Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

View Poll Results: Have you checked your oven for tempuratre accuracy?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

171 74.67%
  • No.

26 11.35%
  • Don't think it's neccesary.

14 6.11%
  • Been meaning to.

18 7.86%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Toaster ovens and their accuracy

Boolit Master
    I bought two different $40 convection toaster ovens with temperature dials. It was hard to repeat a setting (crunchy dials) and the temperature swayed wildly. I found a Fabberware for $10 more that has a digital setting that is working better. It maintains temp within a few degrees, but takes a long time after putting boolits in to reach the desired temp again so I heat it to 450 and it returns to 400 a little quicker.

I'm thinking of finding some insulation to wrap around the outside of the oven. I also read that someone put ceramic briquettes in theirs to help stabilize the temperature.

I bought four oven thermometers and put them all into my oven at once in the center next to each other. One was much higher one much lower and two almost matched so I kept those two... hope those two are correct.

By the way what's the easiest to build least expensive PID setup? It seems that every other person here is using one, and I want in .
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    By the way what's the easiest to build least expensive PID setup? It seems that every other person here is using one, and I want in .
    I like the Mypin units. They aren't the absolute cheapest, but they are not much more and they read in °F instead of °C. I have two of the size 4 units and one of the 7 and I much prefer the bigger size, but that's all up to you. If I were adding another unit that I was going to build myself, I'd get one of the Mypin PID/SSR combos on fleabay or somewhere (I got the stuff for my first unit from Auberins and the next two were built with stuff from fleabay after I knew what I needed) and then pick up the thermocouple and heat sink and fuses and switches/lights as separate items. There are several threads on building PIDs in the equipment section. Try it! It's fun and not too difficult, since I can do it and I don't know an Ohm from a Watt. The main tip that I can give is to get the biggest container/cabinet/box that you can live with. Of course everybody wants to build one as small as a pack of cigarettes, but once you get in there wiring and soldering, you'll really appreciate some "finger room" if you get something with a little extra space in it.

Here's one link, and it even includes an equipment list. You can get the components from Auberins or shop around for price and just get the exact same parts from the retailer of your choice.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ol-temperature
    Last edited by Beagle333; 09-14-2018 at 02:29 AM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Ghh3rd, one thing you might want to consider is converting a standard oven for powder coating. I got a good quality 30" built in oven from a neighbor for the effort of hauling it off. The all digital control was out and it would cost a lot to replace so I just installed a PID and timer.
    I picked up an Inkbird kit off Amazon for $40, which includes the PID, temperature probe, relay and heatsink. Of course you still need wire, connectors & terminal blocks makes things much easier. I also added a timer, not necessary, but really nice to be able to set it and forget it. I also added a salvaged fan for added additional cooling of the relay. The nice thing about a full size oven is being able to PC other things and a lot of bullets. Finding a convection oven will also take care of the uneven heating of standard ovens. My oven is going on two years old and holds to about 2 degrees. Nice thing about a fulls size oven is they are usually built better and have better insulation than a toaster oven.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2265.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	227123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2266.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	227124

Boolit Bub
    We got a Cusinart toaster oven and it is right on the money after a 10 minute pre-heat. Works great.

Boolit Bub
    My 10 dollar Salvation Army Store oven is off by 75 degrees but with a cheep oven thermometer I know what temp to set it on for powder coating.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Ghh3rd, one thing you might want to consider is converting a standard oven for powder coating. I got a good quality 30" built in oven from a neighbor for the effort of hauling it off. The all digital control was out and it would cost a lot to replace so I just installed a PID and timer.
    I picked up an Inkbird kit off Amazon for $40, which includes the PID, temperature probe, relay and heatsink. Of course you still need wire, connectors & terminal blocks makes things much easier. I also added a timer, not necessary, but really nice to be able to set it and forget it. I also added a salvaged fan for added additional cooling of the relay. The nice thing about a full size oven is being able to PC other things and a lot of bullets. Finding a convection oven will also take care of the uneven heating of standard ovens. My oven is going on two years old and holds to about 2 degrees. Nice thing about a fulls size oven is they are usually built better and have better insulation than a toaster oven.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2265.jpg 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	227123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2266.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	227124
    Like I needed another project! Now I have to snooping around for an oven! More room-more bullets!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Mine was sometimes right on but sometimes off enough to melt the bullets that where being baked so I built a pid controller and bypassed the thermostat in the unit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I also read that someone put ceramic briquettes in theirs to help stabilize the temperature.
    Placing heat retaining media in an oven helps it recover, return to operating temperature much faster.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I haven’t checked. Max is 400 on my little oven, so I set it to that. I put my boolits in a cold oven and set it to forty minutes. It’s always worked fine for me that way. If it’s not broke don’t fix it.

Boolit Master
    If you do multiple batches adding ceramic tiles to your oven will help retain heat for recovery, however the downside is it will take longer to come up to temp if you do single batches.

I picked up a new Black & Decker quartz toaster oven for $7 and planned on giving it to a friend's son who wants to get into PC. I checked it out with a serviceman"s thermometer and the thing won't get over 380 degrees topped out with the dial showing 450 degrees. I could install a PID, but for the cost I could just buy an oven that works.

Boolit Man
    I have a couple toaster ovens used for several things, I just use them straight and temp them with an IR thermometer, mine cost more but you can get a decent one on ebay for under $15, and just adjust the oven knob until it is at the temp you want then mark it with a sharpie.

Boolit Master
    I bought the $20 Mainstay oven at Walmart. 50 degrees off (hot). If I set it at 350 it runs around 400.

My $9.99 Goodwill convection toaster oven is set at 300 on the dial to get me 400 on the thermometer. It holds temp great once it's warmed up and coats great boolits.

Nope, I set them both to 420-425 (highest on the dial says 450) and bake 25 minutes after 10-15 minute warm up, no bullets melt and all bullets pass the hammer smash test.

If a $6 oven went wild and melted bullets, or it failed the hammer smash test at it's max (typically 450 on most ovens I know of) setting I'd 86 it and get another one. As it is my two ovens work perfectly.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Bub
    My $7 goodwill special is about 25f off. I have it figured out now.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I bought the $20 Mainstay oven at Walmart. 50 degrees off (hot). If I set it at 350 it runs around 400.
    I had the exact same experience with that oven.

Boolit Master
    If an oven thermostat that runs high or low is little importance if you have a good thermometer to quickly & accurately read the temperature, just adjust the thermostat to where the thermometer says 400, mark the dial and you are set. However, an oven that won't get to temp or a thermostat that has high or low shifts so it doesn't maintain an even temperature is a problem. Consistency is the key.

Boolit Master

Yes - matches perfectly:

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

Walmart purchased Oster toaster oven with the Turbo Mode function (which I suspect mimics a convection oven) runs 65-70 degrees hotter than set temp in or out of Turbo Mode.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    I tested mine by first accidentally melting a few boolits. Now I have it low enough to not melt them and it works great even though I have never put a thermometer in it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast