MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question on PP direction

Dumb Question on PP direction

If I wish to patch for a right hand twist barrel would I lay the bullet on the patch pointing the nose to left or right? Next would it be best to roll bullet away from me or down to me, if patch is placed vertical to me?

Boolit Grand Master

You want the patch inthe rifling to get tighter the experts say. I normally lay yhe patch so it is against the railof my patching board with top point against rail. set bullet on patch facing right against nose stop. roll patch overhang onto bullet and roll in groove away from me till patch is wrapped around bullet and snugged up. pick up bullet and with 2 fingers roll form around base and form tail if you leave one. You can always try ut both ways and see which works for you and what your rifle likes. Yoy can also experiment with the angle cut in or out to see if it makes any diffrence. Shoot over a clean area on a clam day and recover the patches see what they tell you.

Boolit Buddy
    Do what works best for you.
    Try roll'n each way and listen to your target.
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

I have left hand twists and right hand twists. It makes no difference from what I see. I have tried it both ways patched wet and dry.
    I patch dry and get the best accuracy doing it.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Roll the patches on which ever way it is comfortable for you to do it. The direction makes no difference, but a tight fitting patch, a sharp fold over the base, and how far up the ogive you go will all make a difference.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    If you are patching to bore diameter, it probably does not matter which way you wrap the patch. That is because the bullet is up in the bore before the shot is fired.

When patching to groove diameter, I proved to my own satisfaction that the direction does matter.
    For a right-hand twist barrel, I will point the bullet nose to the left and roll away from me.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I wrap so that with the rotation of the bullet tightens on the patch itself.
    Keep the tip of the bullet to my left and wrap and away from me.
    The tip of the patch always towards the tip of the bullet, finished wrapping the patch the other tip will fall on the bottom of the bullet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RollingandDrying.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	127943
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I've not tried shooting any patched 45-70 ammo yet but I purchased a book about 4 years ago as I wanted to start using PP ammo. I have seen Don McDowell mention this book in his postings and I have a great respect for Don as he has won matches using PP ammo.
    The book is called "Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets a Beginner's Guide" by Randolph S Wright. This book is a very easy one to read and understand as the author has diagrams that show each and every thing that he talks about. It shows you the basics to becoming an accomplished PP shooter. It has helped me understand the art of PP and although my health problems may stop me from shooting the BPCR matches with PP, it will allow me to play with them on a local scale. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I've not tried shooting any patched 45-70 ammo yet but I purchased a book about 4 years ago as I wanted to start using PP ammo. I have seen Don McDowell mention this book in his postings and I have a great respect for Don as he has won matches using PP ammo.
    The book is called "Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets a Beginner's Guide" by Randolph S Wright. This book is a very easy one to read and understand as the author has diagrams that show each and every thing that he talks about. It shows you the basics to becoming an accomplished PP shooter. It has helped me understand the art of PP and although my health problems may stop me from shooting the BPCR matches with PP, it will allow me to play with them on a local scale. Later David
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    When did that happen?

Boolit Master
    I believe Don won the Marksman class at Raton this past fall, seem to recall him coming home with a beautiful rifle to boot. What he has won is more important, the respect and admiration of most of the entire Creedmoor BP Target Rifle community for his tenacity and continued improvement in scores. He is one of the most sharing helpful guys and encouraging guys for our sport on the web today. He will always have mine-Jimbo-Bryan's friendship and support.

KW

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    I believe Don won the Marksman class at Raton this past fall...................... KW
    Shooting Paper Patch bullets?

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Thanks Kenny, you Jimbo and Bryan have all been great inspiration to me, and have never faultered in helping me learn the long range game, and your friendships will never be overlooked or go unappreciated. Micheal Rix, Michael Jackson, Eron Ahmer, and Zack Taylor have all been really supportive, Dan Theodore has been a great help along the way as well.
    You guys that haven't got out to shoot in competition really need to give it a go, there are some great folks out there that will help you along the way, and I've said it before and it still holds true, you will learn more about your loads in a weekends shooting match than you will in a year shooting in the comfort of home..
    August and September were quite good to me. Beginning with the Wy. 22 championship in A Class scope, then on to the Rocky Mtn regional with the high Sharpshooter/Marksman award, then the Colorado state shoot where after finding a front sight aperature I could borrow , shot the high b class score on Sunday. Which included 7 straight pigs, paper patch blowtubing.. Then Raton was a hoot in that wind. High Marksman my first year of actually having enough rounds down range to be classified... Then winning that CPA rifle... Last fall was one for the memory books for sure. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001_zpsd642b746.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	131562

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    Shooting Paper Patch bullets?

RRR
    Yes I was the only shooter that shot patched bullets for the entire contest. I did shoot 1 1/2 relay the first day of creedmoor with a greaser but the wind was way to much for the length of that bullet in the 19 twist. So in the middle of the 900 yd target when the wind picked up and after 4 rounds into score without a scoring shot, I switched back to my Brooks patched bullet and salvaged that with a 41 or thereabouts. Never went back to the greasers, and probably won't in the 44-77.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    I believe Don won the Marksman class at Raton this past fall, seem to recall him coming home with a beautiful rifle to boot. What he has won is more important, the respect and admiration of most of the entire Creedmoor BP Target Rifle community for his tenacity and continued improvement in scores. He is one of the most sharing helpful guys and encouraging guys for our sport on the web today. He will always have mine-Jimbo-Bryan's friendship and support.

KW

The National BPTR for 2014 scores are right here: http://competitions.nra.org/document...tr-results.pdf

There is only one shooter that gets MW (Match Winner) behind his name at any NRA match. Class winners are great, and a lot of really great guys win their respective classes. But winning a class is not the same as winning a match and to imply that it is the same or even close is a disservice to the true winner. I've never won a national championship, and I would never imply that I have either, though I have won my class several times. I am not aware of anyone here on this thread that has won a national match (with or w/o paper patches), but there are some people who like to imply that they have won a championship when they really have won just a class, often with only 1 or 2 other guns in that class to compete against. The only placement that matters to me in the end is the number of spaces between me and the one (and only one) match winner. So, I go to the posted scores and start counting from the top.

I can count one hand, all the people that have won an NRA Regional or National match in BPTR or BPCR using paper patches and still have fingers left over.

Winning one's class is fun and can even be lucrative thanks to great folks like MVA in particular and many other vendors and supporters of these matches (Gail and Paul Shuttleworth, owners of CPA Stevens Rifles are the only rifle makers that support the national championships and they are GREAT folks). But there is only one true match winner, and no one should claim or imply otherwise. It is a disservice to the rifleman and his spotter, they earned that honor and no one else.

PS. for those that are not NRA competitors, it is also worth pointing out that one can win one's class officially, and yet not have the highest score in one's class. That is the one truly bizarre thing about the way NRA scoring works, but winning one's class is certainly an achievement to be proud of. It's just not on par with being Match Winner.

I just read last night that left handed rolls let the paper unravel as it goes down the barrel, and falls off as it exits.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    I just read last night that left handed rolls let the paper unravel as it goes down the barrel, and falls off as it exits.
    Absolutely NOTHING unrolls as it goes down the barrel. I like to roll mine so that AFTER exiting the barrel, the patch would unroll. However, I know full well, this is not necessary, and it has no effect that is measurable on targets that are properly analysed. Still, it makes me feel good and there can't be any harm in it, it just doesn't put points on the board.

Boolit Bub
    Just how can a patch unroll when the bullet gets sent down the bore with the lead expands and gets pushed tight into the grooves????????

Boolit Master
    As for patching direction, I agree with Kurt, it does not mater, mine at exit at the muzzle it is small tiny confetti, I wet patch, dry them on on a coffee warmer plate. I do use a sponge In a saucer to wet my patches.
    KW

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    The National BPTR for 2014 scores are right here: http://competitions.nra.org/document...tr-results.pdf
    Thanks for posting the link. I didn't know about BPTR.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast