Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got A Flat Top .44 Special

Got A Flat Top .44 Special

Hello All,

I posted a while back that I was going to get .44 special Ruger but I was not sure as to if I wanted the standard plow handle grip or the Bisley style. As it turned out I ended up with my brother's! I got a chance to handle a Bisley model at a show and didn't really take to it all that well. Today we met at a friend of mines small gun shop and the brand new Colt New Frontier .44 Special in the case was calling to both of us. Must of called out a bit louder to him because he ponied up for the sizable chunk that it cost to take it home. He told me he didn't need two and wanted to give me the Ruger but I bought it from him instead to at least take some of the sting out of the cost of the Colt. This one is the 5 1/2 inch barrel and the standard grip and he bought it new in 2010. I would be surprised if it has had fifty rounds through it and I probably shot half of those! Now it's time to look for a set of wooden grips as I am not a huge fan of the plastic originals. I may look at dropping in a different hammer as well to give it more of the Bisley style profile. I did like the way it looked and felt when handled the other one. At any rate, when the weather breaks a little here in sunny Ohio, I will take it out back and sling some 429421's through it and see if it still shoots or if those fifty or so rounds over the last five years has worn it out!

Best to all,

Wolfgang
    "We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Boolit Buddy

You'll like the Ruger a lot. I have the 5 1/2" barrel and love it. I replaced my grips with a set of rosewood grips I got from the Ruger shop that have the medallions. Here's the link in case you haven't been there http://shopruger.com/Ruger-New-Vaque...uctinfo/19871/. Don't know if you know or not, but be sure to get the panels for a New Model Vaquero and not New Model BH. I got the BH grips at first and they were way off so I dug a little deeper and found out I got the wrong ones. Mine is pretty accurate with the 429421; I'm taking her javelina hunting next month and hope to get within 75 yards or less. Good luck with your new wheelgun.

Gene

There are dogs, and then their are LUCKY dogs.....I think you and your brother will be happy
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Vendor Sponsor

Check the cylinder throats on it, see if they are even and see if your boolit will go through the throat from the front..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    A SBH hammer will drop right in giving you a almost Bisley hammer. Get a Wolfe 30oz trigger spring while you're at it,about 8 bucks. You can make some pretty nice wood grips yourself, start with 1/2in thick wood. They,re great revolvers.I've put about 3K rounds through mine and can't tell it's been fired.

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the grips as well as the hammer soon. I've got to place an order through Wolff gunsprings for a few other things anyway so I will include a shooters pak for the new Ruger as well. My brother has waited almost forty years to pick up a SAA and I'm glad he got it. I really liked the Colt too but he has wanted one for so long that even though I could have sprung for it I wouldn't have as long as he was interested. My friend at the gunshop had two, the New Frontier that my brother ended up with and a TALO addition that was a true SAA with fixed sights. The adjustable sighted version is more user friendly so that's what he decided on. I think I will have more fun with the Ruger anyway since I won't be so worried about banging it up that I wouldn't shoot it. My brother is really kind to all of his firearms but on the other hand I have no doubt that the Colt will be shot. We are both looking forward to some decent weather so we can play and the two specials will be out back making the steel ring soon I hope.

Boolit Master

I just got my 4-5/8" Bisley FT a week to 10 days ago. I love it, but my rear sight pin and trigger pin are walking out. Also, the Rosewood grips don't fit and have chatter markes on the top right panel. I'm going to look it over closer for any other issues and give Ruger a call Monday. Otherwise I like it. It seems pretty accurate, but have only fired loads made for another gun in it. Still have to measure the throats on this one.

Hope to get around to that this afternoon along with loading some of my heavy Keith bullets.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post

... but my rear sight pin and trigger pin are walking out.
    That rear sight pin walks out on just about every Ruger I own.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Special View Post

Just bend it a little and bump it back in...no more issues.

Boolit Master
    A SUPER BLACK HAWK hammer is a drop-in...and BROWNELLS has them in stock for $29.99 plus shipping. They have HUNTER grip frames in stock also...For guys who have big hands like I do. I've set up a bunch of Original Size VAQUEROS in 357 and 44 with SBH hammers and Hunter grip frames. I like it as much as a BISLEY.

Hey MMA10MM: That mold you designed has worked well for me. Toss-up between it and Blammer's 429352 in revolvers for 25 yard targets.

Oh, you are going to like that one! I have three of em and they all shoot the 429421 sized to .430" very well.

Boolit Grand Master

Wolfgang;
    Congratulations! You have a FINE revolver. I have a blued 5½" and a SS Talo 4 5/8". They are one of the best revolvers Ruger has ever produced.

Here's mine:

A really good field load is the so-called Skeeter load (7.5 grs. of Unique behind a 250 gr. Keith bullet).

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 01-26-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Banned

I think Dale took a pic of my revolvers
    I swapped the cylinders so the guns look cooler now, and I only use 7.2 grs under the 241.
    but hey I gotta adjust something for the altitude.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the 4 5/8 blue version, and it is one of my favorite revolvers. It is the most accurate 44 Special I have ever owned and if you have Red Dot or Unique and some 429=421's, you've got the makings for some wonderfully good shooting loads. I wish your brother luck--the Colt 44 Special SAA I had was a pretty poor performer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	129704
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-06-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I sprang for one of the LipseySpecials in .44 Spcl. with a 5 1/2 bbl on a Bisley frame. Very nice gun. However I need to firelap the barrel as it was squoze down some when it was screwed into the frame. A tight patch hangs up pretty good there and once past goes easily to the forcing cone etc.. I also have 4 other Ruger single actions to play with.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Special View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post

Just bend it a little and bump it back in...no more issues.
    Now that's just dang sad that this would be THAT common of a "problem" and the manufacturer doesn't know it and do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by EDK View Post
    A SUPER BLACK HAWK hammer is a drop-in...and BROWNELLS has them in stock for $29.99 plus shipping. They have HUNTER grip frames in stock also...For guys who have big hands like I do. I've set up a bunch of Original Size VAQUEROS in 357 and 44 with SBH hammers and Hunter grip frames. I like it as much as a BISLEY.

Hey MMA10MM: That mold you designed has worked well for me. Toss-up between it and Blammer's 429352 in revolvers for 25 yard targets.
    EDK - Glad you like it. Have you tried it out any further? I've loaded it in the 44 Magnum with some W231 light loads, and found that it doesn't hold up well at long range, but when I load it hotter with AA#9 or 2400 to around 1200, I can hit steel at longer range. I still need to put it on paper at longer range.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

I would like to find out how much I like the thing but mother nature has other plans. We just got another 5-6 inches of snow dropped on us last night and coupled with the 25-30 mph winds I now have another mess to clean up. Normally I can walk out my back door and shoot at my range targets but right now I can't even open my back door! The dogs have to weave their way in and out of snow drifts to go do their business but they have a ball in this stuff. Oh well, gives me time to put up a few rounds of .44 special ammo with varying components I guess. rintinglen, I do have some Red Dot which I have never used before as well as Unique and assorted other suitable powders so I hope to find one or two loads that the gun likes. I will probably measure the cylinder throats as DougGuy mentioned to get a feel for how tight they are. I sure hope that my brothers Colt doesn't turn out to be a dog. He has waited so long to get it I sure don't want him to be disappointed. EDK, I checked Brownells and couldn't find the SBH hammers. All I saw were what appeared to be the standard Ruger hammers. Maybe I will give them a call and find out, could be just the picture they are showing is the wrong one. On a side note, this retirement thing is going to take some getting used to...seems I have more to do now than when I was running to work each day and carrying a gun for a living. Now instead of driving a cruiser around, I'm making breakfast and getting the little guy off to school prior to getting busy with my other housewife chores! I think I like it! At least I will get to spend a lot more time with the last bird in the nest than I did with the other kids.

Boolit Master

I got about a dozen rounds of 15.0grs of AA#9 loaded with my 267gr Hvy. Keith and another 6-7 with 15.5grs of Alliant 2400. I'm a little nervous I should have dropped back another .5gr due to the new Alliant version of 2400 burning a little faster than the old Hercules version, but we'll see. Even though I'm not excited about loading over 22,000psi in this medium-frame Ruger, I'm guessing I'm still below 25,000 with that extra .5grs. It's only a cylinder-full of ammo. The chronograph will tell the story.

I must say, I'm very happy with that Hvy. Keith mould. It is just the right amount of out-of-case length to fit in the Ruger (SAA-length) cylinder in 44 Spl. brass, and it fits fine in S&W N-frame cylinders in Mag. brass. Can't wait for some nice weather. (We got a little snow today, Wolfgang. About an inch. It's supposed to be gone in a few days with some warmer temps and rain coming.)

Boolit Master

In another thread about this topic, Dale53 and Larry-in-MT posted there was an article in Handloader 260 about the Ruger Lipsey 44 Specials and their strength/level of handloads they can handle. I get the yearly DVDs from Wolfe and went to the shelf and broke out the 2009 one and pulled up the article. In it is an interesting quote from Brian Pearce:

"They (Ruger New Model Blackhawk 44 Specials) are constructed of modern chrome-moly 4140 steel, which usually has a Rockwell Hardness of between 36 and 38. In carefully measuring chamber wall thickness and in having some knowledge of the breaking point of this frame and cylinder, it will safely digest a steady diet of handloads that generate up to 25,000 psi, or what I termed Category Three handloads as presented in previous editions of Handloader Magazine."

That's pretty definitive. I also like that Pearce has some advanced knowledge of "the breaking point of this frame and cylinder." If Pearce says that, I will take that to the bank.

MMA10,

I have no doubt that the flat top is stronger than it needs to be for average 44 special loads. I have a few of Brian's articles on the 44 special around here someplace. I stepped out the other day and popped off a few rounds that I had sitting around for the smaller 44's (Bulldog/431) out of the flat top and they were powder puffs. That being said, I don't really see any need to get too hot with them either seeing as I have several 44 mags sitting sitting around for those duties. I will more than likely load up to some of them to about 1000-1100 fps range just to get an idea of the recoil and how it shoots but the vast majority of loads it will see will be in the 750-950 fps range. I just want to ring steel and knock the snot out of various things around here with big heavy bullets slipping along at a modest pace. May even let it tag along next deer season and for that purpose I might step up the horsepower a bit although I'm not too sure it needs to be. My last deer, the 2013 season, this past season was a bust, I had no time to get in any practice with any of my big boomers and I really did not want to go back to a shotgun so I took the only thing I had shot a lot...my Springfield 1911-A1 which I carried as a duty pistol. When the time came, at about 40 yards, a 230gr. "J" word HP at about 850 fps blew on though a fair sized doe which was quartering away from me. In one side out the other and about ten steps later down and out. Kind of proved to me that I didn't need all that much horsepower to down a whitetail. The extra is nice when you want to stretch the distance out a bit though so I may pump a few up for that purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast