Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Group buy on Lee 6 cavity mold- Lyman 452423

Group buy on Lee 6 cavity mold- Lyman 452423

I called Lee Precision and spoke with them about a group buy. Should be no problem if we can get a minimum 25 orders. This will be for a diameter of about .454 with straight wheelweights.
    Who is in? If we get commitments for 25 molds, I'll start taking checks, and place the order.

Cost will be $56 including Priority Mail shipping. (this is in the USA, shipping will be more for outside the USA orders)

Here is an interesting article about this bullet: www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm

Edit: As of now, 10:45 pm on 3/27/05, we have 24 requests, so it's time to start the process. There are a few points that need to be clear.
    This is a group buy. We are all buying these molds from Lee Precision togther so we don't have to pay the $100 set up fee to get a custom mold.
    I am not retailing these molds. If any of us would have a problem with the mold, we have to contact Lee direct. Another point: If you have never used a Lee mold, you should read the tips on how to prep them and use them. They are different than iron molds, and have different characteristics. Mis-handling them could easily cause damage.

ORDERING INSTUCTIONS:

Funds: Hit the e-mail link at the bottom of this post and send me an e-mail telling me you want in on the group buy. I will send you my name and address by e-mail. Send check or money order to me. Do NOT ever send cash by mail. Include your name, full mailing address, phone number, and e-mail with your payment. I will take payments for 3 weeks and then place the order to Lee Precision. I will hold your checks until I pay Lee. That may be when the order is placed. As the checks arrive, I will post the list by zip code as has been done in the past.

Patience is required. We will get the molds when Lee makes them, and not a second sooner. Last year it took a month or 2 longer than was expected, but we did get them. Lastly, this is my first time heading up a group buy and it will be a learning experience for me. I am relying on the advise of those who have done this before.

Thanks,
    Hardcast
    Last edited by Hardcast; 04-06-2005 at 10:17 PM.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago

Count me in on anythin to do with 452423. It will be a couple of weeks before I can send the check, but I am in 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar
    Count me in on anythin to do with 452423. It will be a couple of weeks before I can send the check, but I am in 100%.
    Chargar,
    It was your article that turned me onto this bullet. Is there any problem with linking your Sixguns article to the threads about this group buy? BTW, I though you were not interested in any mold made of aluminum. Maybe it was someone else who said that.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Gotta LOVE that single lube groove, I will keep my eye on this thread.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar
    Chargar,
    It was your article that turned mo onto this bullet. Is there any problem with linking your Sixguns article to the threads about this group buy? BTW, I though you were not interested in any mold made of aluminum. Maybe it was someone else who said that.
    That was probably me you were thinking about. I DO NOT LIKE aluminum moulds, and especially DO NOT LIKE LEE moulds!

That's why I have 5 special order single cavity and 3 special order 6 cavity Lee moulds, with another 2 special order 6 cavity on order, and now another 6 cavity (in a style I just can not find in Lyman) as soon as I get this one ordered. And, if the 311440 clone deal gets to working, I'll undoubtedly sign up for one of them as well.

Do I make a lot of sense? Sure, to me at least! 8)
    Regards,

WE

Hardcast..use that article anyway you wish. I have no problem with aluminum molds. I have quite a few NEI molds and have had good luck with them all. I am not a big fan of Lee molds, but their six holers are a quantum leap above their one and two hole molds.

I have a pair of the original Oldfeller 6.5 Cruse Misslle molds and a six hole 8mm Karabiner. Both are great molds that cast great bullets.

Boolit Bub
    First; the .454" diameter with ww is great, but my curiosity is what is it going to weigh out with the ww lead.

Second; how soon would I have to send in the funds? Being on a very tight budget I have to plan every expense well in advance.

Joe

Boolit Master
    I cast a few of these in ww lead on a borrowed Lyman mold and they weighed between 242-245gr on my digital scale.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller
    First; the .454" diameter with ww is great, but my curiosity is what is it going to weigh out with the ww lead.

Second; how soon would I have to send in the funds? Being on a very tight budget I have to plan every expense well in advance.

Joe
    Joe, the original design was listed as 238 grains with Lyman #2 alloy IIRC. That means they would be just a little heavier with wheelweight metal. This is just as Harley45 found in his experience. Once we are sure we have 25 orders, then I will take checks or money orders for 3 weeks or so, then place the order.

Boolit Master
    Just a side note I size this to .452 and so far it has fed real well in my two 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by harley45
    Just a side note I size this to .452 and so far it has fed real well in my two 1911s
    Harley45,
    I had to go to .451 to get reliable chambering in mine, but I leave .045" or .050" of the front driving band out of the case. If I seated them a little deeper, then .452" might work for me too.

Boolit Bub
    Hardcast,

Thanks for the answers. Now to see if I can set the money back.

I'll keep an eye out here.

Joe

Boolit Master
    hardcast I never measured mine but I seat to the bottom of the front driving band.

Boolit Bub
    Hardcast,

One more question; does the six gang Lee moulds come with handles?

I've never used anything other than the single cavity ones I bought decades ago.

Joe

Boolit Mold
    Count me in if you can get the deal going, sir....
    Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner316

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller
    Hardcast,

One more question; does the six gang Lee moulds come with handles?

I've never used anything other than the single cavity ones I bought decades ago.

Joe
    Joe,
    Although the Lee 1 and 2 cavity mold come with handles, this is NOT so for the 6 cavity molds. The 6 cavity handles can be purchased through any retailer that carries Lee casting products.

Boolit Bub
    Hardcast,
    Have checked with with the budget and we can do it. Sign me up for one.
    Joe

I'm interrested
    How many do we have now??

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    13 for sure and maybe 2 possibles

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast