Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caution! This Site Ruins Lives!

Boolit Buddy

Caution! This Site Ruins Lives!

Yep with out question. Consider this. Before I found this site I probably had about eight molds,(All Lymans), pistol and rifle. I was happy.

BUT NOT NOW ,I have a couple dozen thanks to Al at NOE and the boys here at the site.

Too many choices,all good by the way (Not a bad shooter in the bunch), now I can't be gruppy anymore.

Used to be I just set my pot to whatever the dial read and believed it,No MORE, I now have a thermostat and can regulate the temp to the sweet spot, (mine seems to be 675) and speaking about sweet spots, I now have a probe on my molds, Yep that works too, BUT IT,S SOMETHING ELSE TO WATCH!

Used to be you got a mold and took your time waiting to break them in ( something to look forward to) , now these new molds from Al you just wash off, heat a couple of times, smoke 'em if you want and start dropping good boolets right out of the gate! BUT WHERE IS THE FUN! (re-member waiting for the ketchup to run to the mouth of the old glass bottle?)

Don't even get me started with lube!
    Had been using Lee Liquid Alox ( You know the little 4 oz bottle), along with my 50/50,BUT NOT NOW!

I Just got a 32oz. bottle of xlox from Glen and a bottle of Jhonson Liguid Paste Wax.
    I now have about 42 oz of Ben's LL Alox for the price of 4 bottles of Lee's stuff, Can't be gruppy about that!

I was happy with 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" groups @ 100 yds with my 1903's an A3's,
    NO MORE!, If I don't come home with at least 50% @ 3/4" or under, I consider the day just so-so.

Used to be I could take my time working up loads to shoot 1 MOA, NOT ANY MORE!.

My last two mew 30 cal moulds from Al shot 3/4" @ 100 yds out of the box, one recipe each. OK ,NOW WHAT!

Wheel weights were fine by me, they almost gave them away at the garages, remember?

Not anymore, I now know about 20-1,10-1 add tin (2%), my new alloy 4 parts wheel weights, 1 part Lino.
    Oh and sizing boolets! I once had one sizing die for 30 cal.(and was happy),NOT ANY MORE.

I could go on and on, but what's the use!

I am 67 ,I used to worry about SS running out, now I worry that I won't have time to fully explore all the goodies that pop up on this site!

At 67 I thought you are supposed to be a gruppy old man, but it is getting harder with all the help I have gotten here.

Does this site really ruin lives? I will let you decide and by the way, to those still with us and those who have passed, THANKS GUYS!

Boolit Grand Master

I dont really see the problem.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm not quite 50 and since finding and really digging into this site I've gone from a little 6 foot table a Partner, a RockChucker, 2 MECs ,a couple 50 cal cans ,1 20mm can and 2 medicine cabinets .
    Now I have a 3x5 ,2RC ,a Load Master, 3 scales ,4 powder measures , a 3 x6 cabinet for dies ,bullets and dodads like length tuned trimmer pilots and custom expander pins . Then there's a 6ft bench for 3 MECs a Pacific and 3 20mm cans of cases and at least 12 flavors of wads . (What was I thinking getting by with CSD 118,RXP 12 and RXP 20)
    I wouldn't have believed that I would "need" 4 38/357 moulds and 2 more 9mm moulds or 5 45 moulds to keep a couple of pistols and a carbine happy. Who's bright idea was it to start paper patching? Now there's another 6 foot bench with 3 shelves of just casting gear and that has pushed the gun tools from 3 30 cal cans and a 1 piece into a dedicated 4 drawer top box and a small umbrella stand. 100# at a time was fine 10 years ago too,but not now, oh no now I make road trips for picnics to long all alone middle of the desert hi way full stop junctions and walk 200 yd on all 8 shoulders. I walk down clean often sweeped streets and look at the storm drains thinking "I bet there's 20 lbs of WW down there if I had a 4 ft pole magnet it could be mine", my MIL even picks up WW for me and hagles a guy down to $10 for a $25 box at a storage with 3 bags of lead shot in it .
    I blame it all on this place . Like you they have my thanks or there would only be cast in an old knock about 38 and it would have never been possible to even be thinking about it for a Magnum rifle . ( Why isn't that 260_120 here yet how will I ever get that 6.5 ready for deer season ,just in case I happen to draw) .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I once ran a boat for a man who was fond of saying "When a man runs out of projects he dies". He sold the boat and was gone in six months. Thanks to this site, using his theory, I should be around for the next two centuries. Excuse me I need to go see if there are any new mold group buys
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I dont really see the problem.

^^^^^^^^^There it is.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I'm not quite 50 and since finding and really digging into this site I've gone from a little 6 foot table a Partner, a RockChucker, 2 MECs ,a couple 50 cal cans ,1 20mm can and 2 medicine cabinets .
    Now I have a 3x5 ,2RC ,a Load Master, 3 scales ,4 powder measures , a 3 x6 cabinet for dies ,bullets and dodads like length tuned trimmer pilots and custom expander pins . Then there's a 6ft bench for 3 MECs a Pacific and 3 20mm cans of cases and at least 12 flavors of wads . (What was I thinking getting by with CSD 118,RXP 12 and RXP 20)
    I wouldn't have believed that I would "need" 4 38/357 moulds and 2 more 9mm moulds or 5 45 moulds to keep a couple of pistols and a carbine happy. Who's bright idea was it to start paper patching? Now there's another 6 foot bench with 3 shelves of just casting gear and that has pushed the gun tools from 3 30 cal cans and a 1 piece into a dedicated 4 drawer top box and a small umbrella stand. 100# at a time was fine 10 years ago too,but not now, oh no now I make road trips for picnics to long all alone middle of the desert hi way full stop junctions and walk 200 yd on all 8 shoulders. I walk down clean often sweeped streets and look at the storm drains thinking "I bet there's 20 lbs of WW down there if I had a 4 ft pole magnet it could be mine", my MIL even picks up WW for me and hagles a guy down to $10 for a $25 box at a storage with 3 bags of lead shot in it .
    I blame it all on this place . Like you they have my thanks or there would only be cast in an old knock about 38 and it would have never been possible to even be thinking about it for a Magnum rifle . ( Why isn't that 260_120 here yet how will I ever get that 6.5 ready for deer season ,just in case I happen to draw) .
    Now here is some one who knows of what I speak!

Perhaps this thread will lead to a 12 step program for us "CASTERS"

Boolit Buddy
    O-O-O-O-PS ! Maybe Not such a good idea as that 12 step Program could become , "A HOW TO CAST" program.

Really have to be careful here.

I do have to say that casting has brought me to stores I would have never otherwise gone, i.e; Fabric Stores, Dacron filler you know.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I think 12 steps is how I got here ,it all started so innocently. A rifle that threw bullets every where and a Partner kit from RCBS . Then came the Ohause M5 and weighed cases. Then the bulk bullets for the 38, then it was just a little pot a spoon and a few wheel weights ,a 358-158 RNFP and a 452-255 RNFP..... Oh yeah 12 steps?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    BUT im saving money
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hiram1 View Post
    BUT im saving money
    See, now comes the denial.

Actually the denial was the "I don't see the problem"

This is the rationalizing.

Let's just admit we are powerless and have fun.

Moderator Emeritus

All I can say is AMEN to this...thanks square butte for guiding me to my Cast Boolit Family! And thanks to all the ladies and men that have helped me out on my questions....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm... I have smelted about 1,000 lbs of lead because of this site. I have purchased a powder coating system and an oven which I have not used yet. I have 16 moulds and am waiting on one Mihec group buy and I have not casted yet (I do reload J words). I started here with some shotguns, 22's, and my Beretta 92F. I somehow acquired a few 45's including a Ruger Blackhawk. I now have quite a few Marlin leveractions after shooting my first one in 45-70. I don't see an issue at all but my wife does. Funny how that works

Boolit Master

OK, I admit I am powerless, but I still don't see the problem.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

Not only does it ruin lives it destroys myths and old wives tales. But the biggest benifit is the passing of information saving the same mistakes being made over and over. I have learned alot here and hopefully helped some out as well. Its a great group of people

We need a subforum for the wives and husbands of those that cast so they can help each other understand our madness. Then we can sneak a body in to convence them we are really sane and that we don't have a problem. Best to wonder maybe it is the lead fumes that inflict us to do what we do? Thanks to all that corrupted me and have helped me along.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    We need a subforum for the wives and husbands of those that cast so they can help each other understand our madness. Then we can sneak a body in to convence them we are really sane and that we don't have a problem. Best to wonder maybe it is the lead fumes that inflict us to do what we do? Thanks to all that corrupted me and have helped me along.
    CD
    GREAT IDEA !!!!! I know where I will be when they are online

I knew I learned to read for a reason. And this site does keep me from wasting time on YouTube.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

There is something to be said for the cliche, 'ignorance is bliss,' but no more. But I nearly laughted my hide off cause you didn't even mention case cleaning! I see stainless media in your very near future! It sure makes brass prudy, and purdy brass shrinks groups! Baawaahaa
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

OK, so if your normal -- then the rest of us are normal---right ?
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Perma-Banned

I definitely have an unhealthy addiction to this site. It has made my wallet lighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast