Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for a lubricant

Boolit Master
    You never know what most guys are sizing with their recommendations.
    You can lube straight case with almost anything and make it work.

Forming cases may require multiple dies and a good lube to get there.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Forming cases may require multiple dies and a good lube to get there.
    Imperial is my go to for everything.

Taking a 5.56 LC brass to 20 VT or down to 17 fireball sure takes patience and a great lube.

Great point sir.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Another Bag Balm user here.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Bag Balm is a Hydroxy Quinoline Sulfate 0.3% (an antiseptic), in a Petrolatum Lanolin base.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady Unique for rifle brass. works fine for reforming 300 aac from 223.
    Lee lube for tumble lubing pistol brass that is push through sized. (push .40 brass through a FDC or cut off sizing die, depending on if I'm loading cast boolits or FMJs) it dries best and doesn't attract dirt. I DON'T wash it off, just lube, size and then load.

Boolit Master
    I just use rcbs with the lube pad. Does the job for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Loaded question there Bill.

Imperial when the going gets tough Imperial.
    I used to think that as well and I'm a big fan of Imperial. A friend brought his .500 S&W brass and dies to me to diagnose a problem. I sized a few, with substantial effort, using Imperial. I tried some pure lanolin straight from the bottle rubbed on like the Imperial. It was unbelievable how much less effort was required to size the big cases with lanolin. YMMV.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Mink Oil, it has lanolin in it. I tried liquid lanolin mixed w/ 99% alcohol for necking 308 up to 358. Stuck a case first try. Only time I've ever stuck one and haven't tried that concoction again.
    If you don't let the alcohol completely evaporate it will reliably give you stuck cases. Never have had one stick with alcohol and lanolin unless I got impatient.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwolf View Post
    Another Bag Balm user here.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Bag Balm is a Hydroxy Quinoline Sulfate 0.3% (an antiseptic), in a Petrolatum Lanolin base.

- Bullwolf
    Never tried Bag Balm for sizing, but I have a couple of bandaids on me right now with Bag Balm. Been using it/had it used on me better than 60 years that I can remember (and more I can't remember).

For sizing masses of cases I use Frankfort or Hornady One Shot sprays. Line them up in a loading block 50 at a time, even 7.62 haven't been a problem for the Lee Classic Cast (I must be begging for my first stuck case since 1967 boasting about that). Imperial for everything else. I'd give Mink Oil a shot (have it for my boots), but I need to use the Imperial I just started, which might be passed on to one of the sons or grandsons not quite finished.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    For case forming my first choice is the Lee wax lube applied individually with fingers.

For plain old batch sizing of stuff like 357 Sig or 300 blackout in steel dies my current fave is the same Lee lube cut with 91% isopropanol in a sprayer bottle. I have also used the lanolin sprays and still have a big bottle, but I like the wax lubes better because they don't leave the cases so gooey. I'm also experimenting with Ideal wire pulling lube diluted with alcohol in a spray bottle and the initial result has been just as good as the Lee lube.

For lubing the necks of bottleneck cases I put some of the RCBS liquid case lube on a patch and use a slotted cleaning jag to just shove it in and out of the case. I only have to put a drop on the patch every 40-50 cases because it only takes the tiniest film to lube case necks..
    I have tried motor mica on the inside of case necks, but found it to be messy, and not even all that helpful. This looks like a good idea, almost a forehead slapper (why didn't I think of that?).

Wayne
    Last edited by WRideout; 07-04-2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: grammar
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    I started using vaseline jelly for case lube about 15 years ago, it works great and I have never needed to try anything else because it worked so well.
    A small jar lasts forever, a little dab on thumb and fore finger is all it takes, it also cleans cases nicely when you wipe the stuff off.
    To make sure I have it all off, I take a rag with a bit of alcohol to remove the rest of the lube residue before chambering and shooting.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Use Imperial for everything unless it's going on the Dillon then I use Dillon spray. I switched to Imperial when forming 6.5-06 cases and the old RCBS stuff was giving me fits. Haven't looked back and form 40-65 cases from 45-70 was a cinch.

Curt

Banned

though i've tried a bunch over the years, haven't found a case lube better than good ol' imperial wax.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio3Wheels View Post
    Use Imperial for everything unless it's going on the Dillon then I use Dillon spray. I switched to Imperial when forming 6.5-06 cases and the old RCBS stuff was giving me fits. Haven't looked back and form 40-65 cases from 45-70 was a cinch.

Curt
    curt, what die(s) you using to form 40-65 from 45-70? how's the results?

Boolit Bub
    Hornady "one-shot" spray for resizing. Lasts a long time

Boolit Buddy
    I like Hornady one shot for normal reloading and imperial sizing die wax for forming cases

Boolit Master
    OK, I'll chime in but I'm going WAY off the norm...

I've used the commercial stuff, made some of my own, etc etc... but then I found Royal Case and Die Lube from sharpshootr.com (http://www.sharpshootr.com/royal-case-die-lube/) and I am hooked... This is the slipperiest, most reliable stuff I've ever used...

I like to clean my bottleneck brass after I form it, so I give it about 5 minutes in hot water and a cheap degreaser I buy from a Box Store, then rinse a couple times and tumble dry for an hour... My brass is beautiful and I never worry about a stuck case...

And, as always, a little dab'l do ya....

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure if it is the best lube but I am using 50-50 mix of castor oil and red turkey oil (AKA sulphonated castor oil). I made up the mixture based on the idea that the castor oil provides the lubricant while the red turkey oil is a detergent/dispersant that allows me to wash it off the cases with water.

The mixture does separate back to its raw ingredients so has to be made up just before you use it. It also semes to form a gum/wax over time in air but this still works as a lubricant.

Boolit Grand Master

Ran out of my RCBS STP and put a can of Bag Balm on the next Vermont Country Store order. Using it now to up-neck 8x57 to 9.3x57.

I have, for years, used graphite in a medicine bottle of shot to lube the inside of necks. Found out it doesn't work at all with new brass. Now using a q-tip and Bag Balm.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I use a homemade spray lube that's the equal to Dillon's spray lube.

16:1 liquid lanolin and 99% alcohol.

Case forming, I get out the Imperial.

Boolit Master
    Lanolin/alcohol mixture for sizing and case forming. Don't lube the inside of case necks as I replaced the steel expanders with carbide. 223,300 Blk,7.62x39 and 308 just glide with the carbide expander.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast