Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: PC'd boolits in a suppressor/

Boolit Master

PC'd boolits in a suppressor/

Currently waiting on a F4 to come back on a sealed can (AAC 762-SD). The primary purpose of the can I bought is for .308 and 5.56, and cast is not something I use a lot of in those. However, I am considering buying a .300 BO IF people can demonstrate that shooting lead, or very specifically and almost exclusively, PC'd lead in a suppressor that is sealed is "safe" for the life of the suppressor. I have seen very little written either way about that.

I know from shooting through comped guns that PC WILL get into the nooks and crannies of a comp, but that's pretty trivial to clean out generally. Does anybody have experience cleaning (with "THE DIP" or any other methods, ultrasonic etc) sealed cans with PC boolits?

I would only be shooting non-gaschecked bullets for paranoid fear of a baffle strike anyway.

I bought a sealed can because they are generally much higher quality units than the breakdown rifle cans, unless you count the cans that are almost specifically for lower power cartridges (liberty mystic, for instance, or shooting .300 BO in a 9mm suppressor) and again, my primary purpose is j-words in .308 and 5.56. But hearing from someone who had used PC with a sealed unit would be interesting.

Boolit Master
    I bought a break down can for just this reason. I use hytek and have had zero issues or build up.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

My suppressor is break down. I have never shot PC through it, but lead sure does build up. Over time the suppressor gets noticeably heavier. But, I am running a 9mm MP5, so a bunch of lead can go through the can in a hurry! I have considered PC'ing as a test, but have not yet. I break my suppressor down and sometimes it is so bad I bead blast the baffles to get them cleaned up.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    A timely inquiry on the part of the OP.

I ordered a 30 caliber take down can for my 30 cal rifles for the express purpose of shooting cast bullets through it. Taking possession of this can is still a few month down the road so I really can't say one way or the other how it will hold up shooting PC'd bullets.

I'm confident it will hold up just fine; and since I'll be able to clean it after every use, I don't anticipate any problems; with or without PC.

It's called the Scorpion King by it's manufacture. It will be doing double duty. I plan on using it on my K31 Swiss, my 30-303 Enfield and my Tikka T3 Lite in 223. This will be my first can. I hope to use it as a pattern for making my own "Form 1" cans in the future.

I too looked for the kind of info inquired about by Echd. I found none regarding rifle calibers so I took a chance after researching this particular can.

HollowPoint

Vendor Sponsor

I am up to about 2000 RDS on a yhm 308 suppressor uning 308 and 300 blkout both sub's and supers. No visable buildup so far. No difference in sound
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a gemtech 9mm can I use as my abuse FA can for subguns. It's semi sealed - end cap comes off for the LID (which I never use having better pistol cans). I've gun a couple k of PC'd boolits thru it and have seen no issues. I wouldn't run PC'd ammo thru a ported can unless I could take it apart since they'll all shave jackets and PC ain't that tough - think mp5sd...I've seen them with little pieces of jacket rattling around! That's the only time I'd worry about PC in a can.
    Smooth is Fast

Boolit Master
    I have a Liberty Mystic, so really never thought about the PC thing. BTW, you can shoot full power 5.56 through it per Liberty. I would "guess" that you should be fine. Folks shoot PC cast through just about everything now without having leading problems. I would assume that the addition of the suppressor wouldn't change that.

Another note: This is a personal decision I made, but would highly suggest cleaning with something besides "the dip". That stuff, while it evidently cleans really well, leaves you with some nasty residue/byproducts. Not worth the risk to me. YMMV. I clean my suppressor cores (all my suppressors are take apart), adapters etc in an ultrasonic. I do not clean my tubes in it though, per the MFG recommendation. I would check with AAC to make sure it is OK for your SDN-6 to go in an US. I would think yes, except that it MAY damage the finish of the tube. The US does a good job of getting the crud off, even my 22lr suppressor which is usually waaaaay NASTY by the time I clean it.

Boolit Mold
    I have a YHM Phantom QD 7.62 that is primarily used on the .300 Blackout, PC’d Lee 230-5R subsonic. I have had zero problems of any kind (other than normal carbon buildup). No evidence of paint fouling at all. OTOH, the coyotes & beavers are the ones having problems. Accuracy is within “minute-of-skunk” at 120 yards.

I was amazed how efficient the can is on a .22LR with standard velocity (subsonic) ammo. All you can hear is the firing pin click & the crow go splat. I bought a Savage MKII to go with the can. Just too much fun!
    Doug

If you do what your enemy expects, you will die.

Keytruda came. Keytruda saw. Keytruda kicked my cancer's butt!

Boolit Buddy
    Just remember You should NOT mix Aluminum and Ultrasonic cleaners...EVER. Also, cleaning cans is overblown and overdone. 22lr cans get nasty - but its not like you need to clean them every 200 rounds. When your talking the high pressure cans you don't really need to clean them at all....I soak mine in kroil occasionally for a few days and then blow them out with air. sometimes Ill run a wire bore brush done them..I have 3-4 cans that have had thousands of rounds thru them and there's no loss of performance. A few of these have been really abused with mag dumps, demo'd out at MG shoots, minor baffle/end cap strike, etc. This does not apply to 22lr cans which you need to clean every 500-1000 rounds. Ive tried the soaks and scrubbing and ended up just bead blasting the baffles and endcaps...you can always send them back for replacement parts if they get worn out...Granted I also have a couple dedicated 22lr FA/abuse cans - a tac-65 and An SRT commanche (*** - but stainless tube and baffles).
    Smooth is Fast

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougStump View Post
    I have a YHM Phantom QD 7.62 that is primarily used on the .300 Blackout, PC’d Lee 230-5R subsonic. I have had zero problems of any kind (other than normal carbon buildup). No evidence of paint fouling at all. OTOH, the coyotes & beavers are the ones having problems. Accuracy is within “minute-of-skunk” at 120 yards.

