RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Bush People

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    If you asked me to work cattle without a chute you can go shoot yourself. I'm agreeing with you. They don't add up just right.
    Just from seeing the previews, I agree, they are just not right. However, you can work cattle without a chute. We did it all the time when I was growing up. Takes two people. One ropes the head and the other the heels. All done from horseback of course.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    IMHO there are three Alaska shows worth watching! Life Below Zero, Alaska the Last Frontier and Yukon Men, in that order. There is one of the stars of Life Below Zero that posts over on THR as "Caribou". There is a long running thread (unusual for THR) under that title where he discusses the way that show is put together. Quite interesting. One of the problems with all of the "reality" shows is the stupidity of the narrators that try to inject drama into what otherwise would be really interesting and educational situations. I.e. on Yukon Men the idiot narrator made a comment that the Grouse being hunted could weigh up to 12 (or maybe he said 14) pounds.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Thr ?????
    Facta non verba

On Heaven's Range

"THR" is "The High Road", a shooting-and gun-oriented website.

www.thehighroad.org

It has many more members than we have here, but the level of activity is much lower.

It's a perfect example of a heavily-moderated site.... just look down the list of threads on any of their forums, and be astonished at the number of threads that show "the padlock", indicating that moderators have locked those threads.

I generally skim the site once a day or so, but in honesty don't get very much in the way of info or enlightenment from it. Still, there must be SOMETHING, or I wouldn't keep going back.

If nothing else, it demonstrates how truly excellent our moderators are, here on Cast Boolits.
    Last edited by BruceB; 01-26-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Got it, thank you. Will check it out.
    Reg
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    What's sad is that a lot of big city viewers who have no outdoor experience swallow all that scat as fact.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Different show, that is Alaska The Last Frontier and is a real family
    ATLF is my favorite show to watch. I rate the Alaskan Bush people show slightly above the fake "Amish Mafia" show, really low.

Don't for get "Edge of Alaska".... I just about fell off my chair when 4 week old bull calf was purchased (they are not even close to weened at 4 weeks) and the comment was made that they were going to breed it with the year old heffer they had so they would have a calf in the spring. Based on it's size I'm not sure the heffer was even more than 6 months old.

Moderator Emeritus

I was looking on Goggle Earth and I think I found the Alaska The Last Frontier guys. nice area they live in.

Boolit Buddy
    The residents of edge of Alaska all seem to be escapee's either from prison or the nut house. The last frontier is OK but still a little stupid acting for me. Eve's not a real country girl for sure. Now Jane ain't the best looking but she could keep you in fed and warm. Where is their property located, bet not real far from town, they abide by the game laws where as the ones up north subsistence hunt and fish.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I was looking on Goggle Earth and I think I found the Alaska The Last Frontier guys. nice area they live in.
    I've never seen any of the shows, but I imagine they all make us look like inbred rednecks without all our teeth or brain cells.... Where is the area that you think these folks live?

Moderator Emeritus

In this area, I think https://www.google.com/maps/place/59...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0 Note Kilchner road running through it. Yes they can drive to Homer.
    Last edited by MaryB; 01-27-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Mary. The area is really beautiful. Like I said, I've never seen the show, so do not know if they portray them as living in the waaay out boonies, but in all actuality they aren't too far from "civilization" there. They are just across the bay from Homer. Yes, they do live in a remote area with access only by boat or plane, but Homer is a small, but fairly full service town. As a side note the singer Jewel actually grew up in roughly the same area somewhere up the bay from Homer.

Moderator Emeritus

Actually I was on te wrong side of the bay, still a nice area but they have road access to Homer, corrected the location above https://www.google.com/maps/place/59...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

The Kilchers at least seem that they have at least have the history of a pioneering spirit and knowledge accompanying. I hear that the family is frequently spotted at the Homer costco. But I enjoy the show as a guilty pleasure. The Bush People seem like white trash that have been chased out of the trailer park.

Boolit Master
    As of the last time I was in Homer there is no COSTCO. There is a nice Safeway store there though. I haven't been to Homer in two years, but would figure I would have at least heard of one being built down there.

Banned

look at that older girl and the one they call bear. theres some inbred problems going on there.

Boolit Master
    these shows are just entertainment only -not to be taken seriously bush people show needs to take the sticky labels off the new tools before they give them to the actors.

The Kilchers can't live to far from civilization. They use a lot of fuel eating equipment. Barge, tractor, excavator. I don't recall seeing a 500 or 1000 gal fuel tank anywhere on the farm.

LOL Bear......... If he knew what was coming in another 15 years he would slow down. Been there done that......feel the pain...

Boolit Master

+1 dakotashooter2, I noticed that also. Gas for torches too.

Alaskan Bush People is just ridiculous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast