MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I want a Dillon SDB

Banned

the 550 is open enough that you could set the boolit in place with your right hand [by reaching through the open frame] and with enough flair it will stay there through a smooth press stroke.
    you can also place the new case in the holder and turn the shell plate with your right hand.
    your production wouldn't be 400 per hour, but neither is mine, and I have a lot of practice with this type of set-up.
    I'd think even with one hand you could turn out close to 100 [completed rounds] per hour with a good set up of the [don't have to have Dillon] dies and a little practice.

Another way to go would be to buy 3 little Lee presses and mount them side by side to a nice piece of Oak 1x4 so they could be clamped to your bench and removed for storage.

That way you could easily move the cartridge from one station to the next with either hand as the front of these are wide open.

You would use one press to size and deprime and then tumble your cases, then set up the press on the left to expand and charge your cases then the center press to seat the boolits and the right press to crimp. It would work exactly like a C&H Pistol Champ in that you move each case from station to station and complete each round individually.

You could also just buy a C&H Pistol Champ which would take up less space and is the press I use to load my .
    44's. I have a bunch of presses and I use all of them for certain things, however I load most of my short run ammo on the C&H, starting with preprocessed and cleaned brass.

Another way to go which might even work out better for you is either a Ponsness Warren Metal Matic II or a used PW Metal Matic P200 both of which have a shuttle that you put your case into and then move it between stations. This way you can place the case on the machine with either hand and then move the shuttle with either hand as well. These might be the easiest machines to operate with your limited dexterity.

more than one way to do this.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I just went and tried R5R suggestion of placing bullet through the from of a 550 with right hand. It does work and might be an even better option for the OP. FB

Boolit Master

I love my SDB but if you're operating with just one arm I think it'd be a real pain in the butt so to speak. I find myself sitting to the left side of it which makes it fine to insert bullets with my left hand. So that part would be fine if your good one is the left one. However you'd really have to reach around to insert cases with your left hand. And vice versa if you good wing is your right one. I've never had one but seems like C-H had a rig years ago that was more of a straight line left to right (or R-L) that you wouldn't have to reach around anything to use. Might be worth looking into and then find a used one.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/444-x
    New ch4d h press fully decked out is not that much more than a sdb.

The C&H Pistol Champ is a great press and I have one I use a lot.

The Ponsness Warren Metal Matic II is another great one.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

Even with one good arm, I think the SD is good.
    As for the negatives that were pointed out on here:
    1) Price-well buy once and forget it. I think its well worth it.
    2) Dedicated dies-cost about the same as other dies. So what is the deal? I have two other tool heads and die set ups. After setting up the load for the round, it takes just as long to switch out as other presses. I think the Lee CT is the only one that take less time. But I never had to readjust my dies! The Lee dies would work out of adjustment many times over the reloading session.
    3) Small/Cramp work area- I think that makes a differance when dealing with 9mm's, but not when using larger calibers like the 45ACP or 44 mag.
    4) Its not my brand!-tuff titty!

I have been able to reload more in very less time than any other time with this machine. Its amazing. And yes, believe it or not, some of use just load one caliber. I load the 9mm. Buddy does the 45 ACP. I like to shoot more that reloading. And I can sit down and in a few hours over a weekend, load enough to last 6 months of shooting.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Nothing wrong with the sdb. Just pointing out other presses that might be a little easier for a one armed bandit to use.

One arm loading at my house.

and no arm loading/one arm loading.

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    I want to thank all of you for your ideas and comments. Mr. Morris what you have is just what I want, however, I am just a poor old "RIGHT WINGER" that lives in the desert, the SDB is more in my price range. I have thought about many of the ideas as suggested by all of you and the SDB keeps working its way back to the top of the list. So again I say thank you to you all. Jerry

Boolit Bub
    It might work if you could mount the SDB 90 degrees to its normal orientation so that you face the left side. You would add brass to #1 by reaching around the press, add a bullet at #3 in front of you and work the lever, all with your right hand. You could use a 1x6 to create a ledge off the front of your bench to mount the press sideways.

It's too bad you're not closer to RI. You could come by and we could mess around with my SDB to find what works for you.

Jerry you can't go wrong with an SDB, and if you decide you did go wrong, you can always sell it for what you've got in it.

Really no way to lose on this one. All of those other suggestions can work for you as well and you probably wouldn't lose anything on them either.

The nice thing about good quality reloading equipment is that it will never wear out and it has really good resale value.

I have a bunch of it and I could do quite nicely with about 20% of what I've got. just haven't gotten around to thinning out the herd.

Randy

I am not a fan of the SDB, but for your specific need, a good choice. With any progressive it's not just about being able to load faster but to load with less work. to load 100rds of pistol ammo, you have to pull the handle 300-400x, ss or turret. On a progressive, 103-104x. That is a lot less work.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

buy the square deal. you wont regret it. Probably the best pistol ammo loading press you can have period!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12