I was amazed how efficient the can is on a .22LR with standard velocity (subsonic) ammo. All you can hear is the firing pin click & the crow go splat. I bought a Savage MKII to go with the can. Just too much fun!
    I have a Hi standard with an integral can that's mouse fart quiet like that...I have a buddy that has an old can (sonics I think) - looks like the old monster sized Mac cans in 22lr that he shoots with a FA m-16 conversion that is awesome - most noise comes from the bullets hitting the backstop! FA suppressed 22lr is one of the coolest NFA combo, IMO.
    Smooth is Fast

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingerdoc View Post
    I have a Hi standard with an integral can that's mouse fart quiet like that...I have a buddy that has an old can (sonics I think) - looks like the old monster sized Mac cans in 22lr that he shoots with a FA m-16 conversion that is awesome - most noise comes from the bullets hitting the backstop! FA suppressed 22lr is one of the coolest NFA combo, IMO.
    Ya know the wet “thwock” sound when you drop a fresh (thawed) chicken on the floor? Same sound when you hit a crow at 50 yards.
    Doug

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    I have a Liberty Mystic, so really never thought about the PC thing. BTW, you can shoot full power 5.56 through it per Liberty. I would "guess" that you should be fine. Folks shoot PC cast through just about everything now without having leading problems. I would assume that the addition of the suppressor wouldn't change that.

Another note: This is a personal decision I made, but would highly suggest cleaning with something besides "the dip". That stuff, while it evidently cleans really well, leaves you with some nasty residue/byproducts. Not worth the risk to me. YMMV. I clean my suppressor cores (all my suppressors are take apart), adapters etc in an ultrasonic. I do not clean my tubes in it though, per the MFG recommendation. I would check with AAC to make sure it is OK for your SDN-6 to go in an US. I would think yes, except that it MAY damage the finish of the tube. The US does a good job of getting the crud off, even my 22lr suppressor which is usually waaaaay NASTY by the time I clean it.
    I personally agree on the dip method, it is definitely some nasty stuff (or rather the residue when the paracetic acid gets ahold of the lead is...) but if it were the only viable option I would.

The 762SD cans are full inconel, so they should be fine with pretty much any manner of cleaning, but I will check.

Boolit Bub
    Soak the can in warm lacquer thinner, if you care to remove plastic bits easily. Rinse the outside and threads with clean solvent after.

The plastic will just burn out eventually on its own otherwise, reducing to carbon.

Boolit Buddy
    Ya know the wet “thwock” sound when you drop a fresh (thawed) chicken on the floor? Same sound when you hit a crow at 50 yards.
    I know exactly what you mean - except crows are hard to kill with subsonic 22's - I watched a buddy make several body shots at around 75 yards... Thunk, wait, crow flies away, too funny. Head shots work though. Its a good challenge to make head shots on crows out past 50 yards...
    Smooth is Fast

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by R3104D3R View Post
    Soak the can in warm lacquer thinner, if you care to remove plastic bits easily. Rinse the outside and threads with clean solvent after.

The plastic will just burn out eventually on its own otherwise, reducing to carbon.
    That should work just fine to remove PC fouling ..
    I have yet to see any myself
    I shoot a lot of AR15 PC coated bullets ( several calibers) and I would think I would be seeing some on the gas tube or the back of the bolt. so far none at all in over 2000 rds
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingerdoc View Post
    I know exactly what you mean - except crows are hard to kill with subsonic 22's - I watched a buddy make several body shots at around 75 yards... Thunk, wait, crow flies away, too funny. Head shots work though. Its a good challenge to make head shots on crows out past 50 yards...

I've found several brands of "standard" velocity 22LR that are subsonic out of a 16" barrel. Lots cheaper (and easier to find) then "subsonic" rounds. It's just amazing how much noise that little .22 bullet makes when it breaks Mach one. Since the 7.62 can works so well I've given up the desire to buy a .22 can.
    Doug

Boolit Buddy
    Cans are like guns...you can never have just one!
    Smooth is Fast

Boolit Master
    I've found several brands of "standard" velocity 22LR that are subsonic out of a 16" barrel. Lots cheaper (and easier to find) then "subsonic" rounds. It's just amazing how much noise that little .22 bullet makes when it breaks Mach one. Since the 7.62 can works so well I've given up the desire to buy a .22 can.
    CCI Standard Velocity is my number one choice for 16 inch barreled 22lr. Accurate and subsonic. All but the hyper velocity stuff will stay subsonic out of a 4.5" or less barrel. The regular high velocity stuff is louder than standard velocity, but is still subsonic. I shoot bulk pack stuff out of my 22 pistols and CCI SV out of my rifles.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    CCI Standard Velocity is my number one choice for 16 inch barreled 22lr. Accurate and subsonic. All but the hyper velocity stuff will stay subsonic out of a 4.5" or less barrel. The regular high velocity stuff is louder than standard velocity, but is still subsonic. I shoot bulk pack stuff out of my 22 pistols and CCI SV out of my rifles.
    I don't know, but my CCI blazer high velocity register at ~1250fps out of a 20" barrel.. and with the supersonic crack.