Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Chili: Beans or no beans?

Voters
342. You may not vote on this poll
  • You ain't from around here are ya? No beans!

81 23.68%
  • Dang WILCO! It's got to have beans or it isn't chili!

157 45.91%
  • Who cares! I'll eat three bowls either way.

81 23.68%
  • Get off my lawn!

20 5.85%
  • Really WILCO? Really?

14 4.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: The great chili debate of 2015. Beans or no beans?

A good way to be disqualified from any Chili Cookoff is to add beans.

I've won a few east of the Mississippi......and they all had beans in them. Beautiful thing about this great country we live in....we all have choices and get to enjoy our own state/regional traditions!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

The great chili debate of 2015. Beans or no beans?

Beans 🫘 of two types, corn , mushrooms , masa as a thickener, ground chuck & chunks of stew meat , all with Carrol Shelbys Chili seasoning, all the chilies and extra jalapeños and garlic 🧄. With corn bread ! A little Dave’s Insanity Sauce gives extra kick !
    Oh, cooked in cast iron dutch oven of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chili I made yesterday is great for breakfast today.
    Added a can of PBR, BBQ sauce and some Bush's baked beans.
    They make a sweeter chilli.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I've won a few east of the Mississippi......and they all had beans in them. Beautiful thing about this great country we live in....we all have choices and get to enjoy our own state/regional traditions!
    I live in Texas. The rules are the same in any competition. Beans are not allowed, nor any other vegetable.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    I live in Texas. The rules are the same in any competition. Beans are not allowed, nor any other vegetable.
    Terlingua chili cook off rules... no beans or veg. They have comps in all 50 states. There are unsanctioned anything goes cook offs too. But winning one of them does not get you points to enter the big one in Texas. Terlingua rules are strict, you even get graded on how consistently everything is cut...

Surprised this wasn't posted by now...

“Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge’s table, asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in… I was assured by the other two judges (Native New Mexicans) that the chili wouldn’t be all that spicy; and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted and became Judge 3.”

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:
    CHILI # 1 – MIKE’S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI

Judge # 1 — A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
    Judge # 2 — Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
    Judge # 3 (Frank) — Holy crap, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that’s the worst one. These New Mexicans are crazy.
    CHILI # 2 – EL RANCHO’S AFTERBURNER CHILI

Judge # 1 — Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
    Judge # 2 — Exciting BBQflavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
    Judge # 3 — Keep this out of the reach of children. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.
    CHILI # 3 – ALFREDO’S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

Judge # 1 — Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
    Judge # 2 — A bit salty, good use of peppers.
    Judge # 3 — Call the EPA. I’ve located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I’m getting red-faced from all of the beer.
    CHILI # 4=2 0- BUBBA’S BLACK MAGIC

Judge # 1 — Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
    Judge # 2 — Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
    Judge # 3 — I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. Woman is starting to look HOT … Just like this nuclear waste I’m eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?
    CHILI # 5 – LISA’S LEGAL LIP REMOVER

Judge # 1 — Meaty, strong chili. Jalapeno peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
    Judge # 2 — Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the jalapeno peppers make a strong statement.
    Judge # 3 — My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted, and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off. It really ticks me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming.
    CHILI # 6 – VARGA’S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

Judge # 1 — Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
    Judge # 2 — The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, garlic. Superb.
    Judge # 3 — My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I crapped on myself when I farted, and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can’t feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.
    CHILI # 7 – SUSAN’S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

Judge # 1 — A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
    Judge # 2 — Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
    Judge # 3 — You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing. It’s too painful. I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.
    CHILI # 8 – BIG TOM’S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI

Judge # 1 — The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
    Judge # 2 — This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he’d have reacted to really hot chili?
    Judge # 3 — No report.

Cast Hunter

I despise kidney beans, but will add pinto beans sometimes. Otherwise no beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    And.....if I lived/competed in Texas, I would abide by those rules. But I don't, so I don't. Three different varieties of bell peppers, three other varieties of peppers with some heat, onions, scallions, garlic, FOUR different varieties of beans, beef in 2 configurations and venison in 2 configurations. And other stuff I won't admit to. It's a winning recipe where I live....BUT, I would love to try my hand at 'Texas' chili! I love a good challenge!! :P
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

The way it works around here is first there is beans and cornbread. Then the left over beans gets chili seasoning, onions, pepper, hot sauce & meat added to it. Fried potatoes on the side just makes a great meal just a little better.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Then the left over beans gets chili seasoning, onions, pepper, hot sauce & meat added to it.
    Onions are optional, meat isn't allowed, but the rest of that recipe is what we call 'ranch style beans'.
    They're even available canned, but on a shelf a good distance away from the canned chili.

I think it's to keep people from getting some fancy ideas about combining them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Make both kinds and not really partial to one or the other. If it's made without beans then the leftover can be thinned with some tomato sauce and used for spaghetti sauce or lasagna. Thickened a little and sloppy joe's. We don't use any heat in it. If you want it I have 8 types of hot sauce and use it just a little. Much garlic, though.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I can't believe this hasn't been even close to resolved in nearly 8 years......

I probably posted sometime back ........ apparently I didn't vote .

Meat , fruits , herbs ........ Prices being what they are if it's for more than 3-4 adults it gets beans to stretch the pot .

I like it mild and full flavored , garlic and mild peppers awash in tomatoes. Pork , beef ,venison , and that one time with big horn sheep lightly browned in corn starch or more often flour almost just gravy. A can of Rotel if the peppers are too mild . Ms likes fried taters I'm content with cornbread which I prefer sweet but will eat as a side/sopper/filler plain .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Well, I confess, I lived many years in Texas, BUT MY CHILI HAS BEANS!! (DougGuy runs like h*** now)!

grilled cheese sandwich made on that multi-grain bread, and dill pickle slices on the side.

: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3021812
    Excuse me Sir. You put the dill pickles in the grill cheese not on the side.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    Excuse me Sir. You put the dill pickles in the grill cheese not on the side.
    Wife puts grape jelly on hers.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Terlingua chili cook off rules... no beans or veg. They have comps in all 50 states. There are unsanctioned anything goes cook offs too. But winning one of them does not get you points to enter the big one in Texas. Terlingua rules are strict, you even get graded on how consistently everything is cut...

Surprised this wasn't posted by now...

“Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge’s table, asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in… I was assured by the other two judges (Native New Mexicans) that the chili wouldn’t be all that spicy; and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted and became Judge 3.”

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:
    CHILI # 1 – MIKE’S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI

Judge # 1 — A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
    Judge # 2 — Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
    Judge # 3 (Frank) — Holy crap, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that’s the worst one. These New Mexicans are crazy.
    CHILI # 2 – EL RANCHO’S AFTERBURNER CHILI

Judge # 1 — Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
    Judge # 2 — Exciting BBQflavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
    Judge # 3 — Keep this out of the reach of children. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.
    CHILI # 3 – ALFREDO’S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

Judge # 1 — Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
    Judge # 2 — A bit salty, good use of peppers.
    Judge # 3 — Call the EPA. I’ve located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I’m getting red-faced from all of the beer.
    CHILI # 4=2 0- BUBBA’S BLACK MAGIC

Judge # 1 — Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
    Judge # 2 — Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
    Judge # 3 — I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. Woman is starting to look HOT … Just like this nuclear waste I’m eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?
    CHILI # 5 – LISA’S LEGAL LIP REMOVER

Judge # 1 — Meaty, strong chili. Jalapeno peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
    Judge # 2 — Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the jalapeno peppers make a strong statement.
    Judge # 3 — My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted, and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off. It really ticks me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming.
    CHILI # 6 – VARGA’S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

Judge # 1 — Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
    Judge # 2 — The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, garlic. Superb.
    Judge # 3 — My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I crapped on myself when I farted, and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can’t feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.
    CHILI # 7 – SUSAN’S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

Judge # 1 — A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
    Judge # 2 — Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
    Judge # 3 — You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing. It’s too painful. I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.
    CHILI # 8 – BIG TOM’S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI

Judge # 1 — The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
    Judge # 2 — This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he’d have reacted to really hot chili?
    Judge # 3 — No report.
    Holy smoke, that is hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I can't believe this hasn't been even close to resolved in nearly 8 years......
    It's been fun though!

Cooler weather has me thinking about this.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

The great chili debate of 2015. Beans or no beans?

I use stew meat, browned, with ground chuck. 3 kinds of beans, mushrooms, corn and jalapeños!
    I use Carol Shelby chili seasoning for starters, extra cayenne pepper.
    With jalapeño corn bread!
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 10-15-2023 at 02:59 AM.

Banned

lets see. some say no meat, some no veggys so that would eliminate tomatoes and peppers and some sat no beans. i guess you could get a bowl of water and douche it with chilli powder. all i can say is look at the poll. pretty obvious what america considers chilli and i dont much care with what the illegals at the border or their country considers chilli. about like the old italian that lived next to us when i was a kid. he was from there and spoke broken english but his spaghetti wouldnt touch tomato based sauces. pretty much butter and garlic with maybe stewed tomatoes or other veggys. used to laugh at us calling pizza or what we call lasagna italian. chilli for most back in the day served the same purpose it did in mexico. you threw everything you had that wasnt completely rotten in a pot to feed your family. beans were cheap protein. America likes beans in there chilli because thats how they were raised. i kind of chuckled at marys post. who the hell wants to eat something so hot that it burns your insides and call that tasty. just macho bs. heck ill really make you angry. when i was a kid and dad had to feed me and my 5 sisters he made a big pot of chilli. used only one lb of burger and wouldnt drain off the fat. lots of pintos and or navy beans and also a whole box of elbow maccaroni to make it go even further. he ate it like that till he died and didnt care much what some mexicans or texans thought of it. he ate it because he thought it tasted good.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-15-2023 at 06:46 AM.

I like chili, wouldn't want to live on it, don't take too seriously, and don't like it so hot it burns off the ceramic discs on the space shuttle. Very little hot spice will do it.

As for the debate, chili-no beans, (I've never had it like that) chili con carne-with beans. Different animal.

Again, keep the spicy heat. I don't need it.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast