Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Primer pocket reamers

Boolit Bub

Primer pocket reamers

Ok so I'm just wondering if anybody here uses a primer pocket reamer on their brass. I pick up a lot of brass from the shooting range and had a primer pop on me recently cause it was a bit tight in the pocket I have since started reaming all primer pockets before priming except in some of my higher end brass I purchase as it seems to be more uniform when I receive it. Does anybody else do this?

Vendor Sponsor

used a deburring tool for 20+ years to remove mil crimps.. Bought a RCBS primer pocket swedger and never looked back
    for just a few 20 or so I would probably still ream as its quicker . deburring tool is always on the bench within reach
    Attachment 215996
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 03-08-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Hornady reamer and RCBS (? ) uniformer. reamer gets rid of crimp and uniformer cuts depth correctly.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I use it on rifle brass

Boolit Grand Master

I very lightly chamfer all my primer pockets the first time loading. I do this with a carbide burr that's 90* (45* on a side) Just enough to break the edge good. On rifle brass with a crimp it get swaged in a Dillon super swage tool then the edge broke, last I uniform the pockets to flat and same depth with a Sinclair tool. I prefer to swage pockets over reaming. Swaging seems to give a rounder hole with a better finish than reaming does. for me its faster also. The light chamfer helps a lot with seating primers, it helps to center and alighn the primer before it starts to press in.

Boolit Grand Master

I have hand reaming tools from Lyman and CH4D. I use the reamers to remove any crimp and the primer pocket uniformer to get them all ...uniform .
    I find the reamers do a better job than the swagging tools .
    I first bought a swagging tool but soon discovered it most of the time didn't do a complete job and still had to be reamed and uniformed. So I just went to hand reaming and gave up on the swagging .
    Just finished doing 500 military 7.62 cases ....one day I'm going to get a 308 Win. rifle and I'll be set !
    Gary
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I recently bought the RCBS tool featured in post #2.

Recently ran 100 mixed large and small primer brass through it. Large primer swage tool on the press. Made sorting them very very easy.

Then I ran 100 9mm brass though the small one. About a third of those had some crimp.
    Enough you could feel it at the top, and I had to lower the ram to remove the brass.

I have to say I like the tool. And I really like priming 100 9mm brass with no interuptions. No primers that argued about going in. A bit less force required on the hand primer handle. But still enough to be good and solid.

I think for some calibers like .223 and 9mm it is going to be a very nice tool to have. I have a spare press I can leave it setup in.

I've always used the brass chamfering tool to cut crimps out but I like this.
    I don't expect to use it on everything. But if I run into more than a couple of crimped brass I'll feed it through the process and deal with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    RCBS tool in #2 for me! Period.

Banned

CH4D for me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psk.png 
Views:	372 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	216034

"Priming & Swage Kit
    Our 'ALL STEEL' Swager & Priming Tool can be used in any reloading tool. The Swager will remove the crimp from any military case. Both of these items come complete for large and small primers. The swage punches are made from steel and hardened, so there is nothing to ever wear out. We believe there is no tool that is quicker or easier to use on the market today!

Item Photo
    Priming & Swage Kits
    Item # Title Price
    419000 Priming & Swage Kit $54.62
    419001 Swage Kit $43.51
    419002 Priming Kit $37.73"

Boolit Master
    I have the Lyman lg and sm primer pocket reamers. Usually only use these when only having a few to ream.Sinclair sells both the large and small primer pocket that will work with the Wilson case trimmer. And last of all is the Dillon primer pocket swager. That does get used when I have a lot of mil surp brass to process. Frank

Boolit Mold
    I use Lyman. If I have a lot to do then I have my kid do it. Used to use a Lee but switched. The Lee was fine but the Lyman is more ergonomic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    RCBS tool and the CH also. Like the RCBS better once I learned how to use it.its really fast once you get the hang of it!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    I clean primer pockets with either a "cricket" ,msmall flat screw driver or one of two single ended cleaners. They all work good ,m just what ever comes to hand first. If you have crim,ped pockets that doesn't need to be swedged then I use a Hornady hand reamer.

Boolit Master
    Depends on the use for the finished ammo. Blasting/plinking/varmint ammo gets swaged (if needed) with the Dillon Super Swage, and the primer pocket cleaned. Precision ammo gets the full Monte - flash hole deburred, primer pocket uniformed, etc. We're talking rifles here. FWIW. I run the Sinclair carbide PP uniformers in a cordless drill.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Bub
    I have been loading reformed PPU 06 brass to 7mm Mauser Ackley Imp. Remington large rifle primers were hard to start with old lee priming tool. I just used the RCBS case chamfer tool to break the edge of the primer pockets. Heck, I've even used my small sharp pocket knife to remove crimps used in military brass.