Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners

Thread: Addenda to Who Made It...

Boolit Master

Addenda to Who Made It...

I inspected (by hand, individually!) all the boolits made yesterday with this mould, and found about 40% culls, mainly cused by the pins not registering with their sockets. Several showed flash on one side of the base, indicating bad vertical alignment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flash.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	127861
    Others showed displacement of the halves.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Offset1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	127862
    Others were just plain ugly, and my ego will not allow me to show those. Be advised - I will adjust those flamin' pins when I get back to home base...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Yuck!

Who ever made it, ????
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

My guess is that the preceding owner (Pre-eBay) wasn't able to diagnose the problems - probably didn't have the help of a few thousand folks on CastBoolits! I believe I will get this thing to behave - but I still wish I knew who made it!
    I don't believe there is anything wrong with the blocks themselves, just mainly the pins, but the possibility of less-than-optimal closing pressure front-to-back could be another problem that I'm not sure how to address. Maybe drill new holes for Lyman nutcrackers?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

bhn22
    Do the handles fit somewhat tightly in the grooves? I had difficulties similar to this one time and traced it down to the realization that the particular set of RCBS handles I was using were extra thin at the mounting area. They were more like Lachmiller handles than RCBS. One other possibility exists, the mould may work better with nutcracker style handles, if you can find a set that'll fit. There's not much support on the far end of the mold, and the weight of the blocks may simply be working against the alignment pins.

Boolit Master
    I do not know just who is responsible, but I would wager that it does NOT say NOE on it...

Boolit Master

your post

Echo, there is one better thing, her cousin (the lingerie model with waist length red hair) having to move over so she can get out of bed to make breakfast.

I tried that once, on R&R in OZ. Found out I was not nearly the man I thought I was...

Boolit Master

Have had NO experience with a red-headed lingerie model, and at my stage in life - well, the less said, the better...

And I checked my assortment of nutcrackers, and none are long enough to fit the 10-banger. The RCBS handles fit well, and the mold is supported while being filled, and the #1 (Top/Front) cavity gets filled first, so it is the first to set, while the last ones are being filled. We'll see...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U