Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixed 6 on a #1

Boolit Master
    Timspawn,

To help me understand the issue, I hope to some day see it first hand.

If it is not a stature or some other physical situation it comes down to one of two causes.

The stance of the person using the firearm or a scope that not well designed.

As said, I really like to see the situation first hand as I have just owned to many firearms and handled to many other firearms for too many years and all without such issues to be able to fully understand what is happening.

I've had some scopes which were less then good, but they were soon replaced with those of proven usefulness.

I currently own and use a RUGER #1 "S" which is the same size as the 1A, differing only in caliber as it is a 45/70. I have had two different 2X7 Leupolds mounted on the rifle, both of which have worked fine.

On past #1s I have mounted a number of other Leupold scopes (6X, 3X9, 2X7 and 3.5X10), at least one Weaver 10X, a Lyman 10X and a Leupold 10X and none of those gave any such issues, so you might see how I am having problems fully understanding.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 01-16-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Boolit Man
    Still need some help on which extension rings would work. How would these rings fit onto the rifle-a Number One. Rechecked the other rifles here. The 4x Leupold is far enough for the turrets to be butted up against the rear ring and is marginal concerning the eye relief. No problems with the Burris 3x9. Would really like to use the Leupold scopes on these rifles.

You may be able to use one extension ring with your standard ring, or you may need two extension rings. Whether you use one or two of these will depend on your scope.

As produced and sold by Ruger

http://shopruger.com/Offset-Medium-S...uctinfo/90276/

Same ring also available at Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/681...o-matte-medium

Optics Planet has them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    Optics Planet has them in stock.
    Indeed, it appears that they might. However, they have the wrong picture, and you'll need to be careful that they send you the correct part. However, they do have the correct Ruger part number (90276).

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ruger-sc...set-90276.html

Boolit Master
    It is a real problem in spite of what some people think. Crawling up a stock to see through a short eye relief scope is a very bad habit that can get you bonked on the eye brow. I like to shoot a rifle with about the same head position I used for 15 years of skeet shooting, which is approximately what anyone would use for shooting doves or quail.
    It is well known around the planet that a 3.5" or less eye relief like a 3X9 Leupold on a Ruger #1 is not very comfortable to shoot.

I am neither short necked nor handicapped but I do have eye relief issues with my 1A's. It also seems plenty of other people (not all) have the same issue.
    EDG

I am thinking of putting a Leupold fixed 6X on a #1A.
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    It is a real problem in spite of what some people think. Crawling up a stock to see through a short eye relief scope is a very bad habit that can get you bonked on the eye brow. I like to shoot a rifle with about the same head position I used for 15 years of skeet shooting, which is approximately what anyone would use for shooting doves or quail.
    It is well known around the planet that a 3.5" or less eye relief like a 3X9 Leupold on a Ruger #1 is not very comfortable to shoot.
    The scope the OP asked about has 4.3" of eye relief.

I went ahead and ordered offset rings. This way my bases are covered. I have a Leupold fixed 4X compact in the safe, I may try that before I buy a new scope.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I almost exclusively use Leupold scopes and have a bunch of them. One of the things I really like about them is the easy eye relief and the fact that there is lots of it. I also have 4 No1s and three have scopes. The turrets always seem to be in the wrong spot with Leupolds on the No1s and I usually manage to get it ok, but it is always borderline. The extended or offset rings sound good.

Modern good quality and even most budget variable scopes are reliable devices and many shooters shun them in favour of 'reliable' fixed powers. This is a bit like drivers who run their headlights periodically on a trip to stop the battery being overcharged, even though we have had effective voltage regulators for a century or so.

I think it was Elmer Keith who was given a 6x scope to test and when out hunting with it was charged by a very angry bear. He threw the rifle up and all he could see was fur in the scope! That one didn't last long. I use 6x fixed M8 Leupolds on 222s and the like, but not for bigger stuff.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 01-22-2015 at 11:11 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I have noticed that almost all scopes that the military uses are now variable power which shows that they are reliable, a fixed power "might" have a sharper picture but will be subjective to who is doing the viewing and under what conditions.

Your military have been using variables since Vietnam from what I can see.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    My two main #1's are woods rifles..One is a .45/70 and the other is a .405 win.. I have the Leupold VX3 1.5x5 powered scopes on both.. I also use two Ruger offset rings.. I don't crawl the stock on any rifle to get a full field of view.Just wherever my face most comfortably fits the stock, and then the scopes must be set up to meet my requirement. As far as a Fixed powered scope of 4X or 6X I like them very much on a rifle that I will use to hunt open ground.. I don't like them on a woods rifle, where my average shot will be 50 yds.. They are good and strong.I have had a Swarovski 6X on a Steyr Professional rifle for thirty years.. I have taken many head of game with that rifle and never had to adjust the scope at all in 30years.
    My old hunting buddy recently ask me if I wanted to sell that rilfe..I said..Ah...No.
    Last edited by Clay M; 01-23-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fixed my eye relief issues by shortening the stock. Hate long lengths of pull. Between my short little arms and looking like the Michelin Man when it's cold, I like a short length of pull.

Boolit Man
    Searched out the Ruger rings speaking with the Ruger online store. Never got a satisfactory answer. Ordinary Ruger rings cannot be reversed unless modified. Nobody could tell me if there were some extension rings that could be placed, or reversed, to allow the scope more rearward travel. In the meantime a Weaver 3x has been installed using the Ruger medium rings with no problem. I figured if the extension ring were placed in the back the scope would be too far back bringing another set of problems and a busted head. Still looking.

Boolit Master
    I have never had a cut brow,and I have owned .458 win mags and .416 Rem Mags,and .375 H&H..
    That is why I say I never crawl the stock on a rifle.If the scope won't work, then I get a scope that will.
    I always take the new rings on a Ruger #1 and send them back to Ruger and swap them for two offset or extention rings..

Boolit Master
    You don't want the rings butting up against the turret unless you gave a desire to ruin a scope. I learned the hard way about that.

On my #1B chambered in 30/06 A.I., I put a fixed six Leupold and had to use the doublenoffset rings to make me happy. My #1B in 7mm remmag just needed one offset ring.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have a 1B in 270Win. Put a 2.5x8VXIII on it, sighted it in, and never touched it since. that was back in 1986.

it has ALMOST enough eye relief

I lean into my rifles when I shoot, and find most scopes don't have near enough options to move them forward far enough.

as well, I would like, if I could (like I do on my Handis) have the scope ahead of the breech block. I hated having to fight putting rounds in if I have my shooting gloves on when I'm in a hurry for a second shot. (I have since changed my attitude and only take one shot, a sure one. Any doubt and I pass on it)
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Thanks for the link to the offset scope rings. They appear to only be available in 25mm / 1 inch which is a shame as I have a new Leupold VX6 1-6x24 and it is an amazing (if a tad expensive) scope and I was toying with the idea of fitting it to the No1s. The turrets seem to be in a different spot so it would probably get by on the standard 30mm rings.

I checked my No1s in 303 British and 375H&H. The 303 has a M8 6x fitted as a temporary measure as it is still a range rifle, running in and working out loads, et and the 375H&H has a Leupold VariX111 1.5 - 4 (or 5, I can't remember 100%). The big un' is also in the load development / running in phase, but that scope sits well on it and will probably remain. Both have the turrets crowded a tad and the positioning of the scopes is less than ideal.

The two 338WMs I have, a 1B and a Medium Sporter have an old Leupold 3-9 (no model marked on it, so it is old) and the Sporter has either an M8 6x as a temp measure or a Vari X11 2-7, I can't quite remember and it is pouring rain and my motorcycle and a heap of junk are in front of that safe. From memory, the scope positioning is also less than ideal.

It looks like I will be reviewing the situation and ordering some offset rings to get the positioning perfect.

I am considering rebarrelling the 1B to a 222 and one of those old M8 6X scopes would be ideal.

Boolit Man
    Ran into a similar discussion of rings in another place. Evidently, the ring is listed as "offset" rather than extended. The number for this ring is 4BO by this account. The other source continued explaining that this ring is difficult to find and subject higher than list price by the scalpers. I attempted to find some from Ruger in New Hampshire. None were in stock and the sales person said she was uncertain when they would have any more. Got a much better answer here than at the Ruger store. I asked using the 4BO nomenclature . Looks like it's going to be the 3x Weaver for a time. Incidentally , I was sixteenth call in line. Be ready to sit for a while,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast