RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Chili: Beans or no beans?

Voters
342. You may not vote on this poll
  • You ain't from around here are ya? No beans!

81 23.68%
  • Dang WILCO! It's got to have beans or it isn't chili!

157 45.91%
  • Who cares! I'll eat three bowls either way.

81 23.68%
  • Get off my lawn!

20 5.85%
  • Really WILCO? Really?

14 4.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: The great chili debate of 2015. Beans or no beans?

Quote Originally Posted by atlas366 View Post
    I don't think ketchup belongs on hotdogs, unless you're seven.
    Absolutely not! Or burgers either IMO. Only on fries, tater tots and onion rings.

I made some chili the other day. Added beans to it.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    I put pinto beans in my chili. But I boil dry beans before and add them at the end. No canned garbage. I get my beans here https://www.anasazibeans.com/shopping/beans.html Best pintos I've ever had. Get 20 pounds at a time.

Boolit Mold
    Momma's chili has to have the kidney beans and also some boiled rice and some really spicy molten shizz that'll melt your face off if the starchy stuff isn't added to help absorb it

Boolit Grand Master
    Chili with beans or without--I love the stuff in either event. Just keep that Asian-influence/fusion-cuisine nonsense OUT of my chili bowl. One of my favorite meals is a "Chili Size" which in my part of the world is a plated and open-faced hamburger patty (or 2 or 3) sitting on bun halves with chili ladled over same, with cheese and chopped onions on top. Love it!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    btroj,

Fyi, CHILI was invented in San Antonio about 1830 by the San Antonio Chili Queens, to feed the HORDES of single men, who entered Texas-Coahuila seeking free land & their fortunes.

Chili was FIRST sold by the bowl, with corn tortillas & coffee for "one small Spanish silver coin."
    (IF the customer brought their own bowl/spoon, the Chili Queens generally gave the customer a discount with "script" as change, since small denomination coins were SCARCE in TX at that time.)

I don't know what to call it but a similar pepper, meat stew with beans added is NOT authentic chili. = REAL chili contains just 7 ingredients: CHUNKS of meat (In the 1800s, the meat might be venison, bison, feral beef and/or quite often horsemeat but NO hamburger meat please), black pepper, salt, hot peppers, onions, some sort of chili powder (a blend of spices) & water.
    We TEXICANS often serve beans WITH chili but NOT in the chili.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 08-28-2018 at 03:36 PM.

And that's that. No beans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    gotta have beans unless its being made just for hotdogs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    And that's that. No beans.

Texas by God,

Fwiw, I got an email this afternoon from another San Antonian (from another Texas gun forum) who opined: I could NEVER vote for Beto O'Rourke for the Senate. He puts tomatoes & kidney beans in what he claims is chili. That boy just ain't Texican!!!

LOL, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 08-28-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Mold
    So it's a difference of culture,
    maybe depending on what ingredients the so-called chili has it should be spelled differently. Maybe Chili capitalized is the Texas way
    Momma's chili is my way
    Wendy's chili ... it has beans too. That should always be lower-case then.
    You people made me hungry ****it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Absolutely not! Or burgers either IMO. Only on fries, tater tots and onion rings.
    It's ketchup, mustard, and relish for me on my hot dogs. I only put a little ketchup on burgers when the tomatoes are really crappy.

As far as chili, I usually don't put beans in, I use chopped meat, but "I'll have 3 bowls either way"

Moderator Emeritus

In Minnesota, Chili without beans is BBQ.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I've never made chili, but now you gents and ladies have gone and done it. Tomorrow will be my first go at making something that bears a slight resemblance to traditional Texas chili.

No beans, no rice, just beef, onion, tomato sauce, chilis, masa, beef broth, bacon fat and spices.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Chili has Beene hot dog meat dose not! two deferant animals
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Carroll Shelby said that if you use too fine of a cut of meat, you have ruined the whole **** mess. I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I've never made chili, but now you gents and ladies have gone and done it. Tomorrow will be my first go at making something that bears a slight resemblance to traditional Texas chili.

No beans, no rice, just beef, onion, tomato sauce, chilis, masa, beef broth, bacon fat and spices.
    Try deep fried corn bread to go with it!

Way back when 1940s during the war. 14 inch snowfall, rabbit hunting on horseback w/ toesacks, no guns. Jump the rabbit, it would run a few feet, the legs would cramp. Put the rabbit in the sack. Jack rabbits could go a little farther. My mother cut up the jackrabbit meat (after my dad and I cleaned them) into 5/8 " chunks as close as possible. Put the meat in chile no beans or tomatoes. Then would fill bread loaf pans up to 3/4 inch from the top. Then pour pure lard on the top 1/2 thick. We carefully carried the pans of chili to the smokehouse and put them on the shelves along the side. When we had chili, the lard was lifted off and put in a large lard can. You could re-use it again but it was mostly used to make soap.. I remember the chili was good but not as spicy a I like now. Seems the whole USA has become more spicey oriented as time flies by. We were down here in Texas 1959, happily eating jalapenos and such until we broke out in sweat and tears in the eyes. and our next move was to Mobile Alabama. There we found nothing that resembled chili or food with spices. 1975. Moved to Belen N Mexico and at first thought their chili was sort of mild.. I ordered beef stew in a small cafe in Hatch NM and almost choked on the green chilis . Nowadays Hatch green chilis in the can can be found far and wide. Here is how we learned to make NM red chile that is a topping for enchaladas and such. The NM State question is ( You know like State Flower ,bird and such) Do you want Red or Green? That is when your food is ordered. You can get mild to very hot.
    Recipe: Choose your red dried chili , mild to hot.... Use chopper/blender with a little water to a blend with pieces of chili still present. Make a roo, Canola oil with flower in a skillet with salt and blackpepper. Then add water until soup like. let it cool down to around 160 degrees f. then add the red chili. The longer chili is cooked the hotter it gets. Then you have the authentic Red Chili.

Banned
    OldBearHair,

Fyi, NM Red Chili is the NEAREST usual dish to what our Amer-Indian ancestors of the SW made over 300 years ago & more.
    (The chili made in TX & called TEXAS RED is a circa 1830 modification of a COMANCHE dish that was usually made with nothing but hot peppers, water, salt & HORSEMEAT. - The Comanche dish was made without anything that we "modern folks" would identify as chili.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 08-28-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Try deep fried corn bread to go with it!

Never had cornbread deep fried, but I can tell you I can only remember one time eating chili without cornbread. Coworker brought his venison chili in to work. Didn't think it appropriate to complain about no cornbread.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master
    Chili with beans tonight for dinner, cornbread, (both from scratch) and salad. Two helpings of everything.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast