Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: How long can you shoot at the same rate as today if you could not buy anymore powder?

Voters
555. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 1 year

27 4.86%
  • 1 year

29 5.23%
  • 2 years

64 11.53%
  • 3-5 years

154 27.75%
  • 5-10 years

105 18.92%
  • 10+ years

176 31.71%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How long before you ran out.

Still having a hard time finding blue dot. Some of the other powders, such as Hodgdon seem to be finding their way to the shelf. I hope that this shortage comes to an end soon. Hate to sit and watch everyone else having fun.

In Remembrance
    I have to ask, who would purposely shoot up their last pound of powder, without the ability to get or make more??? If I had 1 pound and knew I could never get more, it would last me the rest of my days.

Boolit Master
    That is how I am treating my 22 or these days. I have shot only 80 rounds in the last year. If the price doesn't come down (relative to center fire) I will just never buy or shoot anymore and I can't say I will miss it.

Other than rimfire, my shortage is officially over. I got my shipping notice from PV. My first 8 lb jug of Promo is on the way. I have never had 8 lbs of pistol powder on hand, before. And I don't load shotgun. I should be good for a long while.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Just roughly figuring if it's anything you can load Red Dot or Unique with we are good for four to five years at the rate we shoot plus got a LOT of Pyrodex .

Shooting mostly Red Dot nowdays, ignoring all other powders (some 10 lbs worth) I figure I can shoot at my current rate for 3 years before running out. The last quarter of my first pound of Red Dot just went into the measure.

Best I can figure that is 250 rounds of 9mm, 300 rounds of 38 special/.357 Mag, 50 rounds of 7.62x25. I have 150 rounds of .45 ACP on hand and have probably shot at least another 75. Plus loaded some 7.62x39, some .444 Marlin, and a box of 7.62x54r. Ohh and 100 rounds of 300Blackout. 3-5 grains per round lets me load a fair amount.

I am ready to jump on the first good deal for an 8 lb caddy of Red Dot or Promo I can find.

Does anyone else get leery about storing in excess of around 12 pounds of assorted powders on the main level of their house, as opposed to something like a basement or crawlspace? I don't know why, but when I think about anything more than that I get this ill feeling, and the desire to move it to a subterranean space.

Electric, don't know about you, but I have about 20 lbs all in a clear tub with lid and gasket. So a stray spark is going to do nothing. In order for that powder to go up in flame, there has to be enough fire to melt through the tub and the container. If there is that much fire, it is going to go up no matter what you do.

Also, smokeless powder burns fast under pressure, but burns slow when not confined.

If you are really concerned about it I would try to find some kind of metal, lockable container. And move it to shed, garage, or shady spot outdoors.

Personally I would not go subterranen unless that area is both climate controlled, and secure from pests, etc.

Banned

wet damp places would be the last place I'd put my powder.

if your really worried about what powder will do if near a fire, light some off in the driveway.
    pfffft [that was it?]
    powder burns fast under pressure [confined space] and creates gas.
    in a plastic jug,,,,,, nuthin,,, it can't generate enough gas to fill the atmosphere.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    If you are really concerned about it I would try to find some kind of metal, lockable container. And move it to shed, garage, or shady spot outdoors.
    Completely wrong material. It's supposed to be kept in a wooden crate. I wouldn't keep it any of those places either due to high temperature and humidity fluctuations. Either in a conditioned space or in a basement w/ a dehumidifier are the two best options.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    wet damp places would be the last place I'd put my powder.

if your really worried about what powder will do if near a fire, light some off in the driveway.
    pfffft [that was it?]
    powder burns fast under pressure [confined space] and creates gas.
    in a plastic jug,,,,,, nuthin,,, it can't generate enough gas to fill the atmosphere.
    I've done that with black powder and had a very similar reaction, but never tried it with smokeless powder. Either way, I appreciate the thoughts about the matter. I will store them in a closet more than likely

Also, I voted 3-5 years because I have a moderate amount of powder, but spend way more time reloading than I do shooting

Boolit Master
    I said 5 - 10 years being I have not fired a shot in 5 years

Boolit Master

Get an old free refrigerator, I prefer the small dorm size, and store your powder in there. It is insulated, and has a decent seal, but not so strong a case(like a safe) that it will blow up if in a fire. You can even put a hasp on the door and lock it to keep out prying fingers. Then store it outside away from your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Get an old free refrigerator, I prefer the small dorm size, and store your powder in there. It is insulated, and has a decent seal, but not so strong a case(like a safe) that it will blow up if in a fire. You can even put a hasp on the door and lock it to keep out prying fingers. Then store it outside away from your house.
    I thought about that before, and just putting it in the garage. The only reason I never did was because I remember people thinking it would turn into a giant bomb. Perhaps I will reconsider this option

Boolit Master
    I made a wooden box for mine and its stored in the basement where the plastic water line is directly overhead. I figure if somehow it ever ignites the heat will melt thru the CPVC pipe and hopefully the water spray will help extinguish it.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    why is there so much concern about "properly storing" powder at home ...when my local gunshop has 5 times the amount of powders on his floors, wall shelves and on skids in pyramid fashion like canned goods?
    (literally 2000 pounds of it in 1,4 & 8 pounders.)

why am i breaking the law ...and he's not?

isn't "proper storage" just as good for the goose as the gander?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    why is there so much concern about "properly storing" powder at home ...when my local gunshop has 5 times the amount of powders on his floors, wall shelves and on skids in pyramid fashion like canned goods?
    (literally 2000 pounds of it in 1,4 & 8 pounders.)

why am i breaking the law ...and he's not?

isn't "proper storage" just as good for the goose as the gander?
    Because residential and commercial requirements are different. If the shop isn't following proper storage then they are putting their business at risk. Everyone is free to do as they wish, until you have a fire. And at that point the insurance company comes in. W/ how much it costs to rebuild a house I'm not risking it. The limits in my area are more than enough.

I would say that if no more was available, and giving I don't hunt, 2-3 years. Depending on how many bad guys arrived to do me harm.

Boolit Bub
    I keep mine stored in the basement witha dehumidifier going all the time in the summer. There is a old saying that goes keep your powder dry. True

Boolit Master

At my present rate of usage, I have enough to last for the rest of my active days. Might have to get creative with some loads when I run out of some powders and they might not be optimum but would work.

I keep my powder in 2 large wooden boxes stored in my separated, heated and air conditioned shop. I'm not worried about deterioration.
    John
    W.TN

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast