Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Sniper review

Boolit Master

American Sniper review

Saw it Friday, read the book last year. Honestly I have low expectations at the theater these days and don't go much. I thought this movie was very well done overall. There wasn't much grey in Chris Kyle's service, decisions on the battlefield were black or white - wrong or right - no matter how tough. And that part of the movie, his four tours in Iraq, portrayed that well. His skill was amply noted but it was not all about Kyle either. The larger picture was about the brotherhood of American fighting men, all volunteers fighting the enemies of this country, and at a terrible cost.

The overarching theme dealt with the total cost of war. Not only the death and mutilation you can see and measure, but the emotional and psychological trauma, more subtle but every bit as real. This cost is born not only by the soldiers but their families.

I thought American Sniper was outstanding in it's portayal of the total cost of war, and raised my level of gratitude and appreciation even higher for those who step up and defend America today. Best money I've spent in a while.

Boolit Master
    We watched it last night. I thought it was reasonably well done. Thought yacking on the phone during a mission was a little odd.
    ph4570

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    We watched it last night. I thought it was reasonably well done. Thought yacking on the phone during a mission was a little odd.
    That was actually in his autobiography, read it last year. I thought it was well done, some omissions but that's always true.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Banned

My wife and I went last night. I thought it was ok but not what it was hyped up to me. Lone survior was better in my opinion

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen or read "American Sniper", but I did read the book and watched the movie "Unbroken" It was the story about Louie Zamperini and his extraordinary life. I highly recommend this movie, as it shows in graphic detail the hardships pows endured under the Japanese, and how Louie's life was turned around in the end.

Boolit Grand Master

Sold out locally since Friday. Maybe next weekend. Glad it wasn't a disappointmet

Love Life
    I often find myself pondering if he really did kill all those American citizens in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Boolit Bub
    Word came up that it was going on at that time but I can't confirm it.

A guy who believed in a greater purpose and did what was needed. LIbs claim it's an anti-war movie. Just hope the JERK doesn't see any money from it. Seen all 3, each is different. Yea, Fri. is movie & dinner date nite with friends but sometimes we just play board games cause there's nothing good at the movies.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    It's not unheard of. An old GF got a phone call from her Navy CB son during a firefight.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRob View Post
    Word came up that it was going on at that time but I can't confirm it.
    Someday the whole truth will come out about the aftermath of Katrina. But then again, maybe not. I don't think most people really want to know what happened a little to the east of me not that many years ago. I hope I live long enough to read about what history records about this disaster.
    All I can say with absolute certainty is that too many folks died and truckloads of taxpayer dollars disappeared into pockets unknown to make Joe Public feel better about the "slow response" to this disaster.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

It no just Katrina what about Rita and worse yet Ike, if it wasn't for helping each other many more wouldn't have made it.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned

ya if you search around a bit on the internet you have to wonder if he was a nut case, suffering from ptss, or just a chronic lier. claims he fought ventura, claims he sniped Americans in Katrina, claims he killed two men at a gas station that tried to steal his truck. Lots of claims
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I often find myself pondering if he really did kill all those American citizens in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Boolit Master

Haven’t seen the movie yet but have heard from one that did and he advised it will bring back memories for those that were on the battle field and know of the horror of the sounds of mortar rounds walking in to your position and advancing into areas of no importance, as one is just following orders taking ground, as incoming rounds are zipping around their bodies.

This is the way I look at it. The man volunteered for the Service, the man made it through SEAL training, the man made it through sniper training, the man did his duty in combat and did his very best to protect his fellow Service Members and us, the American Citizen. I respect him for that and I could care less what he may have “mis-spoke” about concerning macho feats after his Service to our Country. He was a good husband and father and will be missed by his family and all those that knew him well.

Haven't watched it. I intend to. One thing that's current is fatboi Michael Moore calling (responding directly to the movie) snipers "cowards".. as his dad or what was shot by one once upon a time or so I gather. oof, exactly wrong.. these "cowards".. nevermind you probably know

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...oters-cowards/
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Master
    Saw it three days ago. I loved it. Go watch it, if you dont have time find it. Make your wife go too.

Boolit Master

This isn't a war movie, per se. It's partially a war movie (action, scenery, sub-plots all involve the war), but it's also a look into a man and what war does to him psychologically. It's not done overtly, which is Clint Eastwood's genius, but it does permeate the entire film. I understand PTSD better now, even though I have some experience with it.

If you just want action, Lone Survivor is better. If you want to see all the angles of how war sucks (a.k.a. "Reality"), American Sniper is better.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
    This isn't a war movie, per se. It's partially a war movie (action, scenery, sub-plots all involve the war), but it's also a look into a man and what war does to him psychologically. It's not done overtly, which is Clint Eastwood's genius, but it does permeate the entire film. I understand PTSD better now, even though I have some experience with it.

If you just want action, Lone Survivor is better. If you want to see all the angles of how war sucks (a.k.a. "Reality"), American Sniper is better.
    Agreed. It was OK. Lone Survivor was better. I liked American Sniper, but I didn't think it lived up to the hype.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    Haven’t seen the movie yet but have heard from one that did and he advised it will bring back memories for those that were on the battle field and know of the horror of the sounds of mortar rounds walking in to your position and advancing into areas of no importance, as one is just following orders taking ground, as incoming rounds are zipping around their bodies.

This is the way I look at it. The man volunteered for the Service, the man made it through SEAL training, the man made it through sniper training, the man did his duty in combat and did his very best to protect his fellow Service Members and us, the American Citizen. I respect him for that and I could care less what he may have “mis-spoke” about concerning macho feats after his Service to our Country. He was a good husband and father and will be missed by his family and all those that knew him well.
    Hi,
    +1 Bravo!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ya if you search around a bit on the internet you have to wonder if he was a nut case, suffering from ptss, or just a chronic lier. claims he fought ventura, claims he sniped Americans in Katrina, claims he killed two men at a gas station that tried to steal his truck. Lots of claims
    No, unlike some who post on this forum, his claims are documented. Every sniper kill/shot had to be well documented. Kyle's work was well documented. I read several of the AARs from his activities in '04/'05 when I was in Iraq.

I see this thread has drifted off onto conspiracy theories.......you want a nut case; Ventura is your boy..........

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast