Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 700X for Handgun Cartrisges - Tell me about this powder

700X for Handgun Cartrisges - Tell me about this powder

I just bought 8lbs of 700X to cover my reloading needs for the next year or so. I shoot a lot of 9MM. 40 cal, 38Spl and 45acp along with some 45 Colt and 44Mag.

What has been you experience for the first three calibers listed and if any on the last two.

Not looking for loads so much as information as to how the powder works in any of these calibers.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 01-22-2015 at 02:22 AM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

I load the same calibers. I bought 8 lbs of 800-X because it was available. It is very similar to 700-X and I have found loads for all those calibers. Works pretty well in all but like 700-X it does not meter well. The flakes resemble dinner plates.

Boolit Master

700-x will work for standard velocity target loads but not magnum loads. It is too fast and will over pressure quickly. Metering depends on your equipment. Some measures seem to work well, others not. They are rather bulky, large flakes and fill the case well, but this does make metering a challenge. I use it for 9mm and 40. Do not load any others presently.

Boolit Buddy
    700x is a great 12 gauge powder , i was given a pound of it along with a mec 600 press from a relative . ive tried it in 9mm and 38 spl and wasn't impressed . I have been playing around with it in 327 fed mag lately with fairly decent results out of my 7.5 inch single seven .if I remember right I also tried it in 45 lc a while back with a 230 gr tc bullet it was ok but not as good as my imr 4756 load . 700 x is 1 of the powders ive seen here and there available in 4 and 8 lbers here and there I would really like to make it work so I could grab 1 or 2 and be stocked up for a while . but I wont invest that much in powder till I can get the results I want .

Boolit Master
    I like it. Started using it in the 12 ga late 60s and tried it in my first cast bullet 357 loads since I had it on hand and the Lyman book listed loads for it. I've never had a problem with it metering in my powder throwers including the Dillons. It is my favorite in the 45acp- 4.5 grains over a 452460-Its a good keeper if stored cool and dry.

Boolit Master
    Good cast bullet powder for 9MM., 38Spl, 45acp, and .45 Colt, and it is what I have been using for a couple years now. I don't shoot 40 cal, so I can't say, but I see no reason why not. Would also work well for light .44 Mag loads.

Don

Been using it for wad cutter loads in 38 Special. Had a bunch left over from my trap shooting days.
    I use Universal Clays for full power 38 loads. 700x does work well in a 38 with 147 grain 9mm boolits at 4.0 grains max.
    My Dillon 550 meters it fine at the 3.3gr WC load.

One of the members here gave me a load for 44 mag reduced. 240 grain bullet with 7 grains 700x for approximately 1,000 fps. From a 6" barrel. I've not had a chance to try it yet.

Boolit Master

I was given 15# of 700X a few years ago.
    Since I load very little shot shell ammo these days I am using it with cast in the 9MM, 40S&W,45ACP and 44Mag.
    I am getting good results. The only issue is that it is "fluffy" and does not meter well.
    I am loading on a P200 loader and have found that the RCBS Little Dandy measure throws the most consistent loads.
    It meters fairly well through my RCBS Uniflow with the small drum when I am single loading.....dale

Mike Venturino did an article with several loads for this powder in a G&A annual some years back. Loads included .44 special magnum and .45 colt. I think I have the article somewhere. I shot a lot of 700x 7 grains at a time over 429421's in various magnums. About 1000 fps. in a long barrel and quite accurate. Very clean burning. I am not sure about legalities of posting the article or otherwise sharing it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I had a couple old cans of the stuff, and I liked it best for .38 spl. and .45 ACP. similar to Bullseye in terms of burn speed.
    It's a good, economical powder, should suit all your needs.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been very pleased with the results of 700X in all the pistol caliber mentioned except 45LC and 44 Mag.

I load on a Dillon 650 and though I recognize that 700x doesn't meter like ball powder, it's pretty rare that I see charges vary more than +-.2 grain. Even in a cartridge as small as the 9mm, used mostly to ring steel, that tolerance is acceptable to me. It also won't leak out the sides of the measure as some say occurs with very fine ball powders.

Like Red Dot, it's fluffy enough to make a double charge, if not unlikely, at least very noticeable during loading.

I purchased about 10# in a black barrel-like keg about five years ago and used the last of it a few months back. Two weeks ago I was scouring the local gun show and paid $25 for an 8oz can (I know, too much, but it was the only one there.) so that I could load one more lot for my son's 40 w/o having to run back to the range that weekend.

The loads are nothing special. There is published data all over the web and in books (that I still recommend that noobs buy). In my experience, it just works.

Boolit Master

I've also loaded it in the calibers you've mentioned and for reduced plinking loads it's great. Being a flake powder, it can get sticky in your measure so be careful and check each case as I have had a few under powered rounds.

Thanks guys for all the replies. It sounds like I have a VG replacement powder. With the shortage beggers cannot be choosers. I found PB of all powders and used most of it up in the fall. Unfortunately IMR is not going to be making any more of it so I was forced to seek other powders. 700X is presently available from one of our suppliers so I ordered 8lbs which should keep the wolves away for awhile.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 01-24-2015 at 01:55 AM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I would like to try 700x, and 800x is about my favorite powder for 45 and 44mag.

Boolit Master
    I like 700X in 45ACP, very clean. I note some comments by others that 700X and the "Dot" powders tend to meter poorly. I have not experienced that with any of them, even Unique WHEN using a baffle in the meter hopper. Worth trying as the baffles are inexpensive to purchase and easy to make.

prs

Got hooked on 700X when Bartlet was selling it as surplus 50 cal. blank powder. Its my 12 gauge target powder. It is my 45 ACP 230 gr. cast bullet powder at 4.5 grains. It is my 45 Colt cowboy load at 4.8 with a 200 FP cast bullet. It is my 44 mag. cowboy load with a 200 FP bullet and 4.5 grains out of the Marlin 1894. It is my 9mm powder for both standard 125 lead (3.6-3.9 grs.)and plus P (4.5 grs.)for sub-machine guns. I did have issues with the Lee pro 1000 and metering for 38 special ammo and a 158 bullet. It worked OK for a plus P 38 special load and a 125 grain bullet though. Win. 231 is slowly getting converted on the calibers that are picky with light charges of 700X.

Le Loup Solitaire
    700X has worked very well for me in 45ACP, 9mm, and 38 special. With wadcutters seated deep (flush with case mouth) for use in my M52, I have needed only 2.6 grains for optimal grouping. All metering has been through RCBS measures with no problems. Burns clean and a one pound can lasts a long time. I one fished out the colored discs and made up a load for the 38 special....it worked the same as a load made with only the regular powder discs. LLS

Very encouraging replies guys. The powder should be here Monday or Tuesday. We just had over 5 feet of snow over the past 36 hours so it well could be delayed. We will see how DHL manages.

Take care

Bob

Boolit Master

I use in my 12 Gauge trap load because i bought a bunch at a low price, works great. I've tried it in just about every cal I own Shot gun, rifles and pistols.

Boolit Buddy
    With the baffle or without it doesn't meter well through my measure. Which is terrible because I really like the powder. Shoots great.