Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: RX7 in Lyman Cast Bullet Manual No. 4

Boolit Master

RX7 in Lyman Cast Bullet Manual No. 4

What powder does RX7 refer to in Lyman Cast Bullet Manual No. 4? Is this Hercules Reloader No. 7? Or Alliant Reloader No. 7? Or something else altogether? I couldn't find any references to what RX7 powder was, but they list it in a lot of their cartridges with cast projectiles.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    What powder does RX7 refer to in Lyman Cast Bullet Manual No. 4? Is this Hercules Reloader No. 7? Or Alliant Reloader No. 7? Or something else altogether? I couldn't find any references to what RX7 powder was, but they list it in a lot of their cartridges with cast projectiles.
    It is Alliant Reloader 7.
    They show it in the data powders as Rx7

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind there ar two flavors of Reloder 7 AKA RX7
    the early powder has brown specks in it and supposedly less Nitroglycerin than the newer powder made in Sweden

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywan45 View Post
    It is Alliant Reloader 7.
    They show it in the data powders as Rx7

Could you give me a manual number and page for the list? I am working out of Lyman's Cast Bullet manual No. 4, and see the loadings listed for the cartridges using RX7, and then no references that give me the statement that RX7 = Allient Reloader 7. And I don't want to guess that is what they mean since there are a few more powders that have a number 7 in their designations. The only other reference in Lyman's manual that shows me Allient Reloader 7 is in the burn rate chart in the back of the book, but here again they don't list RX7. But they never say anywhere that RX7 is Alliant Reloader 7.

Boolit Bub
    If you turn to page 151 and read the information on 30-06 then turn the page to the heavier bullets it shows the data for RX7 ( Reloader 7 )

Boolit Bub
    Also if you have Lymans 49 Edition
    Page 67 under the Reloader 7 description states Reloader 7 is abbreviated as Rx7 in our data. Also used for Alliant Reloader series
    10,15,19,22 and 25

By the way. Good Question

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywan45 View Post
    If you turn to page 151 and read the information on 30-06 then turn the page to the heavier bullets it shows the data for RX7 ( Reloader 7 )

Finally, I found my answer and very much appreciate everyone's help on this matter. Now I know why I have an "older" cardboard container of Hercules Reloader 7 in my powder cabinet. And a Lyman 311299 mold. And an O3A3 in the cabinet. As I recall now, that combination shoots very well in that gun. And I used to deer hunt very successfully with that combination before I moved on to newer antique rifles and IMR-4895 for about all of them. I think I need to get that combination back out and use up some of that old powder, of course, reloaded in weights according to my Lyman Cast Bullet Manual Number 3. Or was it Lyman Cast Bullet Manual Number 2? I will also look at the Lymans 49 Edition.