Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Finishing touches to my 45-120

Boolit Mold

Finishing touches to my 45-120

hello,I'm a new member and was wondering who might be shooting the 45-120. This is my first custom build rifle and I picked the 45-120. My 45-70's are great fun but I wanted something different and a challenge at the same time. I started with a 1902 # 5 Remington rolling block that was in 7mm carbine, had a heavy octagon barrel with a 1 in 18 twist made by local barrel maker, for sights I got Kelly extra long range soule rear and Kelly spirit level front, picked up 220 pieces of brass and 2 cases of goex powder, 1 of 1F and 1 of 2F for starters. For the stock I ordered from George Peterson at Tree Bone Carving. This is the last thing that I am now doing and although this is slow work for me I want a good wood to metal fit. When finished with the rifle the real work begins, finding the right bullet, powder, compression etc. As far as I can tell right now this rolling block will weigh close to 14lbs. looking forward to working up some loads and would like to hear from other 45-120 shooters, any info would be great,and thanks 120Rick.

Boolit Master
    These would not be custom builds such as your's they would be H&R's, if you go to Greybeard Forum quite a few .45-70 have been reamed out to .45-120. Might be a place for you to start learning what others have done. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Perma-Banned

i have a 45-120 based on a wickliffe action. It is a great gun.

In Remembrance
    Isn't the 45/120 cartridge too long to chamber in a rolling block?
    Something about interference from the hammer nose ...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Welcome! Sounds like you'll be right at home here.

NOE Molds gets a lot of deservedly high praise here. They make this copy of the Postell bullet: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...ejinimiv6bf5p0

Have not tried it in the big 100 and 120 cases yet, but in .45-70 with Triple 7 it has turned in some of the the most consistent velocities and tightest groups my father and I have seen. We're running it in the just barely subsonic speed range. Supersonic to be determined.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold
    Yes CM, there had to be a slight modification to the top of the hammer, and also was able to use the original rotary extractor with some work being it was set up for a rimless 7mm case but the 45/120 case now slides right past with ease.

Boolit Mold
    Hello John, I had the pleasure of shooting a wickliffe in 45/100 quite a lot last summer. A good friend has this rifle and is the guy who got me started in the bpcr's. Glad to hear you shoot the 45/120. In reading all the forums I could find, this cartridge seems to be disliked for several reasons, expensive brass,lots of powder and lead,hard to find a load for, not a true buffalo cartridge etc. etc. I myself think that being a more difficult round to load for makes it all the more fun when you finally find that perfect bullet load combination. I love my 45/70's but can't wait to start experimenting with the 45/120.

Boolit Mold
    Hello Bigslug, and thanks for the welcome. I haven't the slightest idea yet which mold I will get for this 45/120. I will be using grease groove bullets, and have a lot of friends shooting the 45 calibers and they said to wait on picking a mold until trying all the molds they have already, narrowing it down and after finding the one's that work for my rifle. makes a lot of since, then they will be used to cast bullets instead of collecting dust on the shelf. Thanks for the information i'll sure check them out.

Boolit Grand Master

Actually you might want to select several diffrent wieght bullets in that cartridge. a light one for close work plinking. a medium wieght for longer ranges and a full on heavy for long range serious work. Perhaps something around 375 grns for up close chickens at 100 yds and the lighter recoil, something in the 400-450 range for pigs and possibly turkeys, or hunting. Then the fun bullet a full on heavy in the 500-550 grn range for long range rams or big animals. Also dont tie yourself to just goex powder, Old ensford and swiss perform very well also and with less foulingissues to deal with. When working up loads start at full case no compression of powder and work up in 2-3 grn increments ( this not only icreases the powder charge but compression as well) testing roups on the targets perferable at the range to be used or as close as possible to it. Buying or using bullets from "friends" to start with gives a good idea what to look for in moulds.

Perma-Banned

Rick, I lke the 45/120 it has been a great cartridge. I have 550 grain bullet for it and use blackpowder pretty much for most loads. It works so why change.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Country Gent, appreciate all the info. I agree about the powder, just got a good deal on the two cases of Goex . With the 1F and 2F it should give me some practice, playing with loads and bullets for a while. But will also be trying some of the others as soon as I get more familiar with loading black powder. Always been told to write everything down and change only one thing at a time. Can't wait to get started.With this long barrel and larger powder charge,with a good bullet lube, I'll be interested to see if I can get by with a blow tube to keep the residue soft or will have to wipe between shots. This black powder shooting is going to be fun, while loading and shooting smokeless for longer than I care to admit, its finally become somewhat repetitive. And now with black powder its like starting volume two and going back to school.

the "back to school" bit is a true description of your path you have chosen.

I own a fine Shiloh in the 45-120 and it shoots well enough for me ... however when I lived in Alaska ... the powder and lead were somewhat sporadic and expensive to come by. I have shot from 300 grain boolits thru the 650 grain patched slicks thru her and all but the lightest boolits have been a handful for many more then a few shots. recoil is pretty good with my rifle and im guessing that my Hartford with 30 inch heavy barrel is in the 12 pound weight area. she bucks with full steam 120 or + grain 2F loads.

I have had a very light 120 in a winchester 1885 of modern Miroku vintage and it were too much fun in the 8.5 pound rifle for me. I had it rebarreled to 38-55 in a Winchester #4 contour barrel and couldn't be happier.

I love the 3.250 inch cases and like to handle them and load em and shoot em some ...but... I get tired of the recoil fairly fast with the bugger. am still contemplating getting the folks at Shiloh to rebarrel it to a 26 inch heavy barreled 40-65 chamber that will allow me more shooting time with such a spiffy rifle.

glad to hear of another 120 shooter and I bid you good luck in your adventure and as has been mentioned above ... welcome to the forum!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks bigted, nice to hear from you. Yea Im expecting some recoil although it will help some being mine will be in the 14 lb range still I know about recoil for sure. The 375 H&H, 458, and 378 Weatherby started me respecting recoil. Glad to hear you are a 45/120 fan. There are so many variables with this black powder, that the fun could go on forever.Can't wait to get this stock work done so I can get started.

a photo of your beast would go long here and we always like to follow [vicariously] others builds/purchases. this sounds like a fun rifle build. what kinda buttplate will you go with?

Boolit Mold
    Hello again bigted, when i get that stock fit and finished i'll try to figure how to post a picture. I'm not to computer savvy ha ha, but i bet my boss can help out she's my go to every time I freeze this thing up, soon as she gets home from work, a couple quick clicks on the keys and back in business! As far as the buttplate goes it will be a shotgun buttplate. That happens to be what i'm inlaying into the stock at this time, this steel buttplate resembles the one on a model 70 winchester. I ordered it and the stock from George Peterson at Tree Bone Carving.