MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Reloading the Henry .44 rimfire

Boolit Master

Reloading the Henry .44 rimfire

Have done as much searching as I can think to do but has anyone done anything with coming up with a way to shoot the .44 Henry rimfire. I understand back in the Turner Kirkland days that Dixie carried some kind of a reloadable case for the 44 rimfire as well as the 41 rimfire but after trying to wade through their internet site I came up with nothing.
    Starting from scratch here so any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Reg
    Facta non verba

Moderator Emeritus

Reg,

Not sure if this helps but I did see an older post here (you responded in it):
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...enry-rimfire-s

I also saw where supposedly a back issue of Handloaders magazine showed how to create the 44 rimfire but supposedly an intensive process. Not much help I know.

Ron

Boolit Master

I did check into that older post, it seemed like it was a blind alley then and might well still be but would be interesting to see what was in that Handloader issue. Would anyone be able to check the October 2011 issue, perhaps run off a copy ?
    Thanks
    Reg
    Facta non verba

Moderator Emeritus

One thing the author of that article (Handloader) does not pick up on when he says ammo can be made for the Henry's is a Henry has a 2 prong firing pin. So if you've got a Henry or 1866 you will have to make up cases with 2 offset holes or make a substitute firing pin with only one striker.
    kootne

Boolit Master

kootne, do you have that article ?

Good friend has that Winchester and yes, it has the double firing pin. We just want to say we have shot it so the special handling involved ( placing the shell one at a time in the chamber ) will not be a problem. I am sure we will just stay with a round ball.
    Finally found the shells at the Dixie site and they only have the one cut out. I can make up cases like this but am wondering if having all the pressure of the firing pin hitting only one side would put undo pressure on the firing pin itself ??
    Facta non verba

Reg, I have the article, it has some good stuff. I got it off Amazon for a couple bucks. I'm not sure what the "right and wrong" is about distributing photo copies of copyrighted material. I would mail you the magazine "on loan" if you would get it back to me.
    I think on your Winchester it would easiest on that old firing pin to take the effort to put in 2 primer blanks if there is room.
    kootne

Boolit Master
    My guess is that with that old double firing pin, if one side hits a primer and the other side hits hard brass... you're going to break it.

I'd go the "double primer" route if it was my gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by koehlerrk View Post
    My guess is that with that old double firing pin, if one side hits a primer and the other side hits hard brass... you're going to break it.

I'd go the "double primer" route if it was my gun.
    I was thinking first of just milling out an area for the oppisent side of the firing pin to go into rather than letting it hit that hard brass but then got to thinking it still would put undue stress on that old double pin even then. There would be a "flexing" instead of a even hit.

Am thinking then that when cutting the shell for the primer that two "primer pockets " be made, one side we can use a .22 short case with the bullet pulled or even a .22 blank if we can find any. When loading, one pocket will be filled with a fired case with the indent indexed so the firing pin will hit fresh , undented metal and of course the other side will live a live "primer' or shell with the head pulled and the powder removed. This should make the impact pressure equal.
    To keep all pressures low we are thinking of using Pyrodex or ff black and a round ball.

We are not trying to make the old rifle usable as it once was but rather just fire off a few very low powered loads, put it on paper and see what it will do.

kootne, PM inbound
    Facta non verba

Winchester still makes black powder .22 blanks.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290...wder-box-of-50

Smokeless blanks are readily available at your nearest Lowes or Home Depot

At $6 or so per 100 they are pretty reasonable.
    2 - contains 1.0 grs powder
    3 - contains 1.6 grs powder
    4 - contains 2.1 grs powder
    The powder has a burning rate similar to Bullseye. It can be removed to just use the case as a blank or left intact and additional slower burning powder added depending on the application.

I found that the No. 2 as is produced factory velocities in my 1892 Marlin .32 LC in cases modified to use the rimfire pin.

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 01-22-2015 at 01:36 PM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master

Kootne, What issue # of Handloader is that in? I have a lot of old ones I have not been through looks like an interesting article. FB

Firebricker, it is October, 2011