Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Blackhorn 209 Cleaner Question?

Blackhorn 209 Cleaner Question?

Shot my first loads of Blackhorn 209 in my muzzleloader. Great stuff. But it says on the bottle not to use water base cleaner. Use oil base. What do you guys use that works.
    Thanks very much!
    TR

Boolit Master

Just treat it like the smokeless it actually is and you will be fine. I used it my T/C Hawkin and 45-90 cartridge rifle and cleaning it is apparently no different than the smokeless powders I use in my other guns, at least that's the way it's supposed to be done and it sure worked for me.

BTW, I intentionally left an old CVA rifle and a Cap&Ball revolver uncleaned for weeks to see what would happen and basically what happened was very little of anything, a very thin greyish film that cleaned right off and no rust at all. If it had of been BP or any one of the other subs both guns would have been ruined but the BH 209 did no harm at all, good stuff if they would get the price a little more inline.

Boolit Master
    Oldred is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Just treat it like the smokeless it actually is and you will be fine. I used it my T/C Hawkin and 45-90 cartridge rifle and cleaning it is apparently no different than the smokeless powders I use in my other guns, at least that's the way it's supposed to be done and it sure worked for me.

BTW, I intentionally left an old CVA rifle and a Cap&Ball revolver uncleaned for weeks to see what would happen and basically what happened was very little of anything, a very thin greyish film that cleaned right off and no rust at all. If it had of been BP or any one of the other subs both guns would have been ruined but the BH 209 did no harm at all, good stuff if they would get the price a little more inline.
    Thanks very much! That's so nice to know. Figured I'd have to buy something else.
    It is the BEST I've ever used. I have all the others. BIG difference! and I never had to clean between shots.
    And yes it is HIGH, 40.00 at Scheels. I just about died when my son brought it home.
    Take care

Boolit Master

One other thing about BH209, it's hard to light and in that Hawkin sidelock I couldn't get it to fire reliably. I did get it to shoot but it mis-fired quite often so I burned the rest of my 209 in the cartridge guns.

Boolit Grand Master

The Mag-Spark 209 adapter fixs that http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html

Perm-Banned
    i only use 209 powder and it is 34 dollars here. i just use several dry patches to clean when done shooting. all my sidelocks have the magspark nipple on them and they go off every time with the 209 powder. its great behind any kind of bullet.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm really liking the sound of Blackhorn as the cleaning chore makes me less eager to shoot my front stuffer. What do you guys use for boolit lube with Blackhorn?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Perm-Banned
    i shoot paper patch and no lube at all. best accracy with paperpatch.