Lee PrecisionGraf & SonsTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaInline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Have you checked your oven for tempuratre accuracy?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Toaster ovens and their accuracy

Boolit Master
    I bought two different $40 convection toaster ovens with temperature dials. It was hard to repeat a setting (crunchy dials) and the temperature swayed wildly. I found a Fabberware for $10 more that has a digital setting that is working better. It maintains temp within a few degrees, but takes a long time after putting boolits in to reach the desired temp again so I heat it to 450 and it returns to 400 a little quicker.

I'm thinking of finding some insulation to wrap around the outside of the oven. I also read that someone put ceramic briquettes in theirs to help stabilize the temperature.

I bought four oven thermometers and put them all into my oven at once in the center next to each other. One was much higher one much lower and two almost matched so I kept those two... hope those two are correct.

By the way what's the easiest to build least expensive PID setup? It seems that every other person here is using one, and I want in .
    Five out of six doctors agree that Russian Roulette is completely safe.

Boolit Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    By the way what's the easiest to build least expensive PID setup? It seems that every other person here is using one, and I want in .
    I like the Mypin units. They aren't the absolute cheapest, but they are not much more and they read in °F instead of °C. I have two of the size 4 units and one of the 7 and I much prefer the bigger size, but that's all up to you. If I were adding another unit that I was going to build myself, I'd get one of the Mypin PID/SSR combos on fleabay or somewhere (I got the stuff for my first unit from Auberins and the next two were built with stuff from fleabay after I knew what I needed) and then pick up the thermocouple and heat sink and fuses and switches/lights as separate items. There are several threads on building PIDs in the equipment section. Try it! It's fun and not too difficult, since I can do it and I don't know an Ohm from a Watt. The main tip that I can give is to get the biggest container/cabinet/box that you can live with. Of course everybody wants to build one as small as a pack of cigarettes, but once you get in there wiring and soldering, you'll really appreciate some "finger room" if you get something with a little extra space in it.

Here's one link, and it even includes an equipment list. You can get the components from Auberins or shop around for price and just get the exact same parts from the retailer of your choice.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ol-temperature
    Last edited by Beagle333; 09-14-2018 at 02:29 AM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Ghh3rd, one thing you might want to consider is converting a standard oven for powder coating. I got a good quality 30" built in oven from a neighbor for the effort of hauling it off. The all digital control was out and it would cost a lot to replace so I just installed a PID and timer.
    I picked up an Inkbird kit off Amazon for $40, which includes the PID, temperature probe, relay and heatsink. Of course you still need wire, connectors & terminal blocks makes things much easier. I also added a timer, not necessary, but really nice to be able to set it and forget it. I also added a salvaged fan for added additional cooling of the relay. The nice thing about a full size oven is being able to PC other things and a lot of bullets. Finding a convection oven will also take care of the uneven heating of standard ovens. My oven is going on two years old and holds to about 2 degrees. Nice thing about a fulls size oven is they are usually built better and have better insulation than a toaster oven.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2265.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	227123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2266.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	227124

Boolit Bub
    We got a Cusinart toaster oven and it is right on the money after a 10 minute pre-heat. Works great.

Boolit Bub
    My 10 dollar Salvation Army Store oven is off by 75 degrees but with a cheep oven thermometer I know what temp to set it on for powder coating.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Ghh3rd, one thing you might want to consider is converting a standard oven for powder coating. I got a good quality 30" built in oven from a neighbor for the effort of hauling it off. The all digital control was out and it would cost a lot to replace so I just installed a PID and timer.
    I picked up an Inkbird kit off Amazon for $40, which includes the PID, temperature probe, relay and heatsink. Of course you still need wire, connectors & terminal blocks makes things much easier. I also added a timer, not necessary, but really nice to be able to set it and forget it. I also added a salvaged fan for added additional cooling of the relay. The nice thing about a full size oven is being able to PC other things and a lot of bullets. Finding a convection oven will also take care of the uneven heating of standard ovens. My oven is going on two years old and holds to about 2 degrees. Nice thing about a fulls size oven is they are usually built better and have better insulation than a toaster oven.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2265.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	227123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2266.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	227124
    Like I needed another project! Now I have to snooping around for an oven! More room-more bullets!

“To achieve victory we must mass our forces at the hub of all power and movement. The enemy’s "center of gravity”

― Karl Von Clausewitz

Boolit Buddy
    Mine was sometimes right on but sometimes off enough to melt the bullets that where being baked so I built a pid controller and bypassed the thermostat in the unit.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345