RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single seven Kaboom

Boolit Master

Single seven Kaboom

4 rounds.
    Federal factory 327. Couldn't eject them. Had to take the cylinder out. Thought t was odd but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when firing it. Had brought other guns so I set it aside. When I got home and started cleaning I saw that the barrel on the underside had burst open.....
    Guess I'll be calling Ruger and federal.

Edit: there was metal blocking the ejection rod. When the cylinder was removed the cases fell out.

Last edited by prsman23; 01-19-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Guessing Ruger will be on the hook for this one. Keep us posted.

Boolit Bub
    Never saw one exactly like that before,is that the only damage?

Boolit Master
    Yeah. That's it. Just kinda peeled open. There is a small bulge where it starts to open up toward the ejector.

Boolit Grand Master
    Could you elaborate upon the "Couldn't eject them" information? By this, I'm wondering if brass was pressure-stuck in the charge holes (possible over-pressure/out of spec ammo) or that the ejector rod was simply tied up by the barrel fault and distension. Something is egregiously wrong, certainly--either with the OEM ammo or a seamy barrel. I like and liked the idea of a Ruger Blackhawk or GP-100 in 327 Federal, I wonder if chambering that little flame-thrower in a Single-Seven-sized platform might not be a bit much. I recall some engineering issues with the SP-101s so chambered. My own view is that Ruger made errors by discontinuing their larger-framed revolvers for this caliber. Perhaps their Colt-sized SAA frame might be a better housing for this hot rod.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Is it a squib in front of a full power load that caused the barrel to split like that?

Boolit Master

Single seven Kaboom

To elaborate. When I went to remove the cases by way of the ejector rod they wouldn't budge. Any of them. The cylinder rotated. But they couldn't be pushed out of the cylinder with any amount of reasonable force.

I don't think it was a squib. Every round went off without a hitch.

Boolit Master
    Wow... Looks like it was your lucky day, for not getting hurt I mean. Let us know how it works out with Ruger. They have always treated me right.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely blessed in that aspect.

To add insult to injury I just sent my brand new never fired charger back to Ruger yesterday

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prsman23 View Post
    To elaborate. When I went to remove the cases by way of the ejector rod they wouldn't budge. Any of them. The cylinder rotated. But they couldn't be pushed out of the cylinder with any amount of reasonable force.

I don't think it was a squib. Every round went off without a hitch.
    Thank you, sir. This points a little more toward faulty factory ammo. As pressed as Federal and all the other makers have been since the ObamaNation took over, I'm surprised there aren't more instances of faulty ammo hitting the shelves as production is allegedly accelerated to keep up with demand. Not so that you would notice much of an uptick in output, though.

Ruger has a sterling reputation for taking care of their customers via warrantee coverage. I think you will be fine once they become aware of the situation. I think Ruger is your best first call--there is no definite indicia that the ammo was faulty at this point. That sort of question is for the folks wearing propeller hats at Ruger and Federal to hash out.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Never saw a barrel come apart like that. Almost like a fault line or defect in the metal. Glad you didn't get hurt!

The failure happening at the end of the barrel, I am guessing this is where the pressure would be lowest, seems to point to a defect in the barrel. Just guessing.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    It looks to me as though there was a fault at the point where the e-rod housing was attached to the barrel. If the screw went in too deep and left a dimple or even a hole, the crack could have started there, couldn't it? Of course as hot as even the factory ammo is designed to be, any minor flaw has the potential to be a fatal flaw. Glad my 327 FM Ruger is built on the Blackhawk platform!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Looks like a tight spot, or maybe the bore was undersized or the bullit oversized. Please let us know wheat they find, that is interesting (in a bad way)
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

OUCH!!!!!! What is sticking out of the split near the cylinder pin?
    Every shot you get in life counts

Glad you weren't hurt!

I can't wait to see what they say, please keep us posted.

This is one of the reasons I always use new ammo in a new gun. They can't blame me.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Super Moderator

I see a possible recall in either Federal ammo, or Single 7's in the near future. Most likely an ammo problem if I had to guess.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by **oneshot** View Post
    OUCH!!!!!! What is sticking out of the split near the cylinder pin?

Yep, what is that sticking out of the split. My guess is its part of whatever was obstructing the barrel.

Mike

Boolit Master

Single seven Kaboom

Quote Originally Posted by MSD MIke View Post
    Yep, what is that sticking out of the split. My guess is its part of whatever was obstructing the barrel.

Mike
    Looks like metal from the barrel. It's also what kept me from ejecting the rounds. The rod stopped at that spot. Was kind of in shock of my brand new gun coming apart at the seams (so to speak).

Not my month for Ruger's. Just sent a brand new Charger back to the factory yesterday.

Boolit Buddy
    Scary deal, glad you weren't hurt.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Wow!!! I would bet it is a manufacturing error. Make sure you send some of the ammo if you still have some.

Pretty sure they are going to take care of you well. You will get back the best single seven any where.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast