Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to PP. Paper patching hunting bullets for 7.62x54R and case neck sizing

I have used printer paper but it is quite thick and is very compressible which is what I liked. I can't say it is the best choice by any means but it does have its place in paper patching. I don't think it's a good choice for higher velocity shooting. What it does do well is seat a boolit very firmly in an unsized neck when the wrapped diameter is right. It is quite forgiving. However, I tend to view it as a starting point to get going. It's great for light loads.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    Just a quick note to let everyone know I have not forgotten about this thread. It has been to cold or too wet here in my part of the south to do ant real shooting. I did patch up some C312-155-2R bullets. After drying they measured out between .322 and .329. I sized them down to .314 and I am waiting for the weather to break so I can shoot them. I used plain printer paper so it was a little thich. Once I see how these shoot I plan on buying some thinner paper and working up from there. I also have permission to buy a chronograph. I think that with out knowing what speed the bullet is coming out of the barrel, you are pissing in the wind. More information later.

rlwoods

Well, I never got to chronograph my loads until I finally remembered to take the chronograph out with me (which I had never used before after having had it for more than two years!) No big deal really. That's when I found I was driving a 194gr boolit to 2000fps from a 14.6 inch barrel! That was interesting. Not very useful though. I do know that lighter loads worked pretty well in dispatching downed and still kicking goats.

When I developed a load for my 303 carbine I fired test loads into my test tube to test for patch disintegration. I went with the load that disintegrated the patch sufficiently and they shot pretty darn well at 100m. After a while I found I needed to up the charge for full disintegration as the barrel polished up. That gun and load I never did chronograph.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold

I agree with you that a chronograph will only let me know what "good" looks like. By that I mean, once I settle on a bullet weight weight, I can work the powder up to the speed I want and then what I see coming out of the barrel. After that the chronograph is just useless. It's not like you set the chronograph up every time you shoot. The good news is I can use it on all my calibers but even that is a limited life span for it's use.

rlwoods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12