Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: proper grip for bisley

I'm new to the Bisley as well. One thing with my SS 4 5/8th in .45 Colt was that the wood grips were simply too thick. Broke out the sand paper and thinned em out to suit me. Now my "pinky under hold" with a firm grip works.

Banned

I am the odd man out since I shot heavy bows and my knuckle is twice as large as it should be. It is fully 1-1/8" wide and deep. Get that thing behind a guard once! I hate a SBH with wood panels.
    But Larry, rotation in the hand will always be wrong, even with a light load. The hardest thing to control is a free barrel rise, even a C&B should be in the same place out of recoil.
    I hold a .22 pistol the same as my .500. I say to let your arms and body control rise but if you have 1/4" dowel rods for arms, bets are off. You need some strength for a revolver. I see it as I get older and shake more with enough grip.

My hand is average -

I used to have a SBH .44 mag (7.5") and a SS (6'). I was never really comfortable w/ either grip.

I replaced both w/ Bisley guns (see pic below). The Bisley grip works for me! The fluted-cylinder .44 below is one of 3000 made in 1986. I saw the ad for a used .44 Bisley on Guns America, 98%, but no pic. Missing the box. For $259.00, I took a chance. When we opened the box, we were shocked to see one of the rare, fluted cylinder guns!

Banned

My opinion is they are dead fugly. No gun will ever have the appeal of the Colt SAA.
    I am going out of place again and hope mods do not get angry, but show groups from Bisleys. I can't, so bad I tossed targets, only had one once. 50 yards or 50 meters to 100.
    I hate to step over the line but gun pictures alone are not how they shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    My opinion is they are dead fugly.

I feel the same way about all the Kardasian's!

But someone must think they are attractive!

show groups from Bisleys.
    25yards, off hand, 200 grain saeco TC boolit, 9 grains Herco, 12 shots.

My big hands did take a beaten until I started to add a Tyler T-grip to my offending handguns. They're ugly but no more bloody hands.
    http://www.t-grips.com/
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

I'd love to get me a birdshead bisley blaster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haugen_zpsdc1f4a5c.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	127790
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramar View Post
    My big hands did take a beaten until I started to add a Tyler T-grip to my offending handguns. They're ugly but no more bloody hands.
    http://www.t-grips.com/
    Ramar
    Yeah, me too and my friend had a few Freedoms and he could not shoot them either and he is small. He sent off for the rubber grips and it made a world of difference. I have cut my middle knuckle to a bloody rag too many times.
    Had another friend here that loved the Bisley but he taped his trigger finger with Band Aids (How do you cut that finger?) and wore a heavy glove.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldphile View Post

25yards, off hand, 200 grain saeco TC boolit, 9 grains Herco, 12 shots.
    Good group and shooting but try a 330 gr at over 1300 fps. I am a hunter first and second a long range shooter to 500 meters (547 yards.) With revolvers. Maybe the introduction of recoil might change your mind.

Groo here
    The most important thing is the grips fit YOU.
    44man can't shoot Bisley grips but can colt style.
    I shoot a lot of DA revolver and shoot both DA and Bisley the same.
    Colt type are more accurate for me one handed then two.
    To each his own , we all don't ware the same size underware do we?

Vendor Sponsor

One thing that should be mentioned here is that the Ruger Bisley Grip seems to disperse heavy recoil better than any other grip out there. This is the exacty reason why I have a Ruger SBH Bisley instead of a S&W M29 or 629.

The S&W's tend to direct the recoil impulse directly into the web of your hand. This get old fast.

The Ruger Grip, on the other hand, directs the recoil towards the heel/palm area in between your thumb and first finger of your hand and thus spreads the impulse over a larger surface area which in turn decreases Perceived Recoil.

I knew this after the very first shot.

It should also be noted that the large majority of Custom Sixguns made into Serious Arsekickers by Linebaugh and Bowen are made off Ruger Bisleys. Go to www.customsixguns.com and have a quick look at the short video on his homepage, which pretty much shows why.

My grip above and again below (I did not invent this but learned it from them that knew) allows independent movement of my trigger finger which is necessary to good trigger control and yet with the thumbs over locked insures a good grip on the gun that is also easy to repeat and controls recoil well. Also shown below you can see how the Sixgun grip is merely an outgrowth of the Standard Weaver Style grip used on Pistols. The transition between the two comes very quickly and integrating the cocking of the piece during the flow thru positions 4 and 5 during the draw comes almost naturally. (I use the 5 position draw method.)

It is one thing to be able to shoot revolver accurately,,, It is quite another to be able to actually get it in the game in a timely manner. If you can't get the gun out of the holster and on target fast,,, it really doesn't matter what grip you use.

One other fine point is the sights on that gun, A Weigand Front with interchangeable blade with a white line and a Bowen Rear with a white outline. This sighting arraignment allows quick and precise alignment, and the versatility to change front blades to accommodate low and high power loads.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-18-2015 at 04:52 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com