RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 35 whelen 250gr load recommendations

Boolit Master

35 whelen 250gr load recommendations

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for load suggestions for 250 gr Cast in 35 Whelen,,,,,with powders such as 4895, 2400, 4227...something around the 1800 to 2000 fps velocity
    thanks
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

40 grains of 4895 with a dacron filler should be somewhere in that ballpark. I had a few hangfires with 4895 without the filler at that level. Once the dacron went in, no more problems.

I'd start with a Google Custom Search in the white box above, using the particular boolit mold you have. Also, I'd try to match it up with your caliber, twist rate and barrel length.

If those are your only powder choices, I'd agree that 4895 is the one to go to first. A medium burner powder would be best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42grains2206H_4_small.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	128255
    AR2206H is made here in Australia, repackaged by Hodgdon and sold in the US as H4895. No filler. THe mould is the Cast Bullet Engineering 250grain. Oven Heat treated, pan lubed with Gator GC.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master

that's a nice group sthwestvictoria!
    I did find a load of 21 grains of IMR 4227 referenced in F. Waters book of pet loads.
    and I just tried 20 grains of 2400 which shot pretty well.
    looks like I have a lot more experimenting to do!
    thanks all
    atr

One powder that has worked very well in my whelen is imr4350. 50 gr. behind a 200 gr. and 48 gr. under a 300 gr. shoot around 1950fps. Both boolits will group into 1 1/2" or less @ 100 yds. You didn't mention having this powder, but it may be worth trying for you.

Boolit Master

Yes, I do have this powder (lots of it),,,its one of my favorites...thanks for the info..
    atr

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Yes, I do have this powder (lots of it),,,its one of my favorites...thanks for the info..
    atr
    Ok then i'll also say on the upper end i found a good load at 54 1/2 gr with the 200 gr. and 54 gr. with the 300gr. with imr 4350 for 2200 fps +. with both boolits. Again accuracy was 1 1/2" @ 100 yds. It seems some rifles like different brands of 4350, such as my brothers rifle prefers aa4350 and mine likes the imr4350. There were no signs of pressure with any of these loads in MY rifle.
    I had to heat treat my straight ww boolits to get good accuracy past 1800 fps in the whelen.
    465* for 1 hour then dunk in water. My twist rate is 1/14".

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I suggest people co-relate the velocities shot with our 290 range bullets, with any factory loads. Most match or exceed the speeds. Also note, that the speeds shot from the Whelen, are in the exact same speed range as the .358 Win. Just something to keep in mind when thinking about chambering a rifle. The .358 Win does it all in a shorter cartridge and action.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I did find a load of 21 grains of IMR 4227 referenced in F. Waters book of pet loads.
    and I just tried 20 grains of 2400 which shot pretty well.
    atr
    I saw your thread on the 2400 load. I haven't used that, only H4895 and Varget for the heavier (>200grain) loads in the whelen. I have used AP70N (Hodgdon Universal) for 158grain cast pistol bullets.

I use a lot of H4227 (AR2205 in Australia) in the 30-30. It would not be a first choice in a larger case like the whelen. The Lyman 4th Ed does give loads with it, but only to 204grain Cast, starting at 30.0grains H4227 and going to 36.0grains.

On the other hand the Lyman book does given 30-06 data up to 200grain with H4227 so maybe it does work well in the larger case.
    Keep us updated.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Grand Master

I'm having promising results with a bit lighter boolit using H4895, H4350 and IMR4350. I think the 4350 powders are a bit slow for this cartridge but if you hit the right load they can be impressive.
    As Waksupi points out the 358W does almost everything we ask the 35 Whelen to do with less powder in a handier and often lighter package. I think the 358W may also have a wider selection of suitable powders. I don't have a 358W but I did have a 30-06 with barrel issues, now I'm proud to have a 35 Whelen.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I took a week off and snow-shoed up to my cabin in the North Central Cascades. It was a good break but I got back and loaded another 10 rounds of 35 Whelen with the 250 NOE FN.
    I was out this morning firing at 50 yds target and then 100 yds at broken chunks of clays. Deadly accurate at 100 yds,,,I had no problem vaporizing the broken bits of clay targets. See the photo below for the 50 yd group 5/8" x 1/2".
    Attachment 129037

Boolit Grand Master
    That is what we get out and work so hard to accomplish.

Great shooting. You've really done your " home - work".
    I'll have to try that 2400 load myself.

That's impressive.

Ben

Boolit Master

I finally am getting around to further load development. At the range today I tried
    250 gr Cast NOE flat nose / sized 0.358
    50 yard shooting from the bench
    1. 24.3 grains / 2400.....best group with 2400 1-5/8 x 3/4...the horizontal was probably due to me more than the load (see picture)
    2. 26.3 grains / 2400.....group tended to open up
    3. 45 grains / 4895........best group of all combinations (see picture) 3/4" x 5/8"
    4. 48 grains / 4895........worst group of all combinations....the pattern seems to open up as the velocity increases.
    Attachment 155400
    Last edited by atr; 12-11-2015 at 04:52 PM.

You may need to water drop or heat treat to shrink the groups with the higher charges of 4350.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

I agree with water drop or heat treating to get best accuracy above 1800 or 1900 fps. in the whelen.
    You should be getting into some pretty serious speed with that 48 gr. 4895 load.

My groups tightened up in that speed range(2000 fps. and up) after ht with straight ww.

You've got hunting and target shooting covered right where your at though.
    Good job!!
    This is just a suggestion to try if you try to go faster....it has worked for me and several others i know of in the whelens.

Boolit Master

the boolits I was using were cast pretty hard,,,,,60's vintage WW + a touch of pewter
    I think I will try the most promising loads with slugs of a .359" dia. (.001 over what I am using now)

Boolit Buddy
    I took a week off and snow-shoed up to my cabin in the North Central Cascades. It was a good break but I got back and loaded another 10 rounds of 35 Whelen with the 250 NOE FN.
    I was out this morning firing at 50 yds target and then 100 yds at broken chunks of clays. Deadly accurate at 100 yds,,,I had no problem vaporizing the broken bits of clay targets. See the photo below for the 50 yd group 5/8" x 1/2".
    Attachment 129037
    ATR,.....any idea what your velocities were with that load of 2400?