Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Need help with a 45 carbine load

Need help with a 45 carbine load

A friend that I got started reloading and casting bought a Hipoint 45 carbine. He has a mold for a 200 gr rn boolit and wants to work up a load for it. He didn't find any data so I started looking and I didn't find any either. I don't know what to tell him, I load for several pistols but I don't load for rifles (yet). Anyone load for a pistol caliber carbine? What data are you using? Powder? Thanks

Just to get you pointed in the right general direction.

200gr RCBS SWC 5.2 Red dot

'Way back when 45s were still THE CALIBER for IPSC/USPSA, IIRC, most people used somewhere around 5.8 of 231 with the H&G #68 200 grain boolit. They sure worked good in a pair of custom Government models

4.2gr-4.4gr Promo under a 200gr lswc/rnfp in my 45acp. Soft shooting in plastic of both calibers. Promo is the same as Red Dot loaded by weight and cheaper

+1 for Promo. I use 4.5 gr under 45 ACP 200-230 gr.

Now, don't take my word for it, go out and SEARCH. Google is your friend, Cast boolit site is da bomb!

One thing I've found that helps is to A specify caliber, B Bullet weight, C Powder preferred. You probably want to start with powder you have available if possible, but don't let that totally limit you. And in case you hadn't noticed, I have a definite preference for Red Dot, because I can use it in EVERYTHING.

Boolit Master

I think I remember the Lyman book before this last edition had some carbine loads. Not the cast only manual but the one with jacket bullet loads in it. You can use regular 45 loads too intended for a pistol I think, They should work though you may have to work them up. I had a 9mm hi-point and liked it a lot, It did well with heavier pistol loads.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    If you are looking for rifle date for the 45 ACP, you're right you aren't going to find anything. In general, load data for something like a 45 ACP isn't going to be different, you have the same pressure limitations for the cartridge.

Thanks for the replies, that gives me something to tell him. poor boy doesn't even have a pc. Don't know what I would do without Castboolits!

Boolit Buddy
    Autocomp powder will give more velocity when shot in a rifle barrel, other than that, you load the cartridge the same whether it is shot in pistol or rifle, in fact some loads might be slower in the rifle barrel due to the bullet slowing down in the long barrel. I've seen that in my chronograph data when the velocity of select factory rounds were shot in a 1911 pistol and a 16 inch carbine. JimP.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned you won't find any different data from pistols for the rifles. Most all 45 ACP rifles are semi's that function with "blow back". They are designed to function with standard 45 ACP time pressure curves. Increase the time/pressure curve and you'll beat the gun up and probably break parts. Best to stick with standard pistol 45 ACP data. I've used my standard M1911 load of 5 gr Bullseye under 195 - 205 gr cast in all sorts of semi auto carbines from M1928 Thompsons to Marlins to HighPoints. Also use it in FA guns. Excellent load for both handguns and carbines, rifles and subguns.

Larry Gibson

Banned

a 45 acp is a 45 acp, same as using revolver calibers in a lever-gun.

you might gain some velocity from a slower powder [shrug] but it ain't a hunting rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    If he is really so ignorant that he doesn't know where to find .45acp load data I wouldn't just give him the data, tell him to go buy a lyman cast bullet handbook and read it and he will find plenty of data along with everything else he needs to know.

Also pistol powder is still difficult to get so there isn't much sense in giving him random data for the powders I have stockpiled if they aren't available to him. Anyone who sells powder knows what works for .45acp and often they can provide loading data booklets as well or there may be data printed right on the can.

Boolit Master
    I have a Hi Point 45 acp carbine. here is the deal. Just load regular 45acp loads for it.
    You will get the increased velocity just because it has a longer barrel.

But dont bother trying to load slower powders to specifically take advantage of that 16 inch barrel.

The Hi Point is a strait blow back bolt. I tried some slower powder, Like Herco.
    All I got was ejection before all the powder was burned. And actually lost velocity.

Gun really like Bullseye though.

I probably wouldn't load any slower powders in the blow back Hi-Point. I really don't know how strong it is. I have read that some guys have built .45 ACP carbines out of Mauser actions and used slower powders like 2400 and got higher velocities. A Rhineland kit is my next wish............
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

Here is one on line info for the 45acp
    http://handloads.com/loaddata/defaul...Powder&Source=

You can't go wrong with 4.5 to 5 grains of Red dot using any boolit between 200-230 grains. They shoot like Magic!

bhn22
    BlueDot seems to be the std powder for 45 carbine loads, along with Herco. They are still handgun level rounds, but are the ones favored by pin shooters. I'd use a 230 gr bullet myself. You won't see a lot of improvement on a 200 gr bullet. If it were a heavier built gun, we could go into the really cool stuff.