Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What do you use for a lubricant

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for Hornady Unique. I've used it for several years. Just last month my best friend was setting up to load 50 BMG and he was having terrible trouble resizing cases. He had tried RCBS case lube and cases were wanting to stick. I brought over my Unique and the difference was night and day. I knew it was good but I didn't realize it was that much better. He even got some Imperial to try and says he likes the Hornady Unique better.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Moderator Emeritus

I use Imperial; nothing else!
    george

Boolit Grand Master

Bag Balm! Pretty green tin, the cows like it and it smells good. Good for your hands and chapped lips.

I've been using Kiwi Mink Oil, the only thing I don't like is that it's hard to completely remove. I wet media clean my brass and have to use HOT water, dishwasher detergent and Lemmi-shine to clean it off and it still takes 3 water changes before they're squeaky-clean. Before somebody says it, yes I know that they'll shoot just as good without looking factory new, but if I wasn't a fussy, particular, detail-oriented, maybe a little anal-retentive person, I probably wouldn't be casting and reloading, I'd just go buy the commercial stuff and shoot a couple times a year like the rest of the country (present company excluded). I'm off my soapbox now

Boolit Grand Master

Mink oil comes completely off w/ a one hour trip in a vibratory tumbler full of walnut media.

Boolit Master
    In recent years I have been using RCBS but I tumble lube instead of using a pad.

I previously posted about my concoction of lee wax lube disolved in 99% isopropyl. Works great for my purposes! But, I was at a friend if mines the other day, to compare it to imperial, which he was using. Most dramatic test I can invision: resizing MG fired 50 cal! The imperial worked. Mine didn't. Granted, the effort involved in sizing those cases made me think of inverting the die, and using a piledriver!

Banned

"Another vote for Hornady Unique...my best friend was setting up to load 50 BMG and he was having terrible trouble resizing cases. He had tried RCBS case lube and cases were wanting to stick. I brought over my Unique and the difference was night and day. I knew it was good but I didn't realize it was that much better. He even got some Imperial to try and says he likes the Hornady Unique better."

Yes indeed

Boolit Master
    Used to use a case pad and rcbs case lube but got tired of cleaning the sticky gunk off the cases. tried motor mica which was better. then went to imperial die sizing wax. Bought two tins and still on the first one. Paper towel easily removes it. tried the Hornady unique found it almost as good as the imperial wax. Frank

Banned
    One 12oz container of ISO heat ( the red bottle). Mix one ounce of liquid lanolin in a spray bottle and throw in 12 oz of ISO heat and shake up. This works great for full length sizing of .223's and my 300 blackout forming. No need for anything else. If a little more is needed just change from a 12-1 mix to a 8-1 mix. It full length sizes everything at a fraction of the cost of One Shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castloader View Post
    I've been using Kiwi Mink Oil, the only thing I don't like is that it's hard to completely remove. I wet media clean my brass and have to use HOT water, dishwasher detergent and Lemmi-shine to clean it off and it still takes 3 water changes before they're squeaky-clean. Before somebody says it, yes I know that they'll shoot just as good without looking factory new, but if I wasn't a fussy, particular, detail-oriented, maybe a little anal-retentive person, I probably wouldn't be casting and reloading, I'd just go buy the commercial stuff and shoot a couple times a year like the rest of the country (present company excluded). I'm off my soapbox now
    Another vote for Mink Oil, both for how well it works and how much of a PITA it can be to remove.
    I recently used it to form 7mm & 300 WM cases into 350RM cases and then run those through a shortened and opened up 300 WM sizer on the way to making 6.5 RM cases. I use it only for the high effort stuff due to how nasty it can be to get off.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    Another vote for Mink Oil, both for how well it works and how much of a PITA it can be to remove.
    Pretty sure I posted this already but I will repeat it. Run the cases through a tumbler for an hour or so. It removes all of the mink oil. Doesn't take any effort, just time.

Boolit Mold
    I used the Lyman lubricant & pad for years. I kept getting too much lube on the cases & denting the shoulders of the brass rifle cases (.30-30 & .30-06). I read about Imperial a few years ago & that's all I use now.

DRSLYR

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345