Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking for 7mm-08 cast boolit help

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge

Asking for 7mm-08 cast boolit help

Well, hunting season is about over for my son and I down here in South Louisiana and it has been a success. I have shot 2 deer with the rifles we bought during the summer and my son has had the chance to shoot at 6 deer but unfortunately he missed all 6 times due to the ranges the deer were at. Part of him missing is that he did not get much trigger time on his rifle for many different reasons. What I am wanting to do now is find a good cast bullet for his gun so that I get him on the trigger plenty this summer. 1 member (whom I do not remember) sent me some rounds loaded with a flat tip lead bullet that would not chamber in either of my 2 rifles and when I seated the bullets deep enough to chamber, the bullet just feel in the case. So I would like some other recommendations for a cast bullet mold and below is what I can do with it.

Caliber 7mm-08
    Lube - I have a Star luber and I also coat my pistol bullets with Red Copper Hytek coating.
    Powders - in my area I can get IMR 4895, Imr 4350 and H380 routinely. I have all 3 on hand. There is no Accurate or Allaint powders to be seen in my area. I also have Ramshot Sillouhette, 231 and Titegroup available.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I have a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 and have never had acceptable accuracy with any load combination tried with jacketed, possibly due to an extremely short throat. I've considered having it re-throated & using cast. Here's what I considered;

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

for my son's youth rifle I have a small ring Mauser in 7x57mm it like many military rifles of it's day the throat is cut on the large side. I started using a Lyman mold 287641 which is a 160gr silhouette boolit it worked ok , but it is very much a long nose bore riding boolit. I have started casting a Lyman 287346 which is a 135gr RN it is a not shorter no the nose and for entree level young shooter I think it will do very well.

Boolit Master

I was going to try cast from my grandsons 7/08 but the throat was to short for the RCBS 145gr sil and Saeco#071- 160gr boolets.

Boolit Grand Master
    I realize that you're asking about cast in the 7 - 08.

However my 7 mm rifle is a Ruger 7 X 57 mm. As to ballistics , the 7 - 08 and the 7 X 57 are VERY similar. Mild low pressure loads for one will often times work in the other one well.

My 7X57 is a nail driver with the Lee, 132 gr. ( sometimes called the Soup Can Cast bullet ). Sized .2863 ", gas checks are my own .014" Amerimax aluminum checks, loaded with 10.0 grs. of Alliant Unique.

A lot of people say there is something magical about 10.0 grs. of Unique. Maybe they are right ...... ? ?

Soup can's below that are lubed with Ben's Red and then rolled in Ben's Liquid Lube :

Can you tell that I like this cast bullet ?

I can't make any comments about the Hy-tech coatings in the 7 mm as I have no experience with that. This load ( if it would work well in your 7 mm-08 ) would give your son the needed trigger time he needs right now.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-13-2015 at 08:47 AM.

How's the 7mm soupcan work on deer??

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevmc View Post
    How's the 7mm soupcan work on deer??
    If you hit in the boiler room you will have a dead deer, it is as simple as that. Hit elsewhere and you may not. Course, a hit elsewhere with my 405 Win. may not end up with a dead deer, either!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man
    6 shots - 6 misses!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

They don't look like soup cans, why the name? Or did a man named John Soupcan design it ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    6 shots - 6 misses!!!!!
    A 9 yr old - little trigger time - deer at 150-250yds = misses. Funny thing is he looks at me after every shot fired and all I can tell him is the load another round and keep shooting.
    Last edited by toddrod; 01-14-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
    A 9 yr old - little trigger time - deer at 150-250yds = misses. Funny thing is he looks at me after every shoot fired and all I can tell him is the load another round and keep shooting.
    Load him up a load of ammo and get him some range time.

Banned

I really hope that they WERE misses!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I really hope that they WERE misses!
    When the deer just stand there looking and then slowly walk back into the woods I guarantee they were misses.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    Load him up a load of ammo and get him some range time.
    I have 200 Sierra 120g prohunter bullets and plenty of 4895 to make reduced loads for him. After that I will start casting for his gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
    A 9 yr old - little trigger time - deer at 150-250yds = misses. Funny thing is he looks at me after every shot fired and all I can tell him is the load another round and keep shooting.
    That's appalling!
    I could say a lot more about how you are teaching your son to hunt, but would be banned in 2 seconds flat!

Boolit Buddy
    I do not understand what is appalling? It was clean misses. No deer were injured. I watch every shot he made and he closed his eyes right before he pulled the trigger. Easy enough fix with more practice. He still enjoyed the hunts.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have seen times when deer and elk have taken good hits with cast bullets, with absolutely no reaction. Some would eventually fall where they were, others would wander off a few dozen yards and die. Taking any shot at game, and not going to absolutely check to see if it was a miss is irresponsible, and teaching poor habits to a new hunter. Lots of jacketed bullet shooters also expect to see an animal drop immediately, which does not always happen.
    His shots should be limited to a range that he has proven he can shoot at responsibly, plus a lot more trigger time. An air gun may help for off season practice.

I am also appalled at this.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen, where we hunt at is in the middle of the swamp. These deer are moving across water covered pipelines. The bullet impact on the water was clearly visible to the right, or left of the deer for each shot fired.

For the off season the above mentioned loads as well as his 22 rifle will be used for more practice.

Moderator Emeritus
    Midsouth has this mold in stock in their special order section.

Boolit Grand Master
    An ethical hunter that is 9, 19, 29, or 59 years of age should only take shots on game animals where there is a VERY HIGH probability of a clean, quick kill with one shot.

A 9 yr. old shooting 150 - 250 yards at deer who is obviously questionable with his current shooting skills ( 6 rounds fired - 6 misses ), you draw your own conclusions on all this...............

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-15-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast