Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the first brass you converted

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates

What was the first brass you converted

My first one was trying to convert 30-30 to 22 H P.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Cast Boolits Owner

My first was 7-30 Waters followed by 256 Win Magnum.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

In Remembrance
    My first was doing 300 Blackout, which by now is upwards of 500K and that's a conservative figure. Although I do things just a bit differently than most do.

The conversion bug bit me, pretty hard. Now in between doing conversions and reading, I look for more conversions. But I'll need to put a limit on that, at times I get so sore pulling handles I have to wonder...
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    30 Herrett. Very good experience early on for me with annealing, forming, cutting, trimming, flash hole deburring, fire forming with COW, and all the bullets tried out in load development really taught me a lot in my younger days.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

30-06 —> 25-06

Boolit Master
    9.4 Dutch out of 41 Magnum brass. I couldn't let such an interesting revolver go unfired, and it led me into casting my own and loading with BP.

Boolit Master

I helped my grandpa form 25-06 from 30-06. That must have been back in the late 1980's. His rifle was a Weatherby Vanguard, I think it was a VGL model....plain walnut stock, blued finish.

My personal 'first' was forming 30-30 from .32 Winchester Special. Does that count?

Currently working on 6.5 Remington Magnum from 7mmRM. Now that there's this new forum I will try to start a thread documenting the process once I get it finalized.

Boolit Master
    303 British to 44 mag cylinder shot shells.

Boolit Master

30/30 to .30 Herrett a long time ago. The T/C barrel I had was throated long enough to seat 200 gr bullets without touching the lands.. Did not show good accuracy with 125 gr bullets so I sold it.

I think T/C had the first Whisper/Blackout cartridge the way it was throated, they just named .30 Herrett!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Mine was and is the 7x30 Water's from 30-30.

Boolit Master

Learned to form .270 Win. from 30-06 from my reloading mentor (who also coached our Boy Scout/Explorer smallbore team) while I was still in high school.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    30/30 to .30 Herrett a long time ago. The T/C barrel I had was throated long enough to seat 200 gr bullets without touching the lands.. Did not show good accuracy with 125 gr bullets so I sold it.

I think T/C had the first Whisper/Blackout cartridge the way it was throated, they just named .30 Herrett!
    Mike Bellm wrote about extending the neck area of the 30 Herrett chamber the full length of the 30-30 case to be able to seat bullets out with more case capacity, kind of got my interest with some of the molds available in 30 caliber.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Mine was and is the 7x30 Water's from 30-30.
    Same here. I am curious about how hot a load most use to fireform these, it seems with a midrange sort of load the shoulder is not as crisp on the first firing.

308 to 358 for a Lone Eagle Pistol 25 years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    30.06 to 8mm Mauser I broke the linkage on an old press after 20 rounds.....
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    Same here. I am curious about how hot a load most use to fireform these, it seems with a midrange sort of load the shoulder is not as crisp on the first firing.
    Fire-forming I often do using a fast burning flake powder, had a large supply of 700X that worked well with Cream of Wheat topped off with a wax plug, (which honestly doubles as a close range form of pest control.) I read about it in an old Handloader magazine a long time ago. I also used the half-jacket Speer Plinkers in my Herrett with a fire-forming load given to me by Bob Milek, although I'll probably use the Lee Soupcan in the future.

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

What was the first brass you converted

300 Savage from 308. Lots of trimming but as easy as it can get. I did find that I needed a small base die so they would chamber in a Savage 99 for the first firing. After that regular dies work fine.

Last edited by dragon813gt; 01-21-2015 at 10:35 PM.

6.5 jap from a 303 ...i did it the hard way and only made two cases ( what a pain ) next was the 30 herret and then the 7-30 , compared to those two 6.5 jap's they were a walk in the park on a nice day ( especially the 7-30 ) there's been more than i care to count since then .....

gee no thread for the last cases we formed ? lolz ( rimless 375 jdj from 30-06 ,not as easy as making rimmed from 444 marlin )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

250 savage to 22 varminter ( or 22-250)

22 - 6 mm 6 mm Rem down to 22

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast