RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Recommendations for powder measure for small charges?

Boolit Bub

Recommendations for powder measure for small charges?

I have started loading for .32 in the last few months and my existing equipment isn't great at the small charges. I currently have an RCBS Uniflow, with the larger rifle drum. It will do down to about 5 grains of Titegroup but below that is pretty erratic. I can get the small drum for it, but don't know how much better that will be when I get down to the really small charges. For about the same money as the small drum for the Uniflow I could get the Lee Pro Auto-Disc and the adjustable charge bar. Any experience with either option? Are there others I should consider? Looking to keep in the $50 range. Leaning toward the Lee right now as I think I'll pick up a Classic Turret press soon and can use the Auto Disc on there without issue, but would like to hear other options.

Patrick

Boolit Master
    Patrick, I have a Uniflow with both drums. Early on I would regularly change drums. Small drum worked great for 3+/- gr 700X in 38 Special. This is about the lightest load I have dropped. For the last 20 years I have just used the small drum. For heavy loads in large calibers I drop 1/2 a load twice. Make sure you visually inspect before seating bullets.

Boolit Master
    Take a look at the RCBS micrometer setup for the Uniflow.
    http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Powder-Measures-and-Scales/Powder-Measures/Accessories/Micrometer-Adjustment-Screw.aspx
    I've switched to it and have found it much easier to use especially with small powder charges.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master

Patrick, I have the Lee auto pro with charge bar on my Lee classic turrent and love it for pistol charges. I have thrown as little as 3.2 of titegroup very accurately. Bullseye can vary some at very lite charges, but not enough to effect pistol accuracy.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    If you have a Lee auto-disk powder measure, a 'micro-disk adapter' is available from Titan reloading. http://www.titanreloading.com/powder...n-micro-charge
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Buddy

Patrick, I have used both and agree with Duckiller. Get the small drum, that is all I ever use. I load .32 ACP at 2.1 gr of Bullseye and don't have any problem. I found the Auto-disk to be more of a problem.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Another vote for the Lee Pro Auto Disk and the Micro adaptor.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Buddy
    I have Uniflows with both drums, I also have the Lil Dandy with 18 drums, for small loads I go with the Little Dandy. The Little Dandy is an investment. I also have the Ohaus and Lyman, then there is the Visible.

F. Guffey

Boolit Master
    Lee Pro Auto Disk. Especially since you're considering getting a turret press. Using it with the smallest disk Lee sells (#30 hole) I'm dropping 3.4 grains of TiteGroup very consistently. Titan has me very curious about their micro-disk but I'm afraid any less powder wouldn't cycle the slide on my pistol. When you order make sure it has the swivel adapter. If not get one. Also get a Lee Riser at the same time. Very handy items especially with the turret press. Audie...the Oldfart..

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the advice, still leaning toward the Lee but didn't realize there was a micro disk available. My current charge is 2.5 gn. TiteGroup in a .32 H&R, but I'd like to be able to drop down a bit if I find a S&W model 31 and have to start loading the .32 Long. I mostly load plinking ammo, with light charges to keep the cost and noise to a minimum, so something able to handle 1.5-3.0 grains would be perfect. Thanks again!

Patrick

Boolit Grand Master

I have an old Pacific Pistol powder measure (bought off eBay) and it uses a slide with a brass insert that is simply a slice of a 1/2" brass rod. I drill out the rod as I need. I have one that gives me 1gr Bullseye and one that gives me 1.2gr BE.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Any of the drum-type should work well.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I have both and each has all the goodies. Here's some information to help you.

1. Either measure with a small drum or a micro disk and/or the adjustable charge bar will give you what you want in most cases.

2. The Lee tends to handle spherical powders better. The RCBS handles extruded powders better.

3. Both are about equal from a powder capacity. Both are fairly small and will need to be refilled.

4. Both will fit on a Lee Classic Cast. You'll need the RCBS or Hornady version of the case activated powder drop for the RCBS (Hornady is less expensive, but RCBS has slightly tighter tolerance.) Uniflow. For the Lee, most Lee 4 die sets come with a die that expands and has powder through for pistol. For rifle, you'll need a rifle powder drop die. This will give you case activated powder drops.

5. The Lee with all the goodies (and I suggest you buy all of them when you order the measure and save on shipping later) is inexpensive. Adding a CAPD, a small powder drum and a micrometer can get a bit expensive. I suggest you watch the Swap & Sell here and on other forums to buy used to save some money.

6. I've found over the years that if I own a powder measure, I get much, much more out of the measure when it's fully decked out and has maximum versatility.

My final thoughts: Were I you, I would get the Lee setup now, but would also upgrade my RCBS Uniflow as I go along as well. One can never have too many good powder measures. Saves time and accurate, consistent powder drops from measures that like the powder in them and don't leak saves time cleaning up a press and having stoppages from spilled powder.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Boolit Master

I just ordered the micro disk from Titan for loading down to 1.5gr. Disk is supposed to be here tomorrow, I will check it out and get back to you.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Vendor Sponsor

Pat: look at Powder measures that drop the charge into a bushing or a cylindrical hole that is vertically placed directly in line under the powder hopper.

The C&H Pistol Powder Measure works like this as does the Lee Auto Disk, also Dillon measures and many others on Shotgun Presses.

The only time I use a Drum type measure is when I am going to trickle the charge on a scale after it is dropped short. I seldom see the same size charge on two consecutive drops. That's why RCBS came up with this little device to add to your PM. (see pic)

A cylinder placed in line directly below the hopper is the best design to insure that the charge cavity is filled the same way every time. Gravity works best strait down, and any angle only reduces it's effect.

The Drum Style Devices tend to have the hole in the drum placed at an angle to the hopper itself and as such don't allow the measuring cavity to fill as completely from charge to charge. This may be a small discrepancy, but it does exist.

If you take a bucket and put a hose directly in the center strait down and turn on the water you can see how the water hits the bottom and flares out evenly in all directions causing the bucket to fill equally on all sides. If you put the hose in at an angle you will see that one side of the bucket gets all the flow and the only reason the rest fills up is due to the water flowing easily. If it was a powder it would build up on one side much more than the other.

Obviously Powder doesn't flow as easily as water, but it does flow, and flow is always governed by the Path of Least Resistance and in this case the main force pushing it along that path is gravity.

This is why devices such as mentioned above are inherently more accurate.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-25-2015 at 04:49 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

Redding 3 with Pistol Chamber