I grew up on the border (1960's). Every Diner had it's own recipe. They were all good, some better then others. Some were a straight chili. Some had beans. If it wasn't thick enough to stand up a spoon, it wasn't worth eating. They all had one thing in common, NO BELL PEPPER. I didn't see bell pepper in food until the new york invasion in the 1980's.
    And real chili and beans has either pinto or small red beans.
    Any one who would ruin chili and beans by putting kidney beans in it, should be horse whipped.
    Sweet bell peppers in chili, or anything else cooked, baked, or heated in general? NO! Few things edible in this world disgust me more than a cooked bell pepper! They make me burp and taste the miserable things every time I do so. I remember the first mom made stuffed bell peppers when I was a kid, dad, me and my brother each got one with plenty of tomato soup poured over em, stripped the slimey disgusting husk off to throw away. Mom said we should eat the pepper too, we all handed her our plates so she could have at em if she so desired. I can't even stand little pieces of bell pepper on a pizza.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Having beans in chili is like putting pickles and catsup on ice cream. It's just wrong.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

sorry, America and this forum have spoke. you can keep that bowl of nasty green chilli's right there in texas

Boolit Master

Lloyd even up there in DA U.P. I have seen some fairly spicy Chili My great Uncle outside of Ewan made some great venison chili I do not remember peppers in it come to think about it! The spicy Chili was when I was visiting friends at Michigan Tech and at a bar outside of Houghton I can not even remember the name of it from 1976 .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Beans in chili is almost as bad as what my former MIL from Baltimore made and called 'chili'.

As near as I could reverse engineer it--
    It was a big can of grocery store spaghetti sauce with 2-3 extra cans of water added,
    and a package of hot dogs swimming around in the pot.

And all the Yankee in-laws just loved it.
    They said they really enjoyed having Mexican food once in awhile.
    I about swallowed my tongue trying not to gag, or laugh.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Having beans in chili is like putting pickles and catsup on ice cream. It's just wrong.
    Tell that to a pregnant woman.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Tell that to a pregnant woman.
    I'm crazy...... not stupid.

EVERYONE!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Lloyd even up there in DA U.P. I have seen some fairly spicy Chili My great Uncle outside of Ewan made some great venison chili I do not remember peppers in it come to think about it! The spicy Chili was when I was visiting friends at Michigan Tech and at a bar outside of Houghton I can not even remember the name of it from 1976 .
    my chilli has some teeth. but its not overpowering hot. i make it either with venison burger or my preferred way is sliced up venison steak.

Boolit Master

My chili varies a lot I have even made it with just fresh tomatoes when they ripen I always have meat, tomato, and beans in my chili plus the spices . My father wanted the bell peppers left out it still worked for deer camp . I have had chili with peanuts in it not something I would add but it was not bad !
    Once for a potluck at the club I made two identical batches of chili but one had a tablespoon of Cayan pepper and it was marked spicy . People said it was so much better but all it had was a bit of heat .

Boolit Master
    I've had what I consider to be authentic chili, cooked by a pretty little Mexican lady who worked at the dealership where I used to work. She had her green card and was working towards becoming a US citizen, the official way. I'm sure most of you have seen the strings of dried peppers hanging in the markets. That's what chili if made from. Just what do you think the word "Chili" means? Chili, the dish, is chili peppers, meat, and spices. No tomatoes and no beans. And it was the best Chili I've ever had.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast