Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: How long can you shoot at the same rate as today if you could not buy anymore powder?

Voters
555. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 1 year

27 4.86%
  • 1 year

29 5.23%
  • 2 years

64 11.53%
  • 3-5 years

154 27.75%
  • 5-10 years

105 18.92%
  • 10+ years

176 31.71%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: How long before you ran out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Back in post #80, I said that I probably had enough to last me the rest of my days. That post was made almost 4 years ago. Since then life, such as we older folks encounter, has interfered with my shooting and reloading. My current guess is that I won't use more than half of my stash.

Same goes for primers and lead.
    I would shoot a lot less then why rush it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I would shoot a lot less then why rush it
    That is the funny thing many don't take into account. The harder something is to replace either because of cost or general scarcity the less inclined we are to use it indiscriminately. If primers went to $55 a thousand I'm guessing many would use their $32 a thousand primers as if they cost them $55 already. Because to replace them will.

Less I have or can get the more likely I am to ration what I do have. So in effect I expect many of us have a supply that will last a lifetime because as time goes on we will replace some things, use less and buy less of others. Myself and many others post 2013 shortages adopted a use it replace it process so essentially won't have any less until we stop buying more. If I see 3 empty powder jugs on the "empty" shelf spot I'm going to store or show to replace them. I do my spring casting and use 100# then I'm going to go find 100# of lead to replace it. It will last the rest of my life unless I decide to let it run down because I think my reloading or casting days are coming to an end. Even then it would last for a long time if as the other poster said I cut back my activities to accommodate age related limitations.

I should also point out the poll is only about powder. An item that one might easily reduce consumption of by switching to a smaller charge or a denser powder so they use less. Not to mention shooting less uses less. And if I had to make what I have last I would shoot less so I could shoot longer.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Not a good idea to state the number of rounds you have on hand or the quantity of powder or bullets. Inquiring minds want to know this information and will pass it on.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Never.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I won't ever run out but I'm thinking of my sons and grandsons. I'll evaluate things over the next couple of days.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    I only need and stock what Nancy Pelosi deems necessary.

Boolit Man
    back years ago when I worked and had plenty of extra cash I bought lots of powder, primers, boolits, molds, and friends gave me lots of wheel weights. now i'm retired and all I do is cast, load, and shoot and I will never run out. BUT I still go to gun shows and pick up bargains.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by savage308 View Post
    back years ago when I worked and had plenty of extra cash I bought lots of powder, primers, boolits, molds, and friends gave me lots of wheel weights. now i'm retired and all I do is cast, load, and shoot and I will never run out. BUT I still go to gun shows and pick up bargains.
    You must be my brother!!! I stopped going to gun shows as the bargains disappeared but still scan the on-line sales.

When I was working, I called my stash my "Reloading 401k" investment.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I will run out of powder about the time I turn 100 if I don't buy any more. That is only 20 years from now
    Frank G.

Boolit Man
    Started reloading at age 12, bought my first press at age 13 and had a 90 minute drive to Atlanta to get powder back then so have always stockpiled all components. Am now 57 hoping to retire between 60 and 67 but when go on fixed income and have lots of free time will need a lot of ammo to keep going. Have 60 foot indoor range at work and shoot an average of 300 to 500 rounds of centerfire handgun, mostly 45 per week. Have 75 yard outdoor range at home plus nice rifle and pistol range 20 minutes from home and total average is about 500 rounds of handgun, 200 to 300 rounds of rifle and 200 rounds mixed handgun/rifle rim fire per week. Have purchased over $2,500 in loaded commercial ammo already in 2020. Some cartridges if have to buy brass loaded ammo is cheaper than loading. Have 20,000 5.56 cases prepped to run now when finish a big 6.8 and 7.62×51 run going now.

Eight pound jugs don't last long and lately been using a vendor with good pricing if buy 32 pound lots. Have enough powder and primers for over a decade, closing in on two decades. When retire and on fixed income don't want to have to get part time job to buy components, especially if H.R. 5717 (currently attached to a stimulus bill by Dems) passes which adds 50% tax on all ammo and components. Have to consider the political aspects as well. One of my shooting friends recently passed at age 97 and had I not been able to help him he could not have shot during Sandy Hook panic. He shot 22 Hornets and 38 special regularly up to age 97. I am trying to put back enough ammo and components for 1,200 mixed rounds per week for minimum of 25 years.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

Boolit Buddy
    Primers are going for $125 a brick locally in trade. Not available otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised to see them hit $200.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    I would probably shoot less if I knew I could not get powder anymore. I could shoot my rifles for a long time, but would run out of pistol powder in just a year or 2. Longer if I stopped using Unique in my cast rifle rounds.
    About same here
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

When I first answered this poll I think I answered 5 years or so.

In that time prices have gone up, I have added to powder, primers, lead stashes significantly, and the covid has significantly reduced my shooting. I have also significantly increased my rimfire stash of .22lr and .22mag.

To the point that even though I am home every day, have the time, my interest or need to cast/reload remains very low.
    I know I'm sitting pretty. So I think I can pretty honestly say I think I have a lifetime supply of everything I need.

That does not mean that given supply and reasonable prices I would not add to it, because I would.
    I'd just about double my primer stash.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve got plenty of BP since that’s what I’m mostly into these days. If I started shooting smokless like before, I d be pressed to last a year.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to see a lot of old school salt of the earth people.I bet a lot of you have never been late on a bill.Don't wait till the middle of a blizzard and call the township and raise hell because the fuel or propane truck can't get it.When I retired went to work for the local rural township never realized till then how many people can't or won't do anything.I know some won't like this but most of the ones that way are from town wanted to get away but brought their town ways with them the old time residents pretty much take care of themselves.

Since our gun club stopped having matches due to the covid restrictions I just shoot by myself either with muzzle loaders or sometimes BPCR rifles. There's no point in running through hundreds of rounds per month if you're not competing so at the current rate my supplies will last a lot longer than I do. My big deal is what do I do with this stuff when I'm too old to use it? I'd really like to cut down on stuff now but most of what I have is for old people who know ow to use it, not clueless young people who only know how to load magazines and throw lead.

Boolit Master
    Stopped by my LGS yesterday just to wish them a merry Christmas. Found a bottle of HP 38 so I snapped it up. Think I have about 18 lbs. of powder and about 9k primers. 500 lbs of lead as well. About 400 primed LC 308 brass too.

Boolit Mold
    Good for a few years, but still want to stay ahead of the curve, I do not want to have to worry about not being able to replenish every time I go shooting.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789