MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Dangerous game rifle shoot

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Dangerous game rifle shoot

Here's something that sounds interesting to go to next summer. I see a couple of my friends there.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/next-sh...allenge/33290/
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

This looks like fun wonder what the rules would be.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

I saw that episode today, tempting. I hate recoil, but tempting!

Boolit Grand Master
    I watched it too. Looks like fun, everything from 45/70 to 460 Weatherby magnums, and moving targets.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Watched that today too, would love to do it, but I think I got a bruise on my shoulder from just watching the episode. That 4 bore that one guy had was insane.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow ninja View Post
    Watched that today too, would love to do it, but I think I got a bruise on my shoulder from just watching the episode. That 4 bore that one guy had was insane.
    I've shot that particular gun quite a bit myself, and it does tend to rock you back a bit.
    If you saw the post I made of the New Zealand stag hunt awhile back, Gene was the guy hunting stag with a 10 bore rifle. It's his blunderbus.
    Last edited by waksupi; 01-22-2015 at 04:01 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    This looks like fun wonder what the rules would be.
    http://www.libbymt.com/news/2014/03/...eChallenge.htm

Moderator Emeritus

At 1:48 in the video it really looks like a member from here. I think it's Clodhopper but am not sure. Looks like a fun time.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

to bad it is to far away. i would have to join them with the lott.

Reckon I best not show up with a brace of 32-20's. Sure looks like fun though. JW
    Last edited by Idaho Mule; 02-07-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: because

Boolit Master
    JW,
    We have more than one big bore that you are welcome to use!
    It really looks like a lot of fun, and would give the .375's, .458WM, and 45-70 a good work out. Might even be able to work it into the Wisdom and Missoula gun show loop - depending on timing (and money, of course!).

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Thank you for posting this. I have not attended, the reason being the competitive shoots here seem to run on Sundays and I made a commitment a long time ago where my imperfect carcass would be on Sunday mornings. But that is just me and I'm not holding anybody else to my convictions. I should drive out after church and participate as an observer. I read their link that waksupi posted and I will say that you do NOT head out from Libby on Hwy 2 west, it is Hwy 2 EAST which is running almost due south in the area referred to ( turn off Hwy 2 right before the bottom of a short, steep grade called Whiskey Hill, you will be coming down that hill if coming from Kalispell it will be where speed drops from 70 to 50). I think there is a flashing crosswalk light right there. Maybe somebody was trying to divert a suspected better shot to miss the match (my poor attempt at a joke). Anyway, this is a really nice area in the summer and is pretty much not on the way to anywhere from anywhere else. No Walmart, but a nice local sporting goods store. If it would nudge someone to attend, I could probably bunk a few at my place, I don't have a fattened calf to kill, but I will mention h*****b***y pie very quietly. Unlimited places to camp or park rv's
    Drive carefully

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Idaho Mule: In addition to what Obssd 1958 posted; There could be at least two,if not more, 9.3.x62 firearms available.. rent is possible,but ideally you can take some home from NCBS '15,and have a month or so to practice up...With moving targets involved,you probably should focus on my 9.3x62 Amish machine gun,put together on spec. by Jesse O.. I note "no light loads allowed" from the link provided, which I hope will not exclude full power Cast loads, as the only factory stuff I have in hand in that caliber is the Nosler brand ,loaded with their 286 Gr.partition.. Thus inhibiting extensive practice for those of us on a fixed income... All Firearms sold at "value prices" as has come to be expected.... Mull it over--Don,Loren,and I discussed this at some length this AM, and concluded that some elk steak, pie/cobbler of Lagene's choosing and a heated wall tent would certainly prove a lot of incentive.... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Well golly-by-gosh there onceabull!! I GOTTA say I am plum flattered by the offers you have extended on the 9.3X62's. You read me like a book, because just the other day I was 'splainin to the wife how we needed something in 9.3X62, most likely a Ruger #1. She looked at me kinda funny, but not really funny, kinda scary to tell the truth, but she is more in to household type things here lately. As far as price for said, we may have to do some bargaining on tent/heater rent and catering services, but I am sure we can reach an agreement. Oh, and by the way, somewhere in the rools here, it says sarcastic stuff is supposed to be in PURPLE!! JW

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    This years date for the Safari Rifle challenge is July 12,2015..Registration Cost is $ 20...if reg.fee received by 5/31,Free T-Shirt... Bad new,though, No Amish machine guns-(possibly allowed to shoot,but not compete..) Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

If there are any 3 Dog Night fans out there, they are playing in Libby on July 11th, (the night before this shoot). I think the tickets are 25 or 30 dollars.

One of the ranges here in Phoenix offers the same event. I have often wondered if I get a 45/70 barrel for my Contender if they would let me run it <grin>
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER