Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.625x54R reduced load with 123 gr pill

Boolit Buddy

7.625x54R reduced load with 123 gr pill

Just got a M19/30 Mosin-Nagant. 1938 Tula receiver but an Izzy bolt. All serial numbers match.

I love to reload. I like the challenge to work up a good load.

I want to do a reduced load for cheap plinking in the Mosin. I slugged the bore. Measured with my calipers (I have a micrometer coming in the mail) it is between .311/.312 groove diameter. More closer to the 0.311 diameter.

So, on line I found some 123 grain 0.312 sized Polymer Coated bullets cheap. I think I want to try them. It is close to Ed Harris' recommended 125 gr minimum.

Has anyone done this yet? Is it worth trying?

I am considering casting. Well, I WANT to cast but I want to shoot some different stuff to see where I want to start with this gun. I also have an M1 Garand in 308 that I like to shoot. The reload F-bombs I shoot in it. Factory ammo performance was lousy. Once I started reloading, I found a load that is sweet to shoot, accurate, and is easy on the action. The Mosin is a bolt gun so I don't have to worry about proper action.

So, is 123gr @ 0.312 size worth trying a reduce load with to say 100 yds with 5 grains of Bullseye or equivalent

TIA
    Paul

Yep 5 grs of BE will generally work very well i shoot that same load in my Springfield with a 155 gr unchecked boolit at 100 for offhand practice

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Do a search for "Mouse fart" or "Cat sneeze" loads on this site. I use 32 cal pistol boolits in my 30/31ish milsurp rifles. Hornady 32 cal swc works well, just start with the largest size. I use Green dot for my loads.

Boolit Master

Welcome, there is a trove of reduced loads here to be found, so many I'd take years to.try them all, keep us posted I've not played with a boolit that light except some touch loaded 98 grain Russian training ammo I had years ago. No reason you're won't work I'm often surprised at the accuracy and the distance you can get from a cat sneeze load.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks to all repliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Janoosh View Post
    Do a search for "Mouse fart" or "Cat sneeze" loads on this site. I use 32 cal pistol boolits in my 30/31ish milsurp rifles. Hornady 32 cal swc works well, just start with the largest size. I use Green dot for my loads.
    What weight 32 cal pistol boolits do you use?
    Barrel lengths?
    Twist Rates?
    I didn't want to try something known to be too light/short for the M91/30. It has a 29" barrel with 9.5 twist!
    I will search on those. I think those are the only phrases I haven't tried yet to search on.
    , there is a lot to read on here.
    Last edited by LuckyDog; 01-15-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added barrel length

Forgot to mention no wadding or filler is needed for these light loads using fast pistol or shotgun powders like Bullseye or Red dot and similar , just make sure you don't double charge a case best was to do this is charge your primed case and then seat the bullet before charging another .

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Lots of reduced loads for the Mosin. As a matter of fact thats 99% of what I shoot. Have to save the shoulder.
    I also shoot allot of 32 mag from pistols so I ordered one of the adapters to shoot them out of my Mosins.
    I was surprised how well they shot.

This is a 100 yard target with the 32 mag adapter. Thats fun gun shooting worthy.

Was using my Brush gun Mosin w/ Millet red dot.

Boolit Master

Okay. Here's where i started.
    Lyman 311316
    Lyman 311359
    Lyman 313226
    Those are all single cavity molds and, although I like a calm casting session with a single cavity mold, I just shoot the boolits faster than I can cast them.
    So now I buy Hornady 32 swc (312-315) lead. I use Green Dot, not more than 10 grns.
    In ---
    Finn nagant 91
    Finn 91/30
    Spanish FR7 in 308
    Jap type 99
    Swiss K31
    Swiss G96/11
    I don't size the boolit and only neck size the brass if it needs it. You'll see what I mean. Any primer available. Accurate at fifty yds if I work at it and I can hit a 2'×3' plate at 100.

Boolit Master
    It sounds like you have a common refurbished rifle. No matter, they work fine.

I have fired a number of Hornady .312" 100 gr XTP pistol bullets in several Mosins. My powder charge was much stouter- 28 to 31 gr of IMR 4227. Accuracy was excellent in a number of rifles from carbines to M91s.

Best of luck with your Tula.

I have a Tula as well and first measured the barrel slug with calipers and got .311-ish. Bought a micrometer, same slug read .3133. Just saying do remeasure when the mic comes in.

I went the cheap route with my Mosin's, I started with a pair, both slugged .312.

I am now mostly using the Lee .312 185 gr gas check design, but beagled with alum tape so they cast at .314, run them through a .314 sizer to crimp on gas checks.

This last year accuracy steadily improved from water heater box sized groups, through 5 gallon pail, and ended at bean can size, maybe 3 or 4 inches.

I continue to work on lube, and loads and as the bores polish up accuracy continues to improve.

I'm hoping this year I can move from 50 yards out to 100 and still keep them on the target.

Smaller boolit will kick less, and those Mosin's with full loads do deliver a nasty jolt.

I'm thinking I'm going to be beagling my .312 155 gr up to .314 next and see what that does. Might even try a few Jwords.

I don't expect MOA accuracy, but 2 MOA consistently would be nice.
    All I can say is enjoy the journey!

Boolit Master
    Been shooting a 100 grain .312 cast bullet in all my milsurp rifles over 6-7 grains of Bullseye with good accuracy. Just picked up a 91/30 Mosin and am still working on a plinker load for it. I've tried 5.5 grains of Greendot and 6.5 grains of Bullseye with the Bullseye load working better. Worked up to 9 grains of Bullseye and really lost any accuracy, figure I was pushing it too fast. Seems that a bigger diameter boolit works better in a lot of milsurp rifles for plinkers with a medium charge. Have fun

Boolit Master
    @ A pause for the CAZ
    Where did you find the .32 chamber adapter ?
    I had one for the 7.62 x25 Tokorov but let it go with a rifle I sold to Boot the deal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    @ A pause for the CAZ
    Where did you find the .32 chamber adapter ?
    I had one for the 7.62 x25 Tokorov but let it go with a rifle I sold to Boot the deal.
    Sportsman's Guide has them.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...nsert?a=587989

Boolit Buddy

So I found this on the site: Recipes for Mouse Fart Loads in the 30'06

Haven't finished reading it yet but since the 7.62x54R is pretty similar to 30'06, I figure there are some good ideas there. (I love to learn) I added the link here so whoever finds this in a search will hopefully also go there.

@A pause for the COZ: that is a really neat gadget.

@Eddie: Keep me informed how it goes. In my searching those are some cheap and readily available bullets. I guess if the velocity is kept low enough they will stabilize. I have heard of rounds literally going poof out of a barrel due to centrifugal force.

The mic showed up last night but I couldn't find the slug. So, now I get to do it again. That was my first attempt at slugging, so I think I do a better job this time. I know more now.

Thanks all, I am looking forward to getting started.

Moderator Emeritus

13 grains of Red Dot are what I use under a 160 grain lee TL boolit. Fairly accurate and it would easily take a deer or other game. And recoil is minimal!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    I have a Tula as well and first measured the barrel slug with calipers and got .311-ish. Bought a micrometer, same slug read .3133. Just saying do remeasure when the mic comes in.
    I was just thinking about posting something like where are you guys finding these .311ish Russian Mosin Nagants, when I read this post. I find most to be above .313 like Cowboy Dan found.

My favorite sub-sonic load uses a Lee 160gr 2R TL and 6gr of Bullseye. Like RU Shooter, I don't use any filler with this load.

My super sonic load uses the same boolit cast a little harder at 15bhn and is gas checked. I get 1850f/s with 16gr of Unique and accuracy is very good.

Motor

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    I was just thinking about posting something like where are you guys finding these .311ish Russian Mosin Nagants, when I read this post. I find most to be above .313 like Cowboy Dan found. My favorite sub-sonic load uses a Lee 160gr 2R TL and 6gr of Bullseye. Like RU Shooter, I don't use any filler with this load. My super sonic load uses the same boolit cast a little harder at 15bhn and is gas checked. I get 1850f/s with 16gr of Unique and accuracy is very good. Motor
    Most snipers (not repros) and ex-snipers will have tighter bores that are slightly tapered. This was done accidentally but contributed to accuracy and precision, which in turn allowed them to be selected for sniper conversion.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Buddy

I did the re-slugging with a micrometer. Still got .3111 on one pair of grooves and .3116 on the other set.
    The lands are just about 0.308/0.309 using the calipers.

The narrowest part of the barrel is near the muzzle.

I see people talk about measuring the throat. I assume that requires casting? How would I get the chamber casting material (Cerrosafe) to pour into the chamber and not all over the action parts?

A buddy of mine and I bought ours from caseclassicsjohn on gunbroker.com. Was a little nervous cause it was more money than others, but it was worth the extra money. I can safely recommend John if you want one. He treated us real well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
    I did the re-slugging with a micrometer. Still got .3111 on one pair of grooves and .3116 on the other set.
    The lands are just about 0.308/0.309 using the calipers.

The narrowest part of the barrel is near the muzzle.

I see people talk about measuring the throat. I assume that requires casting? How would I get the chamber casting material (Cerrosafe) to pour into the chamber and not all over the action parts?

A buddy of mine and I bought ours from caseclassicsjohn on gunbroker.com. Was a little nervous cause it was more money than others, but it was worth the extra money. I can safely recommend John if you want one. He treated us real well.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...y-prod384.aspx

By all means, cast the chamber! I've not done mine yet -- but since I cast, I have no good excuse for not doing so.

Regards,

Josh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast