MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Eddystone P14, what's it worth?

Eddystone P14, what's it worth?

I fellow I work with has an Eddystone P14 that he offered to sell me. He's had it for years and just wants to sell to thin his collection down. I haven't looked at it so I don't know if the numbers match, but he says it's "all original" and has a cracked front handguard. Let's say the gun is nothing exotic, what would be an average price for one in sound condition? I don't want to insult or lowball him.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it is a 65 - 70% shooter grade rifle, I'd say $350 - $400......If the condition is better , let's say in the 90% + area of things , then the dollar amount would go up. The condition of the bore will have a lot to do with what the rifle will bring. If the barrel is dark, frosted, rusted , then obviously this will impact the value of the rifle in a negative manner.

Boolit Master

condition and originality mean everything for value. could be a $300 dollar shooter grade only, or over a grand if its all original in excellent shape, still has volley sights. orginal stock, blued, not reparked or black painted, etc.

Banned

I had 4 of them in various conditions and they all sold for $400 each.

So, I'd say $400 is about the average price around here.

I'd offer $350 and negotiate from there.

OK thanks for the info.

Boolit Master

FYI - There are no "numbers" to match on a P14 (or M1917). Discerning originality of P14 (or M1917) requires a PhD and a magnifying glass.

Some were parkerized originally and its important to note that parkerizing can be very difficult to identify. The primary patented feature of parkerizing is it's ability to absorb/hold oil. Bluing does not hold oil. And parkerizing is NOT preceeded by sandblasting. Originally parkerizing was done on smooth steel surface. So unless you know what you're looking at it could be parkerizing or bluing.

Its true that P14 (and M1917) can be found in every state of condition from "as-new" to FTR as the one I owned was date stamped '62 on the stock with fresh black paint.

I don't know what other collector books are available pertaining to the P14 (or M1917).. I have "P17 The American Enfield" by J.C. Harrison. It covers issues of the P14 as well.

My U.S. Remington M1917 has electropenciled s/n on the bolt body. This was not a U.S. practice. Mine is thought to have been Danish Lend-Lease. Many of the US Model 1917 went to Canada, New Zealand, Britain and Denmark where they received non-USGI treatment and markings.

Dutch

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting as ever Pattern 14 or No3 as they were later known that I have come across has the sereial number stamped on the under side of the bolt handle and the number on the receiver ring of course. If those don't match then the bolt is not out of that rifle ......................... it's as simpe as that.

Boolit Master
    All the ones I have looked at a pretty rough one starts at $400 and a good decent one 6-700 a collector grade one is over $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    All the ones I have looked at a pretty rough one starts at $400 and a good decent one 6-700 a collector grade one is over $1000.
    I second that. An unsanded unbubbafied Patt'14 is one scarce item. I have turned down over $1k for my ERA matched unsanded non import. I never had a M1917 shoot as good as the Patt14 either.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

I just sold one that was a very good shooter, but not all the hardware etc. Had bases and rings and cheap scope. I sold it for a little over $300. Maybe I sold it too low?

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Okay, I made a deal on this rifle and brought it home. When he showed it to me he said "I was thinking this was an Eddystone, but I forgot it's a Remington." I tore it all down tonight to check it over and see what I bought. The bolt and stock are marked W, but every other piece has the R. The triggerguard is parkerized , the barrel is blued, and the action, front sight, and barrel band were black painted at one time. There are no importer marks, just a buncha proof marks that I'll try to research later. Nothing stamped DP. The stock is from a pattern 17 and has no stamps other than the W. Hopefully I'll find some 303 ammo locally and try it out this weekend.