Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 257 Roberts DISAPPOINTMENT

I don't think it'll help, but trying can't hurt. These Squibb bullets seem to me to have a real rpm limit. I've tried slower powders, harder alloys, etc. Faster you go, bigger the groups. It has something to do with the balance of the bullet I think, the bullet's center of gravity in relation to the center of pressure. The bullets have soured many on shooting cast and made a lot of fellows think that other spitzers have the same limitations.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I ran into similar problems with my 311413 170 gr spitzer. Very fussy to get spitzers to shoot accurately.
    It may be that this is the best accuracy I can get out of this 25 cal spitzer. I will give it some more tries. I think a lot has to do with the neck tension. I am slowly eliminating all the variables.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Bub
    I've not had much luck with the 418 spitzer, if that's what you have. I've shot mine through a couple of .250-3000 chambered rifles with different twists (1-14" and 1-10) and suspect that the bullet is cocking before it engages the rifling. I've pushed one through the bore and found that only the last 1/4" is engraved. Might be my particular mold.

Boolit Master

Yes DanLee,,,it is the 418 that I'm shooting
    the twist on my rifle is 1:10 and I've got the boolit pushed out to where it just touches the lands
    Last edited by atr; 02-15-2015 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

groups are getting better...very fussy on how the cases are prepared and loaded. I think I detect some vertical stringing.
    Attachment 131039

Boolit Buddy
    What ever happened?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Necro thread :P Also IIRC the 257 in a Rem 722 has a 1:10" twist? That's what my notes say. Now I'll have to get around to checking that

Boolit Master
    Try either a Saeco 25-100 or an RCBS 25-100 and I'll bet your groups will shrink as long as all other factors are normal. I use both of these in a Savage 16 .250 Sav with a 1:10 twist along with Reloder 7 powder. No reason I can see why it wouldn't also work in "the Bob".
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    My 257 Roberts shot fairly well when the boolits had some some free travel, no more than .020", but the groups tightened up when I loaded the 100 gr. gascheck boolit .015" into the rifling. YMMV!

Boolit Master

I too tried the 257418 in a .257 "Bob" with dismal results. They must not like that spire pointed design. The RCBS 25-100-FN and the RCBS 25-120-SP both gave me groups in the 1" range at 100 yards. This was out of a M722. I was nose first sizing to .259".
    4198 was a winner with both bullets./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Did you bother to clean ALL the jacketed bullet metal fouling out of that barrel before going to coat?
    And in addition to that very basic necessity, what is your C O A L ? My 257 shot mediocre groups with 100 gr GC boolits, until I seated them so they were .015 into the rifling, and things improved muchly. Of course, my Ruger was a long action, and cartridge length was not dictated by magazine length. Keep working, you'll find the magic number one day!

Boolit Master
    Would a heavier bullet help. My experience in 243, 06 and 30/40 was that heavier bore rider bullet seemed to shoot better. Bullet shape matters, a long unsupported nose will deform under pressure whereas a longer bore rider nose will be supported by the lands. Best results I got in 243 was at about 1600 fps, giving about 2 MOA. The rifles were all sporter weight, a Rem 788 carbine, a Rem 700 Classic, and a new push feed Win M70 FWT.

atr
    Don't get discouraged, when you do find the load combination I'm sure it will be worth all the effort getting to that point. Getting help from those that have been there will save lots of time and frustration. Don't forget what one rifle likes may not work in another.
    bob
    Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1238
    Looking at this mold for my Ruger M77 Tang safety. 1400fps or less plinkers
    Thoughts?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123