RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision

View Poll Results: How long can you shoot at the same rate as today if you could not buy anymore powder?

Voters
555. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 1 year

27 4.86%
  • 1 year

29 5.23%
  • 2 years

64 11.53%
  • 3-5 years

154 27.75%
  • 5-10 years

105 18.92%
  • 10+ years

176 31.71%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How long before you ran out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    I just turned 80...so I guess my "inventory" doesn't matter much...I do have 2 boxes of bb's for my garage shooting gallery and I got a list of who get's what when I "take the train" where guns, components and ammo are concerned..not much but enough to make some folks smile.
    Happy birthday
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

my fathers gun shop / bullet casting company closed last year... i cleaned out his basement and i have so much powder left.

he doesn't reload anymore, or cast anymore... so he has me loading all of the ammo we shoot now...

i have over 800 pounds of powder here i have been selling off little at a time.... but right now nobody is buying. so i am stuck with it..... I'm going to start listing it here soon to try and thin out the stock... there are some powders i will never use,

Boolit Buddy

Not til I run out of Whiskey,and I haven't had a drink for almost 30 yrs.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

At one time I tried to keep a years supply of components on hand. Over the years I have changed that to 2 election cycles or 8 years.

Boolit Master

Run out first I think I would need some powder and since I don't have any I guess the answer must be I already did run out. Best of luck to those who have powder and reloading components as I am guessing things will get tight again soon.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I currently have enough to last me the rest of my life realistically. But I still buy more if I see stuff I want to try. I never seem to have enough lead or primers.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

I'd be out too soon. Need a better storage solution.

Moderator Emeritus

Anyone who has not taken time to fill in their needs this past year was asleep the previous five years. Don't be whining when it re-occurs.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    VERY old thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I have enough powder to last me at least 20 years! Back then.......not so much.

Tons of powder out there now.......in any form you wish, so absolutely no excuse for lack of powder. Unless you are dead broke.

Boolit Bub
    I will not run out. The Clinton **** made that my goal. Goal met.

I voted 10+ years. In all honesty it's enough to last the rest of my life at my current rate.
    This is not because I have a huge stockpile of ammunition, it is because I hardly ever get to the range anymore.
    I bet I didn't fire 200 rounds last year, and have yet to pull the trigger this year.

School will be over in 2 years, so hopefully I will get back to the range at least a couple times a month.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Last check I was sitting on something like 28.5 to 29 lbs of Red Dot/Promo.

Barring TEOTWAWKI, major ****, I won't run out. As I ease my way through my mid 60's I am shooting and casting less. Most of what I do shoot is extremely thrifty on powder/lead. Like .32sw longs with 2 grains of Red Dot below a Lee .314 90 gr truncated cone tumble lubed cast. Biggest cost on these is the 3 cents for primer. Someday I'll run out of all the old cheap ones and that will go up a smidge. Still reasonable.

I anticipate leaving a good stash of powder, primers, lead for my grandchildren.
    And I have a 6 yr old grand daughter who just might be bold enough to be willing to learn how to make it all work.

One way or another someone is going to inherit a nice stash of single shot rifles, pistols and all the tools to make their own ammo. That's ok by me.

Boolit Master

More than I will likely never shoot what I have all up.
    Obama made me do it....dale
    Last edited by dale2242; 04-22-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Rifle powder, a year or so.

The other day I got a big yellow steel can of Bullseye that I use in a toned down .45ACP for $40.
    It'll probably last longer than I will.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    247 years.

Actually of my most used cartridges somewhere between 5-10 years at current rate. But getting into less used cartridges likely another 10 years. For me this is minimal comfort zone given multiple past supply droughts. Oh yeah, if you include .22lr then add another 10-15 years.

Some of the “excess” is from stocking up on certain powders and bullets at one point and then switching to different ones and building inventory of those as well.

Hmm I thought I had already replied to this it may of already been mentioned that if it comes to this most of my firearms are black compatible and I'll just make it as I need it. Might be something to consider In this day and age

Boolit Mold
    I'm about out now

Boolit Master
    I'll never run out of powder, primers, lead for boolits or 22lr even if I shoot 4 times my current rate. I'll run out of time first. I learned my lesson from a primer shortage in the 1970s IIRC.

Didn't need the powder, but got 4 pounds of titegroup coming and another case of primers. Always short of primers it seems. Snuck in at free shipping and free hazmat at brownells last night. Good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Back in post #80, I said that I probably had enough to last me the rest of my days. That post was made almost 4 years ago. Since then life, such as we older folks encounter, has interfered with my shooting and reloading. My current guess is that I won't use more than half of my stash.

Same goes for primers and lead.
    John
    W.TN

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast