MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tin can stove with twigs for fuel

Boolit Man

Tin can stove with twigs for fuel

I understand the physics and thermodynamics involved in the tin can stoves that burn twigs.
    What i am wondering about is the practical use of them Do they do the job and are they a pain
    in the butt to use?

Boolit Master

It works pretty good, it will quickly heat up water for a meal or coffee. But I think these work better for a planned hike : http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    yep look up hobo stoves (uses a #10 tin can). Whole generations of hobos used them (hence the name) to cook off of and feed themselves. what it boils down to (pun intended) is that it is a very efficient use of airflow, fuel, and heating surface if built correctly. I have used one more than once when hunting or camping. It's also where the military got the idea for some of the various designs stoves built to heat canteen cups. The other up side to a tin can or hobo stove is that they are cheap to make, and while they actually will last quite a while when it's time to replace them you usually know well enough in advance to save the next can.

All you really need to build one is a church key, a old style punch can opener (even a p-38 or p-51 will do in a pinch) and some willpower. Sure tin snips and pliers help, but they aren't really needed. Heck if you are determined enough you can build one with nothing but a pocket knife, though would it be worth the risk of killing your pocket knife to build the stove?

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I made some and used them in my early days on camp-outs. They are very easy to make with a church key (everyone carried one in those days to open bottles and cans!) and do work well for what they are intended to do.

Brings back memories!

banger

When it comes to a twig stove you can dig one. A small chimney shaped hole smaller than the pot with a couple of sticks the size of your thumb or a few small rocks to give the pot a little clearance will boil a mess kit pot of water with a handful of sticks. If you cut the sod out to make the hole and put the dirt to the side once you are done you can fill in the hole, put the sod back and leave no trace of your fire. Zero impact on the natural beauty.

We used to make the #10 can stoves and use corrugated cardboard wound inside a cat food can with melted paraffin poured in as the fuel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Burner in fact small rolls of corrugated cardboard dipped in melted wax were our wet weather fire starters well after we had a small camp stove. Few of them in a sandwich bag meant could get a fire going even with wet wood.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    One of the first outdoor gadgets I made as a kid was a tin can stove. You can't beat the idea. Simple, easy to make, virtually free.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    It works pretty good, it will quickly heat up water for a meal or coffee. But I think these work better for a planned hike : http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove
    I have no idea how I've never seen that before
    You do not fight out of hate but rather the love and compassion you have for those you are trying to protect.

Boolit Master

Y'all may be interested in this system: http://www.bioliteenergy.com

Fuel is twigs and sticks, the heat powers a small blast fan, which makes a very hot fire and throws off enough energy to power a USB charging port.

I've supported these guys from early on, just to have 'preparation in depth.'

Boolit Master

Can of C crackers
    save the can it the can stove to cook over
    P38 and B-52
    C4
    can of ham or beef steak
    mustard
    garlic powder
    Serves up a meal fit for a king.

This recipe has NOT been evaluated for hazardous contaminants and carcinogens.

Oh wait cans are gone . . .

Oh well one can heat the pouch and have something decent also.

The following statement has been read, reviewed, evaluated and found to be not PC . . .

You want entertainment, give a left handed person a can and a P-38

Had to see what it said, Huh?
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-28-2017 at 12:40 AM. Reason: corrections/additions
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I prefer it to an open fire in the wild, easier to contain and control.

Works just fine to make a cup of coffee or tea or heat up a meal.

The advantage is no fuel to buy, pick it up as you walk.

The downside is that if you do not have a pocket full of dry fuel and you run into a rainstorm getting a fire started can be tough.

So I prefer a multi pronged attack.

Twig stove (I like the IKEA utensil holder with a fuel opening cut low)
    Alcohol stove (can be simply made from a coke can)
    While retaining the option to do the work for a well banked open fire, Dakota Fire hole, etc.

Boolit Man
    I have used various types while backpacking, hunting and/or motor bike traveling.

There are benefits and drawbacks to each.

The little alcohol stoves work decent, but need a very good wind break, and with the mostly invisible flame you have to be especially attentive, especially close to a tent flap or jacket sleeve.

For using wood as fuel I much prefer a volcano stove like this one made of titanium. They weigh nothing, and pack down small. There is a learning curve to getting the right amount of fuel burning and not smothering it out, but it is pretty handy.

Plus when you are big game hunting in cold and wet weather, very few things are a better mid day morale boost than a hot cup of coffee or tea, or some soup.

Boolit Man

Boolit Man

The alcohol kits can be pretty handy to toss in day packs for hot drinks pretty much anywhere, and they don't smoke like the rocket stove/twig stoves do.

Boolit Man
    Hard to see the flames..

Boolit Man
    I have cooked a lot of Ramen and cocoa while using the Ti Volcano stove:

Boolit Man

They are kind of fun to fiddle with while you relax and have a hot cup, while the sun goes down in the mountains.

Boolit Man
    Same with camping along the Salmon River:

Don't forget the GI heat tablet and heat bar stoves, for wet weather you can use the trioximane fuel to ignite wet wood. Or as fuel for a small tin can stove.

The stove fits in a pocket https://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Ultrali..._encoding=UTF8

Heat bars https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Military-.../dp/B00GJ08WIC
    I have used these bars to start a fire in very wet wood, the heat is enough to dry twigs and small sticks. There are a couple of packs always in my day pack.

One down side to those coke can alcohol stoves is you have to make sure you have enough fuel up front, and dumping any leftover back is not easy. Only shut off is cut off the air supply with a cap or cover. But for light weight they have a solid claim to fame.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Was at Lowes the other day and saw some fire logs, called Timber log. It is a kiln dry peice of log with a hole down the center and one crossways with a fire starter stick in it. Burns from the center out. Not what I would buy at 12 dollars plus each. Would make a nice compact hand warmer fire though. Definatly not a back pack item. Can stoves are pretty fuel conservative and put out great amount of heat.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Wife got me one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Ultr...canister+stove
    Etekcity Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stoves with Piezo Ignition (Orange)

• DURABLE MATERIAL: Made of aluminum alloy and stainless steel which can stand high temperature and weight
    • COMPACT AND COLLAPSIBLE: Design is perfect for ultralight camping and backpacking. Come with carrying case for enhanced portability
    • BROAD COMPATIBLITY: Compatible with any 7/16 thread single butane/butane-propane mixed fuel canisters (EN 417)
    • FLAME CONTROL: Adjustable control valve for fast maximum heat output all the way down to a simmer quickly and efficiently.
    • LEAVE NO TRACE: Adheres to "Leave No Trace" principles set forth by the US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and National Park Service. Burns clean, with no debris or soot left behind. 1 Year WARRANTY
    • ​Uses 10 oz canister that is rechargable per youtube
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